cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Unusable connection speeds on anything other than HTTP - tic

N/A

Hello

This will no doubt be yet another complaint amongst hundreds, but I am having trouble biting my tongue any further.

1) P2P (torrents or otherwise) traffic has dropped to unusable speeds. I used to get 400+ kbps on my ADSL512 account. Now, since you have applied traffic shaping, I am on a 2Mbps account and I can't get much above a few tens of kilobits - maybe 100 kbps occasionally.

2) Usenet service has also plummeted to unusable levels, whereas prior to your shaping I could get flat-out speeds on my 2Mbps account.
However, my traffic usage is well below the 30GB/100GB cap - so why am I being penalised? For the record, my October usage is 18GB peak/53GB total!

Your 25/10/06 Stew Norriss post to the user forums and newsgroup "Plusnet's vision for 2006" said a lot of encouraging things, one of which is "Our Sustainable Usage Policy is designed to protect the experience for our 99% of customers who use a sustainable amount"

I am one of the 99% - why am I suffering from a handicapped service?

Additionally, the post went on to say:
"We recognise that some customers are currently experiencing speed reductions at peak times, even if they are not heavy users. For this we apologise and ask you for a little more patience ... At present some customers are feeling the effects of this at peak times, but this will be resolved fully in the next couple of months and will lead to an all-round better experience for 99% of customers"

Am I going to see, in a couple of months, things return to normal for my usage please?

I could really do with an encouraging response to this email - I don't want to be one of the many people griping about your service and finally leaving - please persuade me that things will improve and that I should stay with it a while longer!

RMC
6 REPLIES
N/A

YOur luck my download figures are massively reduced compared to yours than 5 GB peak and 14Gb off peak, my highest usage ever was below 30Gb total and I am experiencing speeds if not similar but sometimes worse than yours, and yes I raised a ticket and yes received the same response as you. I will give them the two month time slot then I will really start to complain. I am one of their supposed golden users but still suffering. Evil
Ben_Brown
Grafter

As you have quoted from Stew's post, we are aware that p2p may not be as good as it could be for some customers and are working to improve this.

However, p2p speeds depends on many, many factors, of which the shaping on Premier accounts is one of the least influential.
N/A

However, p2p speeds depends on many, many factors, of which the shaping on Premier accounts is one of the least influential.

Ben;

Can you explain what the other factors may be, and why it is that many of your userbase have become so vocal since you have introduced the managed platform in the past few months?

Are you saying that the managed platform plays very little part in the problems that people are having with both P2P and Usenet applications? It seems odd that the level of complaints about these applications have risen dramatically since this has been introduced.
N/A

I said in my opening gambit

"Am I going to see, in a couple of months, things return to normal for my usage please? " and "I could really do with an encouraging response"

Your response was (in part admittedly) "p2p speeds depends on many, many factors, of which the shaping on Premier accounts is one of the least influential". That doesn't really count as much of an encouraging response even if you do acknowledge that you are working on it.

It is certainly the case that I and dozens of other complainers have seen this sequence of events:

1) I had good download speeds on P2P
2) then you applied shaping
3) and now my download speeds appear decimated

The quote I used from Stew Norris (which didn't actually refer to P2P as a point of detail) did say that in the next couple of months, things would improve - what I would like to press you on please is why low-usage users have been crippled along with the high-useage "problem" users - and can you confirm that you are indeed going to re-profile us low useage types so that we are no longer unfairly penalised?

In other words, whilst you may have wanted to control the heavy users, you have also controlled your light users at the same time, possibly inadvertently, and I seek some positive reassurance that you are going to redress this imbalance. I accept, albeit through gritted teeth these days, that usenet problems are ongoing (and on and on) but it is high time those issues got properly resolved too. That, however, is another story and perhaps better addressed elsewhere.

Cheers

RMC
Ben_Brown
Grafter

In short, yes.

We are aware that some light users p2p has been slowed down and are working to resolve this, however it will take some time for this to be fixed so we're not able to say at the moment when you will be noticing improvements.
N/A

- what I would like to press you on please is why low-usage users have been crippled along with the high-useage "problem" users - and can you confirm that you are indeed going to re-profile us low useage types so that we are no longer unfairly penalised?
RMC

They can't do that, as their new definition for light usage users is now 30gb peak and/or 100gb total (The SUP). That would mean they would have to loosen the throttles on all users to have a fair policy across the board. This in turn would mean their network would grind to a halt. The infrastructure they currently have in place and are unwilling to expand is not sustainable otherwise. The whole point of the ellacoya kit is to stop this happening.

They say they will improve the throttled services in the next 2 months. We will see. I doubt anything will change for p2p though.