cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Upgrade

N/A

Upgrade

I paid to have my line upgraded from 1mb to a 2mb but was turned down because they said my line would not handle a 2mb connection.
So has anyone any ideas on what i can do or is this the end of the line for ADSL as if i cannot upgrade there is no future of me on ADSL.
14 REPLIES
Alecto
Grafter

Upgrade

You need to get your line performance figures to see on what grounds they refused you.
Your router may give you these - you need the Downstream attenuation and Signal to Noise Ratio. Look in the instructions or google your model number to see how to do this, then post them on here.
If you have been unjustly refused the upgrade, you may be able to get it.
N/A

Upgrade

Hi and thanks

DSL Status
Connection Status Connected
Upstream Rate (Kbps) 288
Downstream Rate (Kbps) 1152
US Margin 29
DS Margin 26
Modulation GLITE
LOS Errors 0
DS Line Attenuation 39
US Line Attenuation 43
Path Mode Fast Path

DSL Statistics
Near End F4 Loop Back Count 0
Near End F5 Loop Back Count 0

Hope this helps.
N/A

Upgrade

I just tried the broadband checker and here are the results

Broadband Availability Checker
Summary
Check again BT ADSL broadband availability
You are connected to the Atherton (LCATH) telephone exchange.

Your exchange is enabled for ADSL!
There is capacity at your exchange for further ADSL connections.

The following level of service is available at your location:

You cannot receive 2Mbps ADSL
You may be able to receive 1Mbps ADSL
You can receive 512Kbps ADSL
You can receive 256Kbps ADSL

You are approximately 1.33km from the exchange (straight line distance).

However, there appears to a compatibility issue with your phone line. This could be caused by an existing broadband connection, ISDN, a DACS unit, TPON, a pending ADSL order or many other common issues. This will need to be resolved before ADSL can be supplied to your line.
Alecto
Grafter

Upgrade

Your downstteam attenuation of 39 is well within the 2Mb limit of 43dB, and your SNR (margin) is healthy. If these figures are correct, then the BT checker has misclassified your line.
Raise a ticket and ask Pn to do a woosh test to confirm the attenuation and SNR, and tell them why..
If your figures are confirmed, then you should be OK for 2Mb if BT will change their records. It seems however that BT will not change them on your or Pn's say-so. You need to contact Mr Saffron at ADSL Guide with the evidence and he can normally get BT to change their records. When they have done this, you can reapply for the upgrade you should have had in the first place.
N/A

Upgrade

This is the responce i got from plusnet about an upgrade

Dear Mr Ince, BTs checks show us that your line cannot support 2mb. Router stats can not be relied on to provide accurate details of your connection.

You can if you wish ask to upgrade to 2mb. There will be a £14.99 charge to do this. The change may make your connection unstable, lower the quality, or even stop your access altogether. We would then need to drop you back to 1mb and would not refund the charge.

Regards,

Matthew Buckley
N/A

Upgrade

Hi there,

Ask them if this is based on BT's database or the results of a woosh test.

If its a woosh test then thats it over. If its based on BT's database then that has been proved time and time again to be inaccurate.

Ask for the results of a woosh to be attached to you ticket.

At the end of the day, your router could be wrong but it woud be interesting to compare the two.
N/A

Upgrade

Thanks i will do that now and let you know what plusnet say.
N/A

Upgrade

I've had the results of my woosh test from plusnet and are as follows

xDSL Status Check Analysis

OK.

Circuit Information

Circuit In Sync

NTE In Service

NTE Power On

Bypass Not Activated

MUX In Service

Upstream xDSL Link Info

Loop Loss 21.5 dB

Margin 30 dB

Errored Seconds 1

HEC Errors 1

Cell Count 4618

Speed 288 k

Downstream xDSL Link Info

Loop Loss 39 dB

Margin 18 dB

Errored Seconds 0

HEC Errors 0

Cell Count 15479

Speed 1152 k

is this ok for a 2meg
Alecto
Grafter

Upgrade

That seems well within the limit of 43dB downstream attenuation (loop loss)for 2Mb.
Your line seems to have been misclassified by BT and this will need to be corrected before you can apply again for an upgrade.
See my post higher up this thread for what to do to try and get it rectified.
You'll need to send the results of the woosh test to Mr Saffron.
N/A

Upgrade

Hi again i asked Mr Seffron and he told me to follow this

http://www.farina1.com/bookmark/000004/2005/02/27/00020260.HTM

but i've no idea what to do next so any help would be great.

Thanks
N/A

Turned down again

I've been turned down again for an upgrade plusnet says

Unfortunatly after checking your line length and quality with BT Wholesale. We are currently unable to regrade your line speed as your ADSL service is currently at the maximum speed your line has the ability to support.

Until such time that BT make changes the current ADSL line limits your service will remain at its current speed. Thank you.

But all my stats are fine the whoosh test was fine and i'm only 1.33k from my local exchange this is turning into a joke.

Anyone any ideas.

Lots of people in my street have a 2mb line it's so unfair...... Sad
Alecto
Grafter

Upgrade

Sorry, I can't see how Andrew thinks you should find that helpful.
As far as I know, he has in the past got BT to change their records.

Perhaps someone that he has helped get reclassified can comment?
Plusnet Staff
Plusnet Staff
Fixes: 1

Upgrade

Hi,

I would probably think that the downstream SNR of 18dB is probably the reason for the rejection. Whilst that's fine for 1Mbps, an upgrade to 2Mbps would see this figure decrease which might take it down to 10-12dB which is on the border of what provides a stable service (anything in single figures can start giving random disconnections).

I think the best thing to do is wait until DSL Max is available then your line will be able to sync up at the maximum speed it will support (rounded down to the nearest 0.5Mbps). So you might see a speed increase to 1.5Mbps, possibly faster.
N/A

Upgrade

Ok thanks for that Dave at least now i know were i stand.
looks like i'll just have to wait....... :?