cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Up until tonight I was happy with PlusNet

N/A

I've read all these threads on here full of people leaving PlusNet, complaining about service, speeds etc, whilst i've sat here and thought, "Been with them for 4 or 5 years now and not had a problem really". I'm on Broadband Premier 2Mb.

I've spoken to a helpful person on the phones 95% of the time, tickets have been actioned quickly and helpfully, my speed tests have always produced a figure somewhere between 1800-2048Kbps, which i've always been happy with. Torrent speeds are always completely random, but I haven't had a consistent problem. I've recommended PlusNet to two people, and now get 50p off my bill per month as a result Cool.

But since New Years Eve, my speeds died. I did a speed test with BT, and got 489Kb/s as my speed. Naturally this worried me. I did spyware/virus checks etc, tried speed tests after fresh reboots, got the same problem. So I opened a ticket, after doing all the checks and things it makes you do, and left it. Got a response tonight, reading the following:

"Dear Xxxxxxx Xxxxxxx,

The results of our tests show no fault with your broadband connection. Completed speed tests show that your connection speed is: 489

According to BT, this speed is within the limits of acceptable performance for broadband service.

Kind Regards,
Customer Support

Actioned : This ticket has been returned to the customer for their attention"

My response:

Link:censored off"

Are they kidding? It's the sort of response I might have vaguely expected, but after testing my line and finding out that my speed is less then a QUARTER of what it should be, what i'm giving these c*nts £22 a month to provide me with, they tell me that this is acceptable and offer me no further help. There was a legal dispute a while ago over whether anything under 512k could be advertised as BroadBand by ISPs, yet 489k for a service that should be somewhere around 2000k is "acceptable performance for broadband service"? If you walked into SubWay and asked for a footlong sandwich and they took your money, then cut it into four pieces and gave you the smallest bit and said that it is "acceptable performance for a sandwich service", PlusNet would consider that reasonable behaviour?

Jesus H.

The only reason I'm not going to leave is that I am at university in Nottingham, so it's my family that will be using this and download virtually nothing so won't notice the decrease in performance.

But that really is the only reason.

[Moderator's note by Mark (pcsni): Please do not attempt to bypass the swear filter]
32 REPLIES
N/A

Im inclined to say here is I am a little disgruntled to see that the obvious helpfulness has now completely vanished from Plusnet. back when Plusnet were still denying the use of ellacoyas I can remember my speeds going as low as this, and in return I got the same as above, but also was told that yes this was too low and that everything would be looked at and done.

Although nothing was ever settled and the problem fixed itself ( not sure how... ) the help offering was still there, shame to see that Plusnet have or are losing this now Sad
N/A

i have this identical problem, and its ever since the new year also...im pretty disgusted that im paying for a 2 meg premier breadband package and i cannot get more than 5 to 10 kbps download speed....this really needs sorted out!!!
Community Veteran

So lets see if I understand properly.

*You have had 4-5 years of excellent service from PN

*You have just now experianced a problem, which you have yourself identified as being on the BT network rather than PN's. As shown by this part of your post:-
I did a speed test with BT, and got 489Kb/s as my speed.

*PN have given you a standard reply based on BT's definition of acceptable broadband performance. ie 400Kbs

How am I doing so far?

Okay so your response is to come to the forums and foul mouth PN :| Hmmm.

You see this is where you lost me! :?

*Edit
Don't get me wrong, 400Kbs may be acceptable to BT, but I agree with you that it is less than acceptable!
N/A

seventhstar, is this not the time then that someone from plusnet should be contacting BT and telling them that their network is screwed? because i am aware of a of people who are experiencing very poor speeds....
N/A

pj1984,

What the problem is, is that Plusnet, as is wannadoo, as is tiscali as is any ISP infact, they are all small fry to BT. They are nobodies. The only thing they do for BT is bring a little extra revenue in, thats it, in BT's eyes its nothing to worry about and no-one can change BT's opinion on what is and is not acceptable.

In my opinion 400kbps is lousy and I personally would not tolerate it, however, nothing in the world that I say or do would make BT change their views or standards. Lets face it, BT have the entire nation by its short and curlies. Basically what they say goes, end off full stop, thats it.

Shame really but thats what privatisation does for ya. Nothing more than poor standards with huge price margins.
N/A

but surely there is a reason for it i mean it seems to have happened to a lot people all of a sudden? also i would like to ask is it possible that i have downloaded to much and my connection is being throttled until i pay my next monthly bill? or is that not the problem at all?
Ben_Brown
Grafter

For a long time now BT have been providing at the local exchanges at contention ratios much better than advertised, so the connections have been performing well for everyone.

What we are seeing now as more people take up broadband and as the speeds are getting faster we are seeing contention at the exchange becoming an issue, where it hasn't been before. When I say "we" I of course mean all IPStream providers (which is a very large chunk of the UK broadband market), and not just PlusNet.

BT are aware of this and work to resolve this as swiftly as they can however there is very little we can do to pressure BT in individual cases unless the speed is below the set levels of the product, in your case 400kbps.
LiamM
Grafter

Just to back Ben up, ADSL connections are based on a contention ratio at the exchange (defined by BT) of either 50:1 or 20:1. Residential products all use IPStream Home which is 50:1. Technically therefore, your speed could be a 50th of what it normally is and BT would still struggle to see this as a fault.

I can tell you that even if you leave Plusnet, your service will remain exactly the same. Changing providers won't ease the congestion at your local telephone exchange and it wont improve your speeds if congestion is the issue.

All Broadband providers that use ADSL (with the exception of LLU and Cable) and use BT IPStream products (99% of them) have the same problem.

When BT rolled out broadband they did it with the future in mind. They offered the 50:1 and 20:1 products, but barely ever did we see contention even reach a quarter of that - mainly due to the exchanges being given capacity for the future - that wasn't yet used up. As broadband is becoming more and more popular the capacity in the exchanges is being used up more and more and BT are not replenishing capacity at the same rate - which means busy exchanges are suffering the effects of limited capacity.
Sproglet
Grafter

I have to say in this instance I have to also side with PlusNet.

If you run a BT Speedtest (logging in as speedtest@speedtest_domain) and it shows 500kbps approx then there is little PlusNet can do other than notify BT that the exchange is nearing contention ratio. It's entirely up to BT if they do anything at this point.

If, however, you do a BT Speedtest and get 1900kbps and log into PlusNet and get 500kbps then It's PlusNet's problem to look at.

Make sure you do the BT Speedtest direct as shown on:
http://www.adslguide.org.uk/qanda.asp?faq=troubleshooting
N/A

Just wanted to say that speeds are sucking big time today.

I have as of this morning had my account d/l levels reset, and yet I am getting 2kbs via PN's news servers. This is soooo poor.

But what can we do? Nothing.
N/A

yeah i have been getting 2k download speed for a few days now....oh its just great fun
N/A

ADSL connections are based on a contention ratio at the exchange (defined by BT) of either 50:1 or 20:1

One problem though - BT no longer give any numbers of contention :?
Ben_Brown
Grafter

At the moment the resetting of profiles is done manually and it may take 24 hours or so for this to be done.

We are working to improve this in the short term and should soon have the whole process automated so the changes will be pretty much instantaneous.
Studio_Two
Grafter

Just out of interest, where abouts in the "chain" do the ISP's come into the equation?

Is there a "central hub" into which they all connect and purchase a particular amount of bandwidth from (in simple terms)? Are all the exchanges rounted into this hub?

TIA
Stephen