Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Update on network management

Neil_A
Grafter

Dear customers,

I’d like to give you an update on how we are managing our network, in order to continue to offer all our customers an excellent service at a great-value price.

In line with our ongoing network management plans, on Friday we will be applying a managed profile to customers who have continued to use an unsustainable amount of bandwidth on the service (in excess of 150GB per month on average). Their continued very heavy usage was causing a detrimental impact on all our other customers, so we will take steps to protect our other customers from this very small number of very heavy users. Approximately half of the customers we contacted two weeks ago have reduced their usage, so we are taking no further action against them.

In September we will again review our customers’ usage to identify those using the service an unsustainable amount. More than 90% of our customers use less than 10GB per month. We have previously stated that we consider anything above 100GB per month for a £21.99 Premier customer to be unsustainable. For customers paying £29.99 this is increased by 50GB, and for customers paying £39.99 per month this is increased by a further 50GB. Therefore what we consider to be unsustainable is higher for customers who pay more. These are not ‘caps’ or set limits and depend on what time of day customers use their service. What we deem to be unsustainable will change over time as usage patterns change. We will always focus on those customers who drive peak time capacity and therefore we remind customers to please schedule large downloads to off-peak times.

In line with the growth of our overall customer base, we enabled a further segment of central bandwidth yesterday. Combined with the action we are taking against the very small number of customers using the service unsustainably, the increase in bandwidth should mean all customers see noticeable improvements at peak times.

We continue to use our intelligent network platform to prioritise and shape different traffic types to ensure that customers receive an excellent experience, with time-sensitive applications prioritised at peak times. The level of shaping should only mean a very small percentage reduction in peak time file sharing speeds for Premier customers. The network shaping is virtually unnoticeable for business customers.

We are also in the process of updating our bandwidth utilisation graphs to give our customers more information on how we manage our network and how it is performing. We continue to do this in order to be as open with information for our customers as possible.

We will continue to increase bandwidth on our network as and when we need it. We will also continue to manage customers who use the service unsustainably in order to continue to provide all of our customers with an excellent service at a great value price.

Kind regards,

Neil Armstrong
Head of Marketing
PlusNet
59 REPLIES
N/A

Re: Update on network management

I am fairly new to Plusnet and welcome the usage policy stated above in clear terms.

There has been, in my view, far too much misinformation posted on these pages. As long as Plusnet staff continues to give truthful unambiguous policy statements, I for one will be happy to stay.
N/A

I'll be OK then, my connection has been down for the last 6 weeks. So long as plus net continue their policy of not fixing the fault and continue taking my money then i'm pretty sure I won't reach the kind of 'GB' levels you talk about.

THANKS PLUSNET ... YOU REALLY SUCK!
N/A

Neil: Thanks for that one.
N/A

Neil Thank you, That puts my mind at rest.
N/A

Neil,

IMO it woulsd be better to publisgh CAPS... surely an option to allow flexibilty would be to say over a three month period you cannot exceed 300 or 450GB etc.? This way it is very clear , honest and open and all customers know where they stand.

Second point is ... when are we getting the new T&C's?
N/A

Shouldn't this be an announcement or stickied to make sure people see it?
LiamM
Grafter

The fact of the matter is sticky posts are often ignored... I'm not sure if we should make this a sticky or not to be honest.
N/A

TBH this is the sort of announcement that should be emailed to every plusnet customer - its not marketing so those opting out should be sent it too.
LiamM
Grafter

Plusnet have already stated it is apparently too much hard work to send emails of this nature out to everyone. Perhaps it could be posted as a Service Status announcement, so that those who have chosen to sign up to Service Status emails receive it.
N/A

Neil Thank you, That puts my mind at rest.

how did that put your mind at rest?

what did he tell us that we didn't already know?
N/A

I don't understand why this wasn't done (it would have meant it also went to Usenet).
N/A

Plusnet have already stated it is apparently too much hard work to send emails of this nature out to everyone..

And what a load of rubbish that is!
Sending an email to everyone takes less than 10 minutes as long as you have a list /database of email addresses!

As a customer I don't care if these "information" emails are logged as tickets or not its unneeded.

There should be nothing stopping plusnet sending emails to all of their customers (which they are going to do over the T&C's though that 14 days is nearly here) - every other compnay can manage it!
Alecto
Grafter

The other aspect of emailing all customers, and probably why they don't do it, is that it would make it very high profile. Headlines would read "Plusnet warns all customers not to use internet" or some such nonsense, and certainly there is a much higher chance of its becoming news.

Whereas publishing it on here, or even on AG, keeps it quiet.

I'm not saying what they're doing is bad - far from it - but the less you publicise stuff that is liable to misinterpretation, the better.

What I would do if I were Pn, is simply email everybody once to remind people to keep an eye on the forum and that ongoing announcements about anything of importance would be made here rather than by email.
N/A

Re: Update on network management

The above statement is welcome but I am still confused on what is acceptable, I'd appreciate clarification on the points listed below by a member of PlusNet staff.

We have previously stated that we consider anything above 100GB per month for a £21.99 Premier customer to be unsustainable. For customers paying £29.99 this is increased by 50GB, and for customers paying £39.99 per month this is increased by a further 50GB. Therefore what we consider to be unsustainable is higher for customers who pay more.

So you are saying the acceptable monthly usage is as follows; (Up to)

£21.99 = 100 GB per month
£29.99 = 150 GB per month
£39.99 = 200 GB per month

If we wanted to download more than 100 GB per month that is allowed for the £21.99 Premier account, then how do we subscribe to a £29.99 or £39.99 account :?: I do not see those accounts available on your website :?: how do we sign up for these other accounts :?:

These are not ‘caps’ or set limits and depend on what time of day customers use their service. We will always focus on those customers who drive peak time capacity and therefore we remind customers to please schedule large downloads to off-peak times.

Does this mean that it's ok to download more than the 100GB monthly limit, provided the bulk of the downloads are scheduled for off peak hours when they do not adversely affect available bandwidth :?:

(If you are saying that the 100GB limit is applicable to off peak hours also, then it most definitely is a 100GB cap :?: )

I'm sure many here are a little confused over this, as I am :shock: