cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Upstream Speed badly degraded 832k -> 448k

N/A

Hi Guys,

I wonder if I could ask for a bit of advice from someone who knows more about how ADSL connections at the exchange are managed. My situation is this:

I was upgraded to ADSL Max Premium mid-April. For the first three weeks everything was great - downstream speed around 6.5-7Mbps and upstream 800-832Kbps. Then, a couple of weeks ago my connection dropped and when it came back a couple of minutes later my upstream sync had dropped to 448kbps (the value for a non-premium account.) Since then I've rebooted, reconnected, powered-cycled umpteen times, and I always have an upstream sync of 448. Downstream still varies from 6-7Mbps.

Plusnet support tell me that this is just the rate-adaptive nature of ADSL, but I find that hard to believe. Surely I would expect to see upstream speed varying on re-connection rather than sticking at 448. The fact that I had a rock-solid connection for the first three weeks at 800kbps would indicate that my line is capable of this speed.

So - my question is, is it possible that there's been an error or fault at the exchange that would mean I'm connected to a non-premium line? Anyone else had similar issues? Any other explanations gratefully received Smiley

Regards

Alan
17 REPLIES
N/A

I doubt there will be many customers using IPStream Max Premium - the bulk of users are probably on the IPStream Max product (which would be the older "50:1" type "home " products rather than the "20:1" "business" products).

I guess you're on a business account, or a homeworker 20:1 account to be expecting a Max Premium product., and that should be fairly clear for CS.

However, ADSLguide might have other people on IPStream Max Premium who may have comments to make - I don't know if both Up and Down are flexible to the same degree - all I've seen written about so far are for downstream speeds. If there's a problem with Upstream and the settings are either 4xx or 8xx then PN's support staff may be correct and the BT end has decided not to let you have 8xx.

For most that's not really a big problem - for some tpes of user it may be, of course and VoIP or a streaming audio service are a couple I can think of, but for general use... So being nosey, what is your uplink traffic most of the time ? (feel free not to answer - I'd assume peer-to-peer in that case).
N/A

Same problem managed to get 840kb for around one day, I have asked PN on numerous occasions to check that we are actually on the correct package and profile but the answer I receive is that this is a problem with BT and your delta report?
N/A

Yeah, I'm on a "HomeWorker Pro - Up to 8Mb" account, for which I pay £66 / month. Traffic is a mixture of business (including Remote Desktop / VNC access to work servers and desktops) and pleasure (SqueezeBox / SlimServer streaming audio from home when I'm away) so the upstream figure is definitely important to me.

As I said, my 800k upstream was perfect for the best part of a month. Don't know if I should be shouting at PlusNet or BT Smiley

I've asked PlusNet to confirm that I'm on the correct package and they assure me that I am, but my suspicion is that they've just checked their billing department and checked that I'm PAYING for the Premium package. They suggested that I disconnect for an hour and then reconnect and leave it up for 3 days which should generate a delta report (which I've done) but still no had not real information from PN or joy in resolving this issue.
N/A

Sounds like they've cocked up for sure... again. :lol: Cheesy
N/A

Hmmmm.... at 66 quid a month, I can understand you being more than a little bit "peeved" if it was working OK, and then has gone down to about half speed...

I guess someone will spot this but there's always the 1p/min 0845 number to try tomorrow (and Sunday!!) on a speakerphone while you are sunbathing Cool
prichardson
Grafter

Hi,

Checking with our accounts department will have done nothing for the situation, as they don't have the information applicable.

The information applicable to the product you are on is available in two places for the majority of staff, of which one is available to all staff.

The first is on your account information. It shows the product you are on, and any BRAS information if it has been provided by BT.

This part clearly shows a BRAS profile is available and the correct product for your Homeworker Pro account.

The second place, which is not available to all staff (those without access are normally new within the support center) is via BT Wholesales eCo facility.

This facility is used by providers to place orders, log fault, get fault updates and generate MAC keys.

Your asset within this facility shows "IP/MAX832/DMTU". Effectivly, this means you are on IPStream Max Pro, which is the correct product.

As support have already advised, this is a rate adaptive product, over which we have no control. Line noise has the most impact on the upstream speed.

Kind Regards,
Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

They suggested that I disconnect for an hour and then reconnect and leave it up for 3 days which should generate a delta report (which I've done) but still no had not real information from PN or joy in resolving this issue.

Oh God! Another numpty reply. Delta reports relate to downstream not upstream.
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£13/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
N/A

Thanks for the detailed info, Phil! I'm now happy that I'm on the correct product as far as BT are concerned, but still obviously wanting to know if there's anything that can be done to improve my upstream speed to the level that it was at for the first month of my upgraded connection. Did you receive the delta report after my disconnect / reconnect (as I was advised you would?)

Also - I appreciate that ADSL is rate-adaptive - but I was able to connect at 832k for a month, then it drops to 448k and doesn't shift from there. Wouldn't you expect to see (even minor) variations on my upstream speed between 448k and 832k on each reconnect (as my downstream speed does - it varies from 6.2M - 6.8M)? This doesn't happen. I am ALWAYS connected at 448. I still believe this implies a fault at the exchange, and this was the reason for my original post on this forum - to see if there was anyone around who could at least confirm that this was a possibility.

Is it possible for you to raise this as a fault / issue with BT?

Alan
N/A

Ahha - thanks elvin. So the delta report is likely to be of little (or no) use in resoving an upstream issue.

Some more info from my IPCop:

Physical Layer Stats: Receive Transmit
Noise Margin 6.50/ 2.36: 189 127.99/127.99: 0
Attenuation 40.78 23.00
Power -38

These figures are pretty much identical to those I was getting when I had a solid 800k connection - so the line noise hasn't changed. Just the sync speed.

Alan
N/A

Can only suggest trying it with no phones or other devices connected (in case a Sky box, or DECT phone, or something is causing noise, since that was mentioned as a possible cause)...

Or, if it is a 3Com router in use I have seen comments about them having a noisy PSU problem... Not sure what you're using (you mentioned IPcop so it might be a USB modem on your connection, of course... something I'd avoid in general, and with DSL Max in particular).[/url]
N/A

Done all that already, but thanks for the suggestions! It's a home-brew IPCop box with an internal Conexant PCI ADSL modem (although I have tried with an Alcatel USB modem too - same issue - 448k upstream.)

Basically, nothing has changed at this end since my connection was 800k upstream.
shellsong
Grafter

Physical Layer Stats: Receive Transmit
Noise Margin 6.50/ 2.36: 189 127.99/127.99: 0
Attenuation 40.78 23.00
Power -38

These figures are pretty much identical to those I was getting when I had a solid 800k connection - so the line noise hasn't changed. Just the sync speed.

Alan

Is that upstream SNR really 2.36 or should it read 23.6? If those figures are true I would have thought it unlikely that you would get as much as 448Kb/s up
N/A

That's 6.50/ 2.36 for downstream/receive - which isn't the problem - I'm happy with the downstream rates i'm getting. Upstream/transmit SNR is 127.99 / 127.99 - same as it was when I was getting 832k up.
N/A

127.99 looks suspiciously like 128 and if this works on only a small number of bits could be some mistaken way to represent 0. I'd expect problems if either SNR figure is below about 5 (I've seen a couple of 4.x here for downstream) but 128 is larger than anything I've seen (30-40 db for "great" lines) and I doubt it is correct.