cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Upload rates & limits question

N/A

My pattern of usage is set to change fairly dramatically over the summer, and it got me wondering about upload speeds, limits etc. Being on a low-end plan (2GB monthly) also makes bandwidth limits a little more pertinent Tongue

So, does *upload* traffic count towards my 2GB peak-time limit? iirc most of the 'marketing' pages talk about download limits, while some don't specify download, and none mention upload.

And... (to what extent) is it throttled at peak times? (i.e. below line speed?)

Thanks,
pwallington

P.S. yes, i know what the A of ADSL stands for - the rates are not going to be very fast Wink
8 REPLIES
Community Veteran

Both up and downloads are counted in your usage.

You did not say which account type you are on, and what you expect your usage to be like over the summer (Time are also important.) If you give us those details I am sure that someone will come along with advice.

In the mean time, have you seen the new BBYW products;
http://www.plus.net/residential/broadband/?10bday=homepage_broadband

And also Kitz site is great;
http://www.kitz.co.uk/adsl/plusnetfees.htm

Chilly
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 158

Hi there,

If you have a 2GB allowance then it sounds like you are on our PAYG product. This allows you to add more usage as you need it for £1.80 per 2GB block if you pay after you need it. Alternatively you can pay in advance at the rate of £1.50 for 2GBs.

As chilly says you can also switch to our new products if they are better for you.
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Chris Parr
 Plusnet Help Team
laura
Grafter

hi, I don't think this is off-topic so am sneaking in here, I am on payg I guess it's 2 gb per month. I always make sure I don't get too close to that limit (I hope). I wanted to download a
256 mb file (actually, SP2: yes I already have it but wanted a separate copy on disk) but was also wondering firstly would it be allowed, also about what sort of time would be best to do this. It would only be a one off so don't want to change product. If Chris from PN could give some advice?
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team

Hi there,

The 2GB allowance counts between 8am and Midnight. You could set the download going outside of these hours and it wouldn't count towards your allowance. You could also see how much you have used so far this month at this link, this will let you judge when the best time to download this file is.
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Chris Parr
 Plusnet Help Team
laura
Grafter

Thanks for your help Chris, looks like I have scope for downloading the file without breaking the limit!
chrisc
Grafter

You seem to have plenty of usage left so I wouldn't have thought downloading the file during peak time would cause any problems.
N/A

Thanks for the quick responses Smiley Yep, I am on the PAYG plan.

I think, given that I can schedule a lot of my usage to be in the 0000-0800 offpeak times, it's probably the best option for now.

From looking at the Kitz page, i have one more question:

Does the PAYG plan *really* not have any rate limiting? Presumably this is countered by having a lower traffic prioritisation?

Thanks again Smiley
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team

Hi there,

This page should show you how the traffic on PAYG is prioritised. As you can see there are no restrictions in place on this.
 Chris Parr
 Plusnet Help Team