cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Unwanted emails

N/A

Unwanted emails

I've been receiving "SEXUALLY-EXPLICIT" emails for a few days but today 16 arrived! I've marked each sender as blocked but to do this I have to open the deleted email. I've just increased my PlusNet SPAM intercept to "High".

Is there any more I can do to stop these - they all seem to be sent by different individuals, presumably to overcome the blocker?

Is it difficult to change my email address, expensive and if its the only solution how do I go about it, please?

Alan
18 REPLIES
jberry
Grafter

Unwanted emails

Hi Alan,

We do have other options to allow you to get around this, have a look at the following support article:

http://portal.plus.net/support/email/email_blocking.shtml

I suspect you will be more interested in the second option here.

Regards,
shermans
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

Unwanted emails

Another option is to use Outlook (not Outlook Express) as your client. You ser yourself up as a workgroup client in Outlook and then use the "Remote Mail" facility to download just the headers of every email which takes a second to do. From the "Subject" you can always tell whether it is spam or not. You then hit the delete button to get rid of spam headers, and simply download only the real emails. It works a treat.

I have tried so many different solutions from changing address to mailboxes, and this is the easiest and leasy inconvenient.
Plusnet Staff
Plusnet Staff

Unwanted emails

Strangely the Mac version of Outlook Express has a similar function, but not in Windows.
N/A

Unwanted emails

Alan

I wondered whether you had read the topics:-

How long does it take to train the spam filter
and
Plusnets spam filter isn't good enough

If the circumstances you are experiencing are similar to those described in those topics, can I urge you to raise this with the user group by following one of the links on those topics.

Harold
holdtight
Grafter

Unwanted emails

Shermans which version of outlook do you have ?

although i mainly use OE as my main client (i dont suffer with much spam !)
touching lots of wood Wink i also have outlook 2000 but cannot find the feature you refer to which to my mind would be excellent

i think i already know your going to say a later version but if you can
just confirm that for me, Ta !
Julie
Grafter

Unwanted emails

Hi there,
I have follwed the advice of this thread
http://portal.plus.net/support/email/email_blocking.shtml
and set a redirect to one of my mailboxes, but I get the reply that the mailbox is already in use... :?

Can someone please tell me how I can re-direct the spam from this mailbox to the blackhole address, or if I have done something wrong, thanks Smiley
N/A

Unwanted emails

I've taken to using Spamfighter to police my in-boxes, this works with Outlook and outlook express and is free for home use.
Julie
Grafter

Unwanted emails

Hi,

Well thanks for your reply,I appreciate it Cheesy, however it does not answer the question why the advice on how to redirect to the blackhole address given in the link has not worked.

I would be grateful if someone could answer this, many thanks Smiley
N/A

Unwanted emails

If you already have a mailbox using a name you want to redirect, you first need to delete the mailbox.

Then you can create the redirect as per the instructions.
shermans
Rising Star

Unwanted emails

i also have outlook 2000 but cannot find the feature you refer to

Ah Ha ! What's it worth ?

It is not the version number which is the problem. You have to set yourself up as a Workgroup. Go to Tools > Options > Mail services > Reconfigure mail support and then click the second radio button Workgroup. This will reconfigure everything for you but I do not think it upsets any of your other settings from memory; I'm sure it does not. But you have to restart Outlook. Then go to Tools > Remote mail and download the headers (Connect). Having deleted those headers you do not want, then mark the headers you do want to retrieve. Click connect again and it will delete all the spam from the PN server and download the real mail only. I recommend that you double up with using Webmail for the first few times because having deleted, you cannot restore ! When you are used to using it, then you don't really need webmail any more. It also works with PN mailboxes and you can choose which mailboxes to look at. So you can be very selective and for me it works well.

I also set the remote mail toolbar for convenience but unfortunately you have to re-load the toolbar every time you re-start Outlook, which is a bore - I cannot find a way to keep it on top after exit.
holdtight
Grafter

Unwanted emails

Ah Ha ! What's it worth ?

A kings ransom if it works as well as i think it does Cheesy

thank you shermans for taking the time to explain all that, as soon
as i started reading i remembered the option was there when first
installing outlook (just been so long)

that little job is now on my list of things to do later

much appreciated
cheers !
shermans
Rising Star

Unwanted emails

No problem. If you find a way to keep the remote toolbar visible, please let me know !
Julie
Grafter

Unwanted emails

If you already have a mailbox using a name you want to redirect, you first need to delete the mailbox.

Then you can create the redirect as per the instructions.

Many thanks, I hadn't actually deleted the mailbox, Shockedops:
I could not see anywhere in the instructions where it tells you to Delete the mailbox first, ..your help is.much appreciated thanks again Cheesy
holdtight
Grafter

Unwanted emails

will do shermans !