cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Unhappy with T&C's but charged to not agree

N/A

I'm a new customer to Broadband Plus only having been activated on the 24th of August, I also took the deferred activation cost option, fortunately without a modem. I'm not happy with the changes to the T&C's specifically the auto-disconnection policy. This is something that would've stopped me subscribing to the service, yet if I've read the T&C's correctly, although I can cancel because the T&C's are changing I am still liable to pay both the activation charge, and the remaining 12 months charges + 10%, and an admistration fee! In total I work it out as £237.25 to leave.So it seems I'm not getting the service I signed up to, yet I still can't leave. Evil

I saw no link in the legal info section during signup that stated that taking deffered activation or a modem would tie me into a 12 month contract, only that I'd have to pay the fee should I wish to leave. Reading back now, the only reference to it I can find is in section 19.1, which contains a link to the page that is otherwise apparently un-link to. :?:

Any thoughts on a possible move? Or have I totally got the wrong end of the stick? Should've remembered the old adage, if it seems too good to be true, it probably is. :roll:
20 REPLIES
N/A

The basis for this is that the agreement for 'deferred activation' (sometimes called 'exit fee', although in practice the deferred activation term is more accurate since it is a fee PlusNet pay BT Wholesale at the beginning) is separate from the broadband terms. We have not sought a legal opinion on this issue, however on the face of it, this seems unfair from the user's perspective. When a user made a choice to enter into a longer contract with PlusNet, they made this decision based on the various pricing and service terms. Now that the terms of the service have changed, it is not unreasonable for consumers to claim that the service is fundamentally different and is no longer fit for the purpose it was originally sold. If you feel this is the case, we would suggest you contact a Citizen's Advice Bureau and seek further advice on your rights as a consumer.

http://www.adslguide.org.uk/newsarchive.asp?item=2349

Further to my previous post, just read this on adslguide.org. At first the charge was to be waived, but then this decision was changed, although I wouldn't have to pay the 12 months. Why wasn't this information given to us by plusNet? Looks like I'll be calling the CAB tomorrow then. :roll:
Community Veteran

Indeed this is one that needs serious attention. In my view PN cannot force you to pay a penny toward the product as they have changed the terms and condtions.

This is something that PN should have factored into their decision to change the product. Allowing people to sign up to a product and then demanding theactivation charge after changing the product fundamentaly is serious sharp practice at best and illegal at worst.

As the article on AG states, seek advice from the CAB or a legal body as soon as possible.
N/A

I am still liable to pay both the activation charge, and the remaining 12 months charges + 10%, and an admistration fee! In total I work it out as £237.25 to leave.

As I see it you are going to be asked ( rightly or wrongly, who knows) to pay the activation fee.
But I'm pretty sure you won't be held to pay for or honour the rest of the contract.
Things change so fast here, it's hard to keep up.
N/A

paulwade, no offence, but did you actually read my second post mate? :roll:
N/A

lol, sorry, I spent so much time researching your first I never noticed the thread had grown.
Shockedops:
N/A

S'ok Smiley

Just goes to show, the information isn't exactly made plain and easily available for all to read is it!
N/A

You get to know more reading AG than their own threads. This company is so full of sharp and devious practices now, one needs a lawyer to read every post they make and the ones they ought to make. But I would consult CAB, I am sure they can't charge you they made the change so soon into the contract. Guess they just forgot to tell you and a thousand others.
N/A

Just found this page, not seen it before. :roll:

Terms & Conditions of 'The PlusNet Guarantee'

This offer applies only if you are a new PlusNet customer
This offer applies to customers who decide to “migrate out” their service.
You must tell us within 45 days of your service being activated if you wish to take advantage of this offer.
The date at which your contract ends will be calculated according to our standard Terms & Conditions, and the contract period chosen during registration.
We will pay the lesser of:
£12.99 (Inc. VAT), or
the cost charged by your new provider for carrying out the migration.
The money will only be paid upon production of an invoice from your new provider for the migration fee. This must be produced within the 3 months following the end of your contract with us through Contact Us.
You are responsible for ensuring that we have valid credit/debit card details, in order for us to process your payment.
We reserve the right to vary the Terms and Conditions of the offer. We similarly reserve the right to terminate the offer. Any such changes will normally be announced through our Announcements section available from the Service Status page of our Portal website.
This offer is not open to resellers of any of PlusNet plc's services or accounts provided by those resellers.
All of our standard Terms & Conditions apply, and take precedence over these terms where there may be a conflict.
This offer does not affect your statutory rights.

http://www.plus.net/features/guarantee_terms_and_condtitions.shtml

Does this mean I can migrate to another ISP without having to pay the deferred connection fee? :?:
N/A

broadband payg not subject to timeout?

The T/C change email states that broadband PAYG will not be subject to timeout.
Good for me since that is my tariff.
If they decide to add timeouts to this account or chage the fixed IP I will have to change.
I have VOIP, Web server, DNS, mail server etc running at home.

Chris.
N/A

In which case the traffic from the voip (esepcially if you're using SIP and a STUN server) will more than keep your link alive Wink
N/A

Still awaiting a response from my ticket I sent yesterday evening, despite there apparently being a 9hr turn around on tickets, I've not heard a word from PlusNET yet, not even a confirmation of reciept. :roll:
N/A

I'm STILL awaiting a reply to my ticket, please respond PlusNET. It says on your customer services page that the target turn-around is 8hrs, and the averag is 9hrs 30. It's been two days now I'm starting to think I'm being ignored. :roll:
N/A

i am + 24 hour infact by end of to day it be 48 hours wondering if they are avoidiing it till the 6th so they can say ha to late now as i am complaiing that it is wrong that i should have to pay to leave for something i am happy with except for a few things in the t&C so i think i shouldnt have to pay due to them forcing me to leave.
N/A

Unfortunatly, they can't say too late to you.

The request is taken from the date you submit the request via contact us.

So two people submitting the request on the same day, one having it dealt with right away the other over a week later (example), would still have the dates things take place, based around the request date, not the answer date.