Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Unused PAYG allowance

Community Veteran
Fixes: 1

Unused PAYG allowance

Not sure if this has been asked before, if so sorry to repeat Shockedops:
What happens to any unused allowance on PAYG. Say I only use 1Gb in a month, but I have in fact paid for 2Gb, then I have 1Gb remaining. Does this just get lost, or can it be carried forward. If it gets lost, then do I get a refund?? as I have paid for useage I have not used. Surely this cannot be correct. Can any of the comms team advise please.
34 REPLIES
Zathras
Grafter

Unused PAYG allowance

You lose it, evem though youve paid for it .No refund either.
Community Veteran

Re: Unused PAYG allowance

It has been asked many times before, but no problem the more times its asked the more likely PlusNet are to consider it!

No your unused usage is lost. Which when you could have just paid £1.80 a few days ago to get some extra is pain.

Chilly
ForeverArsenal
Grafter

Re: Unused PAYG allowance

What happens to any unused allowance on PAYG. Say I only use 1Gb in a month, but I have in fact paid for 2Gb, then I have 1Gb remaining. Does this just get lost, or can it be carried forward. If it gets lost, then do I get a refund?? as I have paid for useage I have not used. Surely this cannot be correct. Can any of the comms team advise please.

Sorry,you lose it if not used in your month.

Plusnet say it would be to complicated for them to carry unused allowance over :lol:
Zathras
Grafter

Unused PAYG allowance

As they cant even fix the upgrade tool to buy extra 2gb, refunds would be asking too much.
gswindale
Grafter

Unused PAYG allowance

Again an area where Plus seem to be lacking

In order to avoid any delays to their Internet connection by running out of bandwidth, customers can pre-purchase extra GB at any time via their account in the Zen Customer Portal. This banked amount will only be used when downloads exceed the monthly limit, and will roll-over to the next month if not used. Partly-used GB will be rounded up to the nearest MB at the end of each calendar month, ensuring that the maximum amount is carried over into the next month.

Although their monthly costs are a little higher, the stats on Thinkbroadband suggest that Zen are an altogether better ISP than Plus at the moment.
scotmovie
Dabbler

Unused PAYG allowance

I pay for my electricity by monthly direct debit. I am charged for my usage. If I am in credit at end of a quarter the electricity company carries the credit forward. I don't loose what I have paid for.
Why then is it too complicated for Plusnet to do the same with prepaid and unused usage? Isn't this the sort of thing that computers can do?
Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

Unused PAYG allowance

I tend to think of PAYG as a hard capped service where you can choose the level suited to your needs. In those circumstances I can sort of live with no carrying over the balance - I frequently under use my allowance by a significant amount - but then I am on the 15GB special.

What really gets up my nose is the idea that if I go over the included allowance, pay £1.80 for the extra 2GB and only use a bit the rest is lost.

Either the extra usage purchased should carry over, or it should come in smaller increments (I wouldn't mind if it was therefore a bit more expensive). 10p per 100MB would be ideal to my mind.
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£13/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
Community Veteran

Unused PAYG allowance

Thanks for the input chaps.

May be being a little hardnosed here, but isnt taking away something I have paid for theftHuh If this was in the retail world it would not be stood for, and I dont know how Plus get away with some of the things they do!!! I paid for 2Gb. Why then should I make sure I use it. I can maybe understand if my initial useage gets absorbed, but not I I paid for an extra 2Gb and 2 days later I am reset. That is just not on. Maybe how Elvin has said, can we buy in smaller increments, or can the extra allowoance be carried over.
ForeverArsenal
Grafter

Unused PAYG allowance

Either the extra usage purchased should carry over, or it should come in smaller increments (I wouldn't mind if it was therefore a bit more expensive). 10p per 100MB would be ideal to my mind.

Or should be a whole lot cheaper,as I've been thinking of changing ISP over the last month or so I've been looking at BT Option 2 with hub and 8 gig allowance.

I would have to double check as I'm not 100% sure but seem to remember that if you consistently go over your 8 gigs they ask if you wish upgrade,if you exceed your allowance occassionally you will be charged 30p per gig the following month.
The 30p per gig does not smack you in the face when on site but read it somewhere on BT site re option 2.

Before you all roll your eyes and throw arms in the air re BT I speak as I find from my next door neighbours BT connection,knock seven sorts of **** mine speed and P2P.
Plusnet Staff
Plusnet Staff

Unused PAYG allowance

No promises here, but a Metronet/PAYG Basic style of paying per MB is something that is certainly being looked at rather than the pay per GB style.
Plusnet Staff
Plusnet Staff

Unused PAYG allowance

May be being a little hardnosed here, but isnt taking away something I have paid for theftHuh If this was in the retail world it would not be stood for, and I dont know how Plus get away with some of the things they do!!! I paid for 2Gb.

I don't see how you get to theft. If you buy a portion of chips and only eat half do you get a refund? Or buy a pint of stella and only drink half does the barman give you a "rollover half" the next time you come in?
Zathras
Grafter

Unused PAYG allowance

Actually its more akin to only being able to buy beer by the crate/barrel and the publican reselling what you dont drink. :lol:
N/A

Unused PAYG allowance

Perhaps a more fitting analogy for the current general situation is like an airline booking three people into each seat ;-) and asking those who are too 'fat' to fit in a seat with two other people to leave.... even though they sold the seats on the understanding that it was one person per seat...
Zathras
Grafter

Unused PAYG allowance

the upgrade tool to buy extra 2gb now works Cheesy