cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Until yesterday I was such a happy customer

curati
Grafter

I haven't been on these forums very often and I suppose people don't come on unless to complain. Personally I've had 14 months of brilliant service from Plus net. I do remember when my service didn't connect very well at the beginning I phoned the support line (local rate I think) and I got straight through to a person (no selecting numbers and waiting around) and the person was very helpful and knowledgable.

2 Weeks ago I received an email saying that my account would be updated to the 8MB service on the 29th August. The internet would be off for about 5 minutes, however with complications it may be down for up to a maximum of two hours. I would be informed when the line had been upgraded by email and if the changes had to be delayed I would not receive an email, but my service would continue as normal.

As I have not received an email saying that my service has been upgraded I presume I fit into the category of "service remaining as normal". However since the morning of the 29th August I have had no internet connection.

The original email also gave me information about the settings for my router, unfortunately I've looked through my router and cannot find any settings that match the recommended settings.

I was wondering if other people had been experiencing similar problems to mine. Secondly how long before I can expect to hear from the good people of plus net. Thanks.
14 REPLIES
retep
Grafter

Upgrade to 8Mb in two weeks could well mean MaxDSL did they mention that? If you haven't already done so raise a ticket in the portal help & support area.

There were no router changes suggested in May/June when I was 'upgraded to 8Mb' and I have had a similiar problems to you. In my two month long ticket on the problem this was never mentioned so its either a new solution or a different problem.

What may get you back online is switching off the router then wait 10 seconds then switch it back on. If it doesn't work repeat that a good few times if still no connection.

Hope that helps.

Peter.
curati
Grafter

right thanks for that i will try. i'm not optimistic however. I don't think they can have done the update or they would have emailed me ... right?

it looks to me as though they've got half way through the job. They've turned off my connection, then haven't been able to sort out the new connection for some reason, hence not emailing me. Then they've not bothered to reconnect back to old connection.

I will try as you suggest - then post again to say if it helps.
curati
Grafter

Just tried turning off a couple of time 30 seconds and 20 seconds. Reconnected and left it on for a couple of minutes but absolutely no cigar.

i would appreciate any other pieces of wisdom - I'm willing to try most things (excepet morris dancing)
retep
Grafter

Worth a try and all I can suggest I'm afraid. Try posting more information, was MaxDSL mentioned in your e-mail for instance.

As for an e-mail notification when 8Mb was live I didn't get one.
MrToast
Grafter

I've been moved to BT MaxDSL and wasn't asked to make any changes. Just to disconnect and re-connect.

1. What changes were you requested to make?
2. Does your router actually sync with the exchange?
3. Are you able to login to the BT Test user?;
Use user id: user bt_test@startup_domain and no password. You will only be able to access www.bt.net

Finally, to be clear, when you say that you can't connect to the internet I presume you mean you can't connect to Plusnet? (And you are not using your ADSL to post to this forum.) Please excuse the obvious question... but it is an important distinction.
curati
Grafter

Connected.

I managed to get hold of a usb voyager 105 modem and that connects.

My problem is that the wireless router/modem does not seem to recognise the line.

Does anyone have anything they can offer to help

I have a d-link 624 modem and d-link dsl 300G+ router.

I have not downloaded any firmware that exists on the d-link website because I have heard people having problems with firmware that then damages the hardware permanently.
florid
Grafter

Have you tried re setting your router by holding re set button on the back for 10 seconds power down the pc when you do this after this is done restart pc and go into the web interface to manually put in your settings to connect to the internet.
curati
Grafter

I'm getting there ... slowly. I've now managed to get access to the internet with my d-link modem after using the settings that I've listed below. One problem I am facing is that although I could find the option to change those settings on the modem I cannont find them on the router.

I've not tried resetting the router yet - I guess this is the next thing for me try this evening I'll let you know how I get on.

The settings that I've been asked to insert into the modem are

- VPI = 0, VCI = 38
- ADSL Modulation: Auto or G.DMT
- Encapsulation Mode: PPP over ATM (PPPoA - RFC2364) or VC-MUX - NOT LLC-Based
or PPPoE
- Authentication Mode: CHAP
rslsys
Grafter

We use d-link kit quite a lot. Have you got the latest firmware installed on your modem & router?
It is available for download from the D-link ftp site and it is amazing how often a firmware fix resolves problems.
N/A

Hi there,

I could find the option to change those settings on the modem I cannont find them on the router.

If you have the manual for the router handy then initially refer to page 26 and figure 5 for the Connection type and Encapsulation mode settings. These are accessed on the router via the Account Configuration Tab.

(If you dont have it handy, the manual can be downloaded here at the bottom of that page)

Having entered the settings there, Save to flash and reboot.

To change the VPI/VCI refer to page 31 figure 9

These settings can be accessed via the System Settings tab in the web interface.

Once entered, Save to flash again.

That should be you up and running.

I hope that helps.
florid
Grafter

connection

you must use PPPoA and VPI = 0, VCI = 38 then put username and password in then save your settings you should then be connected
do all of the above after you have re set your router using re set at the back there is no other settings you need
curati
Grafter

the link you posted was for the modem. I have absolutely no problem connecting to the internet when the ethernet cable is plugged directly from the modem to the computer.

My problem occurs when I try to plug the modem into the wireless router.

When I login to the router interface I cannot find the menus for PPPoA and VPI and VCI. I should make it clear that I have no problems in locating these menus in the modem 300G+. It is the d-link di-624 which is causing me the problems.

Thanks once again for all the help so far.
curati
Grafter

Today I am once again a happy customer.

My biggest problem was that my router needed to be set to have a dynamic IP and then the modem needed to have all the settings as outlined in the original email.

My one complaint is that plus.net promised to email me when the line was ready and failed to do so.

Other than that good work - and I like the new faster service.
lhorwath
Grafter

Hi Curati,

Its a fair question, will find this out on Monday, if its a problem from our end I will raise it as such, but I have a feeling BT did not inform us of the completion as I have seen a few cases like that. If we don't get informed, we can't send the mail.

Glad its working ok for you though.