cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Usage +Surf

N/A

Usage +Surf

Hope someone can help

I am currently using the Broadband Plus £14.99 service and was wondering whether there is any date usage cap e.g. 2GB on the service?

I posted earlier about someone possibly using file sharing on my wireless network when we had expressly agreed not to use such services and am worried about going over any pre-defined limit. Last month 4gb was used.

Also I have activated the surf option in settings so file-sharing is supposedly disabled however large volumes of data are still being transferred. How can I make sure that programs like Ares cant connect?

Thanks
20 REPLIES
worm
Grafter

Usage +Surf

Depends on your setup in the main, but most Routers will be capable of stopping traffic before it gets to the network.

Having said that, on a Broadand Plus account there is no problem with a usage level like you describe - you only start having problems if you start getting up towards 100GB per month.
Alecto
Grafter

Usage +Surf

You can set your software firewall to block whatever programs you like on your machine.
But the thing about Plus is you can't really overuse it as they simply slow it down automatically if they feel they need to.

4Gb is light use by most standards.
N/A

Usage +Surf

cheers guys but it is not my machine I am worried about

Just paranoid about the whole legality issue and would rather have greater control over these kinds of things.

Will look into port blocking (although I know nothing about it!)
Alecto
Grafter

Usage +Surf

It's not port blocking.
If you've got a software firewall such as Sygate Personal free firewall, you can tell it not to let whatever progam you like access the internet.
Port blocking is no use as you can just change the port.
But if it's on somebody else's computer, I don't know a lot you can do.

Though BB Plus will make file sharing so slow that the culprit should get fed up of it quite quickly.
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 5

Usage +Surf

Are you saying that someone is connecting to your wireless network without your permission? If so, I am guessing that you don't have any security set up on your Wireless access point.. If so it is definately worth setting some encription on it. If this is the case. Post what access point you have, and I'm sure someone will be able to give you instructions on how to set it up.

Phil
worm
Grafter

Usage +Surf

indeed - there are two or three very basic step you can take to stop 'unauthorised' use of your Wireless link
N/A

Usage +Surf

no it is a housemate. She pays me to access the network! - I have 128bit WEP enabled as I couldnt get WPA working.

I notice significantly greater speeds when this housemate isnt in the house though.
Laser
Grafter

Usage +Surf

This is a bit of a long shot, but if you aren't convinced that it is specific software causing problems, it could be the wireless network itself.

I run two computers on a wireless network, and when I first had them set up I quickly noticed that running each one under differing wireless standards (802.11b and 802.11g, for example) would certainly work, but would run mind-bendingly slowly if both were active at the same time. Must be something to do with the wireless AP having to continually reset the protocols. Or something. :?

Perhaps your housemate is using an alternative standard to your machine? (54Mbps vs 108Mbps etc.)
Ben_Brown
Grafter

Usage +Surf

If you activate the "Surf" componant on your account this will block p2p altogether. You can find this in the "Connection Settings" area of the site.
N/A

Usage +Surf

Ares will work regardless how you have "surf" set.
Mind you, it's a pretty ropey P2P set up.
N/A

Usage +Surf

how do you mean "a proper ropey P2P set up" ?
N/A

Usage +Surf

If you activate the "Surf" componant on your account this will block p2p altogether. You can find this in the "Connection Settings" area of the site.

Could you give me a direct link for this as I can't seem to find it. Shockedops: Shockedops:
Community Veteran

Usage +Surf

N/A

Usage +Surf

For many though, including me, the "Surf" option appears to do nothing in relation to P2P.