cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Unfair adavantage

N/A

Unfair adavantage

It would appear to me that some ISP's have an unfair advantage when it comes to moving their customers over to maxdsl. At work we are with BT. I recieved an email asking me did I want to upgrade to maxdsl. I answered yes. I was immediately given a date when this change would happen. This was 10 days ago and the date set for the upgrade was today. Guess what? Overnight the upgrade took place.
This is so different from my experience on my home connection with PN.
I am not blaming plusnet but would like to know why BT retail seems to have an unfair advantage when it comes to upgrades and would also like to know if PN have asked the question.
anyone else had similar experiences.? It all seems a bit unfair to me.
5 REPLIES
N/A

Unfair adavantage

The number of regrades an ISP can put through to BT Wholesale depends on market share.

BT Retail are much much bigger than PlusNet and many other providers, therefore the number of regrades they can manage will always be greater. BT also seem to be pushing the upgrade process for Business customers very heavily. Sad

Having said that, there have always been complaints of BT Retail having an unfair advantage over other ISP's due to their unique relationship with Wholesale. It shouldnt happen and there are checks and balances in place to prevent it, but nonethe less, the suspicion is always there.
N/A

Unfair adavantage

Its also the point that they are able to give you a date for the upgrade the moment you agree to it wheras PN customers are just left with a 'whenever they can do it' Even if I was told that my upgrade would take place in 4 weeks time on a particular date - at least I would know. If BT can get set dates out of BTW why cant PN?
Mand
Grafter

Unfair adavantage

Hi

If we place orders manually we can give the date that this will complete. Our upgrades are being completed using the bulk upgrade tool, as this means we can place many more orders per day. We do have a certain number of manual orders per day, determined by market share, however these are taken up by day to day orders which we have to place.

BT have many more customers than anyone else, and are not upgrading their entire userbase automatically, so have a lot more orders spare each day than they are presently using. This means they can offer individual upgrades and place the orders manually.
shellsong
Grafter

Unfair adavantage

Surely even with bulk regrades BTw should know when customers submitted via the bulk regrade tool are going to be scheduled for upgrading and therefore should be able to inform ISPs in time for them to give customers prior warning?

Maybe ISPs who use BTw products should band together over issues like this and seek a more enlightened approach on behalf of their customers
Community Veteran

Unfair adavantage

Orders via the BT regrade tool are submitted weekly - i.e. 3500 or so at a time - and it's then up to BT to determin when they are done in the following weeks so it is not always possible to give an accurate date.

You should be getting emails to state your order has been submitted which would then give you a clue as to when it should happen but as the emails are not being sent, and PN cannot determin when the orders will be completed on an individual basis, its not possible to give out details.