cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Unsolicited email from your PlusNet account

N/A

I keep getting an email saying I'm sending out unsolicited emails and that my account will be supended if I don't reply to the email. I have ran several virus scans and Adware,Spybot etc with no Viruses found. I'm convinced the Problem exists on PLUSNET's servers. I have replied to the abuse team
with no email response back. I think I will move to a different provider unless PLUSNET can fix the problem.

Any thoughts ?
6 REPLIES
N/A

Sounds like spoof mails?
csogilvie
Grafter

Have you checked what the history in link:Contact Us says - these sort of things should be logged there (and if they aren't, IMO its a serious oversite...).

Have you tried running a virus scan to see if you have a virus that is sending out these emails?
N/A

I have replied to atleast three email's saying I have ran several virus checkers
and no virus's found, I didn't get a reply to one, apart from the Standard email saying email received. I did ask for a copy of the spoof emails and I have an example. I'm currently running windows ME and are upgrading to XP next week so hopefully this might cure the problem.
N/A

That comes abck to the question, are you sure these e-mails are legitimate?

What address do they come from and can you post the headers of the e-mail.
N/A

This sounds like the result of one of the variants of the Bagle virus.

Do the e-mails come with an attachment? Does the e-mail claim that this attachment includes "instructions"?
Could you post the subject and part of the message body (just the first few sentences) of one such e-mail.

Assuming this is as I suspect, these e-mails are being sent by someone else who has a variant of the Bagle virus and also has your e-mail address on their machine. The virus will gather all of the addresses it can find on the infected user's machine and then send off these misleading e-mails, complete with a copy of the virus.
Getting these e-mails does not indicate that you have the virus (unless you have opened one of the attachments.) It seems you have already performed a virus scan, which is a good idea - just to be sure.
jberry
Grafter

Hi there,

We would only continue to contact you if we were still receiving complaints about mail coming from your IP address (or if we are sure it has not been spoofed, you e-mail address). If you have been unable to find a virus thus far then it is definately worth checking using another virus checker. You can do an online scan at http://housecall.trendmicro.com to see if this picks it up.

Also make sure you have all the latest Windows updates just in case.

Regards,