Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Uploading your web site

starfry
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

Uploading your web site

So I wanted to upload my entire web site to my plusnet space. Easy you would think...

Normally I would go to existing webserver, log in with telnet or ssh and then make a compressed tar file of the htdocs tree.
I would then ftp this file to the plusnet server.
I would then log into the plusnet server using telnet or ssh, and uncompress the tar file. EXCEPT PLUSNET FAILS TO PROVIDE TELNET!!!!

The plusnet answer to this is to FTP EACH FILE INDIVIDUALLY. Come on guys, PLEASE!!!

Also this is a real pain for small tweaks. Why can't I log in and modify a html file using my favourite 'vi' editor ?

I wondered if other people find this acceptable.

5 REPLIES
N/A

RE: Uploading your web site

Hi,

I understand that this would be simpler in situations such as this but there are major security implications to providing access in this way, which is why we do not offer the option.

If it would help, although this is not a service we generally offer, you can email me the compressed file and I can make the necessary changes from here.

If you choose to do this, please email me at mhague@plus.net making reference to this thread.

Regards,
Mark.

| Mark Hague...................Unmetered & ADSL solutions
| Customer Support......................for Home & Business
| PlusNet Technologies Ltd..........@ http://www.plus.net
+ ----- My Referrals - It pays to recommend PlusNet ----+

N/A

Freeserve provide an automatic unzip option. While I would not want all .tgz or .zip uncompressed it would be useful to have an automatic 'unzip' capability.
N/A

> Freeserve provide an automatic unzip option. While I would not want all .tgz or .zip uncompressed it would be useful to have an automatic 'unzip' capability.

Hi,

Thank you for your feedback above. We are always looking for ways to improve the service we offer, so I will pass this comment on for you.

Regards,

Dave

--
| David Scarpa...................Unmetered & ADSL solutions
| Technical Support.....................for Home & Business
| PlusNet Technologies Ltd............@ http://www.plus.net
+ ----- My Referrals - It pays to recommend PlusNet -----
N/A

>
> I wondered if other people find this acceptable.
>

Well, I am running Windows XP and I have simply added ftp.plus.net as a "network place" so my website is just like any other folder in explorer.

Lars

N/A

> >
> > I wondered if other people find this acceptable.
> >
>
> Well, I am running Windows XP and I have simply added ftp.plus.net as a "network place" so my website is just like any other folder in explorer.
>
> Lars
>
>
>

Good Morning,

I see everybody has there own fav way to ftp there web site and update's, me personally I choose to use a multi-threaded ftp client drag and drop and go have a coffee, hardly tedious I guess if I had to zip up my web site then ftp and then log in and run remote commands then I'd be upset.

Ftp how do you do it ?

Regards
--
| Lee Mckenzie.................Unmetered & ADSL solutions
| Customer Support Agent..............for Home & Business
| PlusNet Technologies Ltd..........@ http://www.plus.net
+ ----- My Referrals - It pays to recommend PlusNet ----- +