Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Update on network management

N/A

Improvements? Interesting desciption of the work

Indeed.

I'm still trying to understand the implications of this announcement, bearing in mind all that has gone before?

What exactly does
These network improvements will help us deliver an assured minimum rate relative to your product's advertised contention ratio on our network.
mean?

Interesting couple of days ahead methinks.
NigelWood
Grafter

It was reviled a number of months ago, just prior to dropping the 155Mb pipes, that the new 622Mb pipes where able to operate at full duplex.

@ acarr: Thank you. That's the funniest typo I've seen in ages.
LiamM
Grafter

So, when are the new bandwidth utilization graphs. The service status post said "shortly" but in Plusnet's mind, 12months is a 'short' amount of time.
N/A

Just seen the announcement about some changes tomorrow

Tomorrow morning we will be rolling out a network change to on our ADSL platform.

These network improvements will help us deliver an assured minimum rate relative to your product's advertised contention ratio on our network.

This means that each product will have an individual assured minimum rate, so every customer will receive speeds of at least the products' advertised profile even during peak times.

These improvements will be followed shortly by the updated bandwidth usage graphs, which will show separate usage for our broadband product types.

Kind Regards,

Dave Tomlinson
Customer Support

Why do I get the feeling this is not good news - maybe the way it's phrased. Does this mean another potential cut in the quality of service?

can someone point me in the direction of this announcement, as i canr find it anywhere ?

***Edit
dont worry i found it
N/A

So since this maintenance window is now gone when will the "guaranteed minimum" speeds be announced? Or have I missed it somewhere?
LiamM
Grafter

The guaranteed minimum speeds are around 67kbps on a 2Mb account. Basically, the minimum guaranteed speed is 2Mb contended at 30:1.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 57

Yes but is it 67kbps on an up to 2Mb account synchronised at 1Mb or even 512 kb.
I have never seen that answered
LiamM
Grafter

I would hope so. Otherwise 512k users could expect just 15k, and 1Mb users, 30k..
LiamM
Grafter

I still want to know why Upload is sudenly causing a problem, when it wasn't pre FUP... and also when the new ADSL Utilization Graphs are coming out.
N/A

Liam,

That 67k for a 2meg user based on 30:1 is within the PN network, once you hit your exchange your down to 50:1 so theoretically could get less than 67kbps
LiamM
Grafter

True... but that's not what Plusnet's maintenance was for. Their maintenance was work that allowed them to accurately enforce PN network contention on users.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 57

just seen this on ADSL Forum
Hi there,

Sorry if this has caused some confusion – the rollout of last night is not the introduction of something new to the way the broadband network is managed; it's the completion of our previously announced work on contention and network management.

'Assured rates' is just a description for assured / guaranteed speeds for individual products. It's a speed that's appropriate to the network contention and speed of the service.

This does not mean we are limiting everyone to 30:1, for example - there is network capacity available on our network, and these rates are simply in place to support the contention rates on the website.

Regards,

Ben Brown
PlusNet Customer Support
Saturn
Grafter

That's nice, send out emails and announcements within the PN domain, putting concern in customers minds, and then explain the meaning in another forum. God these guys really know how to communicate - not.
N/A

Come on Joe, use your brain

Just dont abuse the system!

I'm just asking a perfectly reasonable question, no need for insults Evil I suggest you use your brain & catch up on the other posts, then you will know why I asked for clarification.

The whole reason for clarification is so that customers can avoid abusing the system - if the goal posts are placed somewhere between here & over there, then how do you know when you go beyond what is acceptable? if we know exactly where the goal posts are placed then it's far easier to stay within PlusNets set limits

You are trying to pick faults, but not actually saying the service that YOU WANT.

What faults am I picking :?: I don't recall saying a bad word against PlusNet, as a matter of fact I am very pleased with the service that I am receiving, the whole reason for having a forum like this is to ask questions!

You seem to assume that I am a heavy user & want to squeeze as much out of my subscription as possible, as a matter of fact I am not a heavy user.

Before subscribing to PlusNet I asked customer support many questions - I was assurred there would be no throttling or capping & that there were no plans to introduce any monthly limits or restrictions, this has clearly changed so I now need clarification on the points that I raised
N/A

I will just log here that Neil Armstrong's statement at the top is the first-ever mention (apart from a teaser announcement on August 15) of the higher download limits for Premier £29.99 and £39.99 accounts. These benefits were not part of these products prior to today. So the Premier £29.99 and £39.99 accounts have been paying £8/£18 per month premium since April for nothing (unless you count a promised queue-jump to higher speeds at an unspecified time in 2006 and by no means guaranteed at all as a benefit rather than a con.)

Simon