cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Upto 8mb: Any form of ETA?

N/A

As this year comes to a close in the next week or so, was wondering about the 8mb upgrades. The emails was sent out months and months ago informing us about it and still we are left waiting.

Has BT actually given any sort of ETA on when it will be widely available to customers as im sure my exchange has been upgraded and ready to fire it up.

Any bit of info would be good to know.
Thanks in advance,

Have a very Merry Xmas everyone and all the very best for 2006.
12 REPLIES
JonathanW
Grafter

Hi,

BT are currently in the process of rolling these speeds out, though this is currently on a trial basis. They're hoping to get it rolled out to the majority of exchanges by April next year.
Community Veteran

Nothing has changed since this Q was last asked....

http://portal.plus.net/central/forums/viewtopic.php?t=36818
N/A

Wanadoo 8Mb Broadband £14.99pm

Just wondering why plusnet are so slow to introduce it, wanadoo is offering 8 MB FOR 14.99 FOR 6 MONTHS NOW ! ?

malibu Cool
Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

If it was not still in BT trials and was available on you exchange PN would give it to you today.

BT national rollout is not due until the spring.

PN are also looking at LLU with two providers - again this is just at the point of trials starting.
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£13/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
Ben_Brown
Grafter

We are waiting for BT to do the work required to put this in place. I might be wrong but I don't think wandoo have been supplying 8MB for that amount of time, also you may want to take a look at their terms of use.
N/A

Wanadoo are also looking at Spring 2006 before most of there customers get up to 8Mb
Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

Re: Wanadoo 8Mb Broadband £14.99pm

wanadoo is offering 8 MB FOR 14.99 FOR 6 MONTHS NOW ! ?

Check your area at http://www.wanadoo.co.uk/time/8meg.htm - it's a pretty short list!

My area isn't on the list. Why not?
We're upgrading those areas where we have the largest number of customers - parts of Bristol, Leeds, Manchester, Birmingham and London should be able to get speeds of up to 8 Meg by the end of 2005.

We're upgrading loads more areas for spring 2006 and most of the UK will be able to handle speeds of up to 8 Meg by the end of 2006.
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£13/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
___oDiN__
Grafter

the cap on 8meg with wannado @14.99 is 2gb i think

A 2GB usage allowance is the best option for most people. Just pick Standard when you sign up.

We’ve also got two bigger options for broadband fanatics.

Use our calculator to find out which one is right for you

http://www.wanadoo.co.uk/time/broadbandaccess/

8mb with 2gb
lol lol lol
N/A

I'm a bit confused as to why if one supplier, in this case Wannado can offer 8 meg at a certain exchange but PlusNet cannot.
As I understand it, perhaps wrongly, the necessary equipment at the exchange is supplied and installed by BT and open to use by any ISP. Or does each ISP have to request the enabling individualy
Wannado give the impression that their 8meg service is just that, an available service up and running now for those on an enabled exchange, not a trial where you have to be invited to take part.
Are PlusNet falling behind, or are Wannado bending the truth a little?
prichardson
Grafter

Hi,

I am unsure if Wannado are making use of the BT trials for 8Mb, but they are making use of LLU for the most part.

LLU is when Wannado install their own DSLAMs in the exchange. This allows them to provide their own products under their own self-defined line-loss limits.

Kind Regards,
Community Veteran

With LLU (local Loop Unbundling), the ISP has to install it's own equipment into an exchange to be able to offer the service (or sub-contract from one of the other big LLU suppliers who have their LLU equipment in BT exchanges already).

Wanadoo are using their own equipment as far as I know which is why their initial phase of the service is only being offered in a small number of 'popular' exchanges because they are the only ones that have thwir LLU equipment in.

BT have nothing to do with the LLU equipment. All they do is enable the equipment to connect into their exchanges and transfer anyones line to the LLU supplier's equipment when that customer requests a switch to LLU.
N/A

Thanks for the replies guys. I had assumed, wrongly as it turns out that it was not LLU. A bit of research reveals that it is.