Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Up To 8Mb . . . . when?

daftcars
Grafter

Up To 8Mb . . . . when?

Hi
I signed up for "PlusNet Broadband Plus up to 8Mb (Annual Contract, No
Modem) " a month ago, and my connection hasn't changed at all. It's still 1Mb, as it was with my previous ISP.
I'm just wondering when I can expect these super speeds and will I be informed that it will take place on a certain date?
33 REPLIES
N/A

Up To 8Mb . . . . when?

6 - 12 months if your lucky.

I have been waiting 6 months with no joy and with recent problems with Plusnet and lack of customer service/support I have given them my notice and migrated.

My new ISP are in the process of moving me and will also increase my speed from 2mb to upto 8mb I have been paying Plusnet for.
daftcars
Grafter

Up To 8Mb . . . . when?

You are joking ?!

How can they do that, surely they can't advertise something to entice you to sign up, then not give you it?

Sad
N/A

Up To 8Mb . . . . when?

ITs not entirely plusnets fault. BT withdrew the tool required to update in batches.

So, unless you are a new customer (ie brand new signup) you will have to wait.
N/A

Up To 8Mb . . . . when?

Oh so Plusnet cant help its existing customers, but if your new you can have it all.

To be honest I am sick off people telling me its not our fault (Plusnet) or other forum users saying its not Plusnet's fault.

Seems it easier to blame somebody else for their lack of support.
N/A

Up To 8Mb . . . . when?

It doesnt matter who's fault it is.

The fact of the matter is that +net should NOT be advertising an 8Mb availability and then not providing it.

Also, your post has an air of "I have it and you dont so tough tete!".
N/A

Up To 8Mb . . . . when?

Well, new users are put straight through the BT check by default.

However existing users have to wait as Plusnet only submit those in batches for free..The Tool BT released to do this was flawed so the took it offline for the moment.

I think Tongue....

But yes, this should be mnetioned in the signup process.
daftcars
Grafter

Up To 8Mb . . . . when?

So, unless you are a new customer (ie brand new signup) you will have to wait.

I am a new customer. They advertised up to 8Mb, I signed up for up to 8Mb, and I want around 6! I did tests with two other ISP whilst shopping around and my line is capable of 6.5.
I'm still getting the 1Mb I had with my old ISP.
I can't say I'm too impressed so far, and thats regardless of the farce I had on "Going Live" day.
N/A

Up To 8Mb . . . . when?

I take it you migrated to Plusnet, if so thats the hold up I think.

You will need to opt into 8mb via the tool in questions, but I could be wrong.
N/A

Up To 8Mb . . . . when?

My grevience is that plusnet original said it would upgrade their oldest customers first I have been a member since 1998 and broadband since 2000, BT exchange is rated me at potential 6.5Mb. But I am still waiting for Plus bloody net to get their finger out after tickets raised 12 April and 6 June to opt in.
N/A

Up To 8Mb . . . . when?

One thing I have learnt from the forum is the waffle and mis information fed by +net so much I believe them like I believe the government spin doctors.
daftcars
Grafter

Up To 8Mb . . . . when?

Just had a reply to my question from Plusnet. A very long reply which starts:
"Our records show that your current expected Data Transfer Rate is around 1 meg".
I didn't bother reading any farther as I've read it all elsewhere, probably the place they cut and pasted it from.
Anyway, could anyone tell me if I am being unreasonable? I signed up for "up to 8Mb" and to my mind, 1Mb is nowhere near 8Mb.
Surely no one can argue that 1Mb is Up To 8Mb?
My line is capable of 6.5, I know that because I did various tests when shopping around for a new ISP. Maybe I should have chosen one of those ISP's.
:x
Plusnet Staff
Plusnet Staff
Fixes: 1

Up To 8Mb . . . . when?

Hi,

Up to 8Mbps really does mean up to 8Mbps. The speeds you could see in terms of sync speed could be anything from 160kbps up to 8128kbps. The throughput speed for a sync'd above 2Mbps is considered to be normal if it's between 400kbps and 7150kbps.

You might want to take a look at:

http://portal.plus.net/support/broadband/network/dslmax_guide.shtml

which goes into more of the details of how the speeds work.

Any estimates you saw before you got Max, are just estimates. There's no way of knowing what speed a line can support until it's activated. Sometimes the estimates are wrong unfortunately.

Might be worth checking all your internal wiring and filters, sometime a bad filter or incorrectly set up wiring can cause the speed to be a lot lower than it should be.
N/A

Up To 8Mb . . . . when?

It doesnt matter who's fault it is.

The fact of the matter is that +net should NOT be advertising an 8Mb availability and then not providing it.

Also, your post has an air of "I have it and you dont so tough tete!".

the only happy thing about +net is that i am moving houses in 1 month and i am going to get cable

they really should should not be advertising the 8Mb stuff

anyway
VIVA PORTUGAL !!!!
daftcars
Grafter

Up To 8Mb . . . . when?

Any estimates you saw before you got Max, are just estimates. There's no way of knowing what speed a line can support until it's activated.

And yesterday I get : "BT are currently reporting that you should be getting about 6Mbps. This speed was updated on 17/07/06."

So, I get told by two other ISP's I should get around 6.5 Mb, then I'm told be PN that there's no way of knowing, and now magically, BT say I should get 6Mb.

I'm on 1Mb for a month and when I query this I get told a load of guff about speeds and check my wires and filters, and when I ask for them just to confirm that I am on the Up To 8Mb lo and behold I get a much faster connection.

I feel sorry for those that sign up for Up To 8Mb and are blissfully ignorant that they are on 1Mb.

Moderators note by John (johnessex) BBcode enabled to make the quote display properly