cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Upgrade not possible? - make me happy again!

Plusnet Staff
Plusnet Staff
Fixes: 1

Hi,

I wouldn't have thought that it would have failed because of a VP problem (BT don't generally schedule bulk regrades if the VP status is red) or the port capacity. The most likely reason is that they don't believe the line will support a faster speed.

Does you modem/router show the line stats? For 1Mbps the line loss figure needs to be less than 60dB.
21 REPLIES
margin_walker
Grafter

I've just received an email from PN saying my free speed upgrade was not possible. "Unfortunately your phone line was unable to support a faster speed than your existing service. This was confirmed after a series of line tests. We are therefore unable to upgrade the speed of your broadband on this occasion."

Will I be able to find out why the line wouldn't support a faster speed?

The exchange checker says VP capacity is currently showing as RED and port capacity is currently showing as Amber. They quote the ETA fix time for VP capacity as being the 13th Sept. Could this be why my line will not support 1Mbps?

Cry
N/A

@marginwalker,

how far from the exchange are you?, put your post code in here http://www.samknows.com/broadband/checker2.php then click check, then locality, this will tell you how far from the exchange you are, although the cable to your house will be longer as that is a straight line mesurement
margin_walker
Grafter

Grake,

thanks for that link. It says I am 811 metres from the exchange and I should be able to receive services up to 2Mbps
N/A

strangeHuh thats quite close, i think, i'm no expert but you should be ok for at least 1Mb.
Do you have a line loss figure? this should be avaiable through your modem/router stats
margin_walker
Grafter

I'm in work at the moment but will try and discover how to get a line loss figure from the router when I get home. Thanks very much for your help and suggestions so far.
Community Veteran

at 811 meters from the exchange you should be able to receive 2mb unless your line is made of wood!

However, it is not uncommon to see telephone lines take all kinds of weird and wonderful routes to an exchange. Some people living oppposite an excahnge may have their line routed down the road, round the culdesac at the end, and back down the other side to the exchage - strange but true.

A line loss figure should clear it up for you.
margin_walker
Grafter

Here are the stats from my router:

SNR Margin 30.9db Downstream 31db upstream
Line Attenuation 45.7db Downstream 24db upstream

Are these the correct figures (ie: does this show line loss)? Thanks guys.
N/A

Should be OK for 2Mb/s then...
Ben_Brown
Grafter

Not really, the attenuation is too high by 2.7dBs. That might not sound like much but dB's are a logarithmic scale, so that's quite a lot.
N/A

Possibly - but I was kind of factoring in that the attenuation was perhaps being overestimated. It seems quite high for 811 metres.
Anyway it looks as though the OP hasn't even been offered 1Mb/s Cry
margin_walker
Grafter

Does it matter if I'm connecting via a telephone extension cable? And if the attenuation should be 43db, is that for 2Mbps, 1Mbps or doesn't it make a difference?
N/A

like pacaya said you should be fine for 2Mb, the regrade must of failed because of a vp problem at your exchange, i'd wait till the 13th and if the exchange is good, then start asking questions, starting with bt.

it has been said that any upgrades missed by the mass upgrade scheme will be manually done, these "mop up's" as plus have called them should start at the end of oct or begining of nov
N/A

Does it matter if I'm connecting via a telephone extension cable? And if the attenuation should be 43db, is that for 2Mbps, 1Mbps or doesn't it make a difference?

2mb
N/A

Does it matter if I'm connecting via a telephone extension cable?

Not normally, but it is always worth checking the figure directly at the master socket without anything else connected.
I am about three times as far from my exchange (and using an extension cable) and my figures are:
Local Line Atten.: 38.0 dB
Remote Line Atten.: 26.0 dB
Local SNR Margin: 20.5 dB
Remote SNR Margin: 26.0 dB