Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Update on network management

suec45
Grafter

Come on Joe, use your brain,

Just dont abuse the system!

If you want to change to paying more then ring plusnet and explain you want to be put on a different payment option, I'm sure they will help!

You are trying to pick faults, but not actually saying the service that YOU WANT.

What do YOU want?
Community Veteran
Fixes: 56

If we wanted to download more than 100 GB per month that is allowed for the £21.99 Premier account, then how do we subscribe to a £29.99 or £39.99 account icon_question.gif I do not see those accounts available on your website icon_question.gif how do we sign up for these other accounts icon_question.gif

Just looked at upgrade your account and they are all available
N/A

I think the "off peak" question needs to be answered

I consider myself to be guite a heavy user (150gb per month) but I have changed my d/l times to between midnight and 7am.

does this still mean 100gb limit

are uploads included in the 100 gb limit ?

there needs a little bit more clariffication

(and no I didnt get a warning email, i changed to be a little more considerate to other users)
N/A

bump

Answered in another post Thankyou

"For information, we’d like to explain that 100GB per month is not a fixed limit for the Premier service, as some customers have used more than this amount. These customers were not contacted because they have scheduled large downloads for off-peak periods, and so we advise you to do this where possible.

Thanks again for reducing your usage and all Premier customers will benefit from your reduction.

Kind Regards,
Customer Support

but what about my question on Uploads ?Huh
N/A

Ouch. Not meant to use the b word Smiley
Plusnet Staff
Plusnet Staff
Fixes: 1

Uploads aren't counted seperately so would be included in any figures used.
N/A

correct me if im wrong but

uploads dont effect the network ?
Plusnet Staff
Plusnet Staff
Fixes: 1

Actually they can. The design of a BT Central pipe gives you a downstream figure of 622Mbps, but the upstream is limited to half of that - 311Mbps. If the total uploads exceeds this then it starts to eat into the available downstream bandwidth.
N/A

yes i know that Dave, Ok i will reword the question

PN dont have a problem with uploads at the moment as i understand only excesive downloading, so why are uploads counted in your decision to send users a ticking off email
N/A

Dave, I have to question that statement.

It was reviled a number of months ago, just prior to dropping the 155Mb pipes, that the new 622Mb pipes where able to operate at full duplex.

This was the very reason why the upload was not going to be counted in FUP based measurements, because upload would be unlikely (not impossible, I am aware of that) to be a burden.

Have the technical specifications now been revised to a detrimental effects?
N/A

thanks Accar, i was just going through the old posts in the forum on FUP but you have saved me the job, I also remember there was going to be an upload and a download usage meter and only the downloads would count

Dave?
N/A

So in theory those heavy P2P downloaders that have been warned for say 150Gb usage , could in fact have downloaded 75GB or less (if they were keeping to good conventions?)

With the exception of gamers and P2P most other services (browsing, music etc) uses very little uploading so its never going to cause a problem is it?

Surely only downloads should appear in the stats and uploads ignored.
N/A

I agree uploads should be included, it is afterall network transfer. and do play a part in the mass scheme.
N/A

But if is not affecting peoples usage Why ?

Dave, I have to question that statement.

It was reviled a number of months ago, just prior to dropping the 155Mb pipes, that the new 622Mb pipes where able to operate at full duplex.

This was the very reason why the upload was not going to be counted in FUP based measurements, because upload would be unlikely (not impossible, I am aware of that) to be a burden.

Have the technical specifications now been revised to a detrimental effects?
LiamM
Grafter

I don't think Uploads should be counted either, if they don't cause a problem. Which pre-FUP they didnt, so I don't see why they do not.

I would speculate that the real reason Uploads are included is actually because Plusnet's development work on the new VMU tool failed miserably as it didnt actually work when they rolled it out.