cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Upgrade to Premier?

N/A

Upgrade to Premier?

(I posted this in another thread, but figured it'd be more appropriate in a thread on it's own Wink)

I'm currently waiting for my BB+ account to be activated and hardware to arrive etc. (not due 'till next week, but whatever), but after reading the forums about peak time issues, I think I'd rather switch to a Premier account, the extra £7/month or so seems like it'd be worth it.

Is it worth the upgrade? I don't do much in the way of P2P, but I do like to play online games sometimes. I know it's possible to do this online, but would it be better to wait until after my line has been activated before switching it over? Or would it be ok to do it now?

-Paul
14 REPLIES
N/A

Upgrade to Premier?

Well I have that and Its like I'm on a 1mb line, not a 2mb line.

I play online games too, if you dont download big files, then I wouldn't say its worth it.
N/A

Upgrade to Premier?

My only concern is that I'll be sharing the connection with 4 other people (Student House), and that during peak times if all of us want to be on it at the same time, my gaming experience (and everyone's web experience) will be shot to pieces.

-Paul
N/A

Upgrade to Premier?

My only concern is that I'll be sharing the connection with 4 other people (Student House), and that during peak times if all of us want to be on it at the same time, my gaming experience (and everyone's web experience) will be shot to pieces.

-Paul

Ahh then thats a different subject, it would be worth it then. 512k connection?
N/A

Upgrade to Premier?

MOVE ISP

I've only been home about 60% of this month and i've already downloaded around 30gb, and theres 6 days left of this billing period. It really does suck to have to keep checking how much you've downloaded. &even though I try to download the big files overnight, i'm now worried do download anything just incase I get an email from the dreaded Plusnet SA Stormtroopers... Wink
N/A

Upgrade to Premier?

Ahh then thats a different subject, it would be worth it then. 512k connection?

I thought as much, just wanted to get a few extra opinions.

Anyone from PN / Familiar with the service want to add anything else?

-Paul

edited to improve context
Community Veteran
Fixes: 54

Upgrade to Premier?

Going back to the original question.
If you are not using P2P much then the plus account has several advantages for a student house.
The main one is that although you may still be hit with an acceptable use policy if you exceed 100GB per month you will not, as far as I know, be subject to the 30GB peak time usage limit.
Also I believe that there would be no significant difference between plus and premier for gaming on line.
As you can switch at any time from plus to premier with no charge the obvious approach is to stay with plus and see how it works out in the first months.
N/A

Upgrade to Premier?

Going back to the original question.
As you can switch at any time from plus to premier with no charge the obvious approach is to stay with plus and see how it works out in the first months.

Yeah, I figured that I'd give it a month or so and see how we go. Obviously being a poor student it's useful to save money wherever possible, even if it's only £7/month Wink

The sooner we get online the better...I've been without internet at home for the past few weeks and it's killing me Evil

-Paul
kitz
Rising Star

Upgrade to Premier?

If you are primarily using it for gaming the BB+ should be fine.
BB+ has no problems with gaming and latency should be just the same as on premier.

Actually, in view of the fact that you are sharing the connection with 4 others then it may well be best.

p2p is throttled on BB+ so therefore the other users wont be able to take most of the bandwidth if they are on a downloading spree.

Therefore more of YOUR bandwidth for gaming. Smiley
m00nie
Grafter

Upgrade to Premier?

Similar question to OP so hope dont mind me using this thread rather than a new one.

curently got 3 days left of my 1st month with PN, im at 1.31gb which isnt alot, mainly just surf, but on occasion i have used p2p, i have tried all different times of the day but never got more than 5k, whilst i dont use it much i would prefer when i did use it to be getting a faster speed, what speeds would i be looking at if i upgraded to premier?

thanks
N/A

Upgrade to Premier?

I moved to premier from plus and the difference is significant for p2p or usenet. I can max out my 1meg line overnight but peaktime (i.e 4pm to midnight) performance is usually, at best, about 70-80kbs on a decent torrent Smiley
Community Veteran
Fixes: 54

Upgrade to Premier?

curently got 3 days left of my 1st month with PN, im at 1.31gb which isnt alot, mainly just surf, but on occasion i have used p2p,

With this usage I would consider biting the bullet and paying the £14.99 to downgrade to PAYG.
This will cost £15.99 with 2 gig included and has far better P2P performance than either plus or premier at peak time.
See this info from Dave Tomlinson
So we are now at a position where we have in the gold queue email, web browsing and plustalk, silver now also includes external text news servers, and for PAYG/Lite P2P and all Usenet, it will also shortly included 15GB of traffic to our news servers.
m00nie
Grafter

Upgrade to Premier?

thanks,

think i will give the payg a try for a month see how get on with that, reading the site it is classed as an upgrade still so may not need to pay the 14.99, if thats the case i can still try the premier after without a fee to see which is best suited.

think ill add a couple of extra GB just to be covered also.

thanks for the replies

just swapped to PAYG.. no fee needed so thats ok..

takes 5-7 days tho Sad
N/A

Upgrade to Premier?

I think 5-7 days is only if you need a line regrade as well. They upgraded me to premier in about three hours (and on a Saturday too!)
m00nie
Grafter

Upgrade to Premier?

yes its just swapped over..

cant complain at that service

Cheesy