Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Unfair Fair Usage Levels

Marteknet
Grafter

Unfair Fair Usage Levels

I consider that the new Teleworker fair usage levels are unfair. Here is why

Here are the residential fair usage thresholds and prices:

£18.99 - 22GB per month peak time, potential including off peak usage of 222GB* (This applies to current Home Surf customers)
£21.99 – 30 GB per month peak time, potential including off-peak usage of 230GB* (Including ADSL Home and Broadband EasyStart customers)
£29.99 – 50 GB per month peak time, potential including off-peak usage of 250GB* (Including Broadband EasyStart 1Mb)
£39.99 – 75GB per month peak time, potential including off-peak usage of 275GB*

* Off-peak is between 1am and 8am. The potential off-peak usage is based on a 2Mb broadband connection.

Here are the Teleworker products Fair Usage thresholds:
Teleworker 512Kb - 40GB per month at standard times (8am - 1am) and a potential 90GB with off-peak usage.
Teleworker 1Mb - 75GB per month at standard times (8am - 1am) and a potential 175GB with off-peak usage.
Teleworker Pro 512Kb - 40GB per month at standard times (8am - 1am) and a potential 90GB with off-peak usage.
Teleworker Pro 1Mb - 75GB per month at standard times (8am - 1am) and a potential 175GB with off-peak usage.
Teleworker Pro 2Mb - 125GB per month at standard times (8am - 1am) and a potential 325GB with off-peak usage.

I myself use a Teleworker 512Kb package and pay £24.99 a month knock off the £3 a month for the three domains I have and this equates to £21.99 exactly the same as a residential account at with 30 GB per month peak time and a potential including off-peak usage of 230GB*

Why then do is see this listed as the fair usage for my account:
Teleworker 512Kb - 40GB per month at standard times (8am - 1am) and a potential 90GB with off-peak usage.
Why only 90GB off-peak then a residential account has 230GB

If this is about costs and making sure that users who use the most resources pay for them then it would seem Teleworkers are getting a raw deal.
10 REPLIES
Plusnet Staff
Plusnet Staff
Fixes: 1

Unfair Fair Usage Levels

Hi,

Thanks for pointing this out, I've raised it with the content team to change. I'm sorry if it seems a little unfair but there is a missing element to these figures which should clear this up.

What these figures for the Teleworker products don't take into account are the forthcoming speed upgrades. The reason for this is because we haven't announced all the details for Teleworker, but we are going to make sure this will be done.

Essentially like the residential accounts Teleworker accounts will be upgraded to the maximum speed the line will allow from April.

The figures we've listed are what they would be if fair usage was introduced today i.e. before the speed upgrades start.

So as a 512kbps Teleworker customer at some point from April (I can't unfortunately say when yet as we don't have a schedule) we will regrade your line to either 1 or 2Mbps (so long as the line supports it) for free.

You'll still initially be paying £24.99 per month and you'll have a 40GB fair usage threshold, and you can continue to pay this. Assuming you get 2Mbps then the off peak maximum would be, as with residential, about 200GB.

If you wanted to you could upgrade to 75GB package for free. Although a change the other way would have a fee.
N/A

Unfair Fair Usage Levels

If I'm reading this correctly and the speed increases offered are over all accounts, what is to stop residential customers on the £21.99 30Gig FUP transferring to the Teleworker for the same price but with an additional 10Gig FUP per month?

I thought I'd got my head around all this, but now I'm not so sure :shock:

Graham
Marteknet
Grafter

Unfair Fair Usage Levels

Don't even think of it if you have a web site, as in fact you will get less of a service with a teleworker account.

I know because I was made to change over by force9. Teleworkers get halve the webspace and traffic bandwidth that residential customers get yet pay as much. Fine for some people, but if you are into web page design its a huge loss and a bit of a rip off.
Marteknet
Grafter

Unfair Fair Usage Levels

Hi,

Thanks for pointing this out, I've raised it with the content team to change. I'm sorry if it seems a little unfair but there is a missing element to these figures which should clear this up.

What these figures for the Teleworker products don't take into account are the forthcoming speed upgrades. The reason for this is because we haven't announced all the details for Teleworker, but we are going to make sure this will be done.

Hi Dave.

Can you please also raise the question of why Teleworkers get halve the webspace and traffic bandwidth then a residential account of a comparable price.
N/A

Unfair Fair Usage Levels

Don't even think of it if you have a web site, as in fact you will get less of a service with a teleworker account.

No problem, I had to move my website to another host because of bandwidth issues here at F9.

But going back over the information here, it seems that we/F9 have something of a mismatch on accounts, especially after the intro of maxDSL this April.

Residential 30Gb FU = £21.99
Teleworker 40Gb FU = £21.99

The contention ratio and other package options are the same except for the webspace allocation (250Mb/100Mb) and the website bandwidth (250Mb/100Mb).

For anyone without the need for webspace this seems to be a beneficial move, gaining an additional 10Gb usage per month. As the price stays the same then no fees should be incurred either.

cheers
Graham
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 69

Unfair Fair Usage Levels

512k Teleworker Premier is £24.99/mnth. We have no problem with customers upgrading to this package. Should they wish to revert to a residential product at a later date then they may be expected to prove that the account is not being used for business purposes.

Teleworker accounts are all annual contracts.

The reduced webspace is part of the account spec. It is generally accepted that a Teleworker has less requirement for webspace. Teleworker accounts are given 100MB of webspace with a daily traffic allocation of 100MB.

Regards,

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Products Team
If I've been helpful then please give thanks ⤵

Marteknet
Grafter

Unfair Fair Usage Levels

512k Teleworker Premier is £24.99/mnth. We have no problem with customers upgrading to this package. Should they wish to revert to a residential product at a later date then they may be expected to prove that the account is not being used for business purposes.

The reduced webspace is part of the account spec. It is generally accepted that a Teleworker has less requirement for webspace. Teleworker accounts are given 100MB of webspace with a daily traffic allocation of 100MB.

Regards,

That's Just plain Crazy are you really saying that residential customers have more need for webspace than business customers. I think not.

This seems to be just an other cunning plan by force9 to reduce their costs and maximise their profits by giving things to people who wouldn't in all probability use them to there full and withhold the same resources to those who would use them.
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

Unfair Fair Usage Levels

What I am saying is that a Teleworker (eg. an employee working from home) has little, if any need, for a hosted web site. Business sites should be hosted on business accounts. We provide 500MB of webspace on these accounts.

With Teleworker Pro you get a high quality broadband Internet connection that's reliable, whatever time of the day you connect. With a choice of speeds up to 40x faster than dialup, you can work from home with the same level of productivity and efficiency that you do in the office.

Home working offers convenience and allows you to email, browse the web and connect to your company network without having to travel into the office. Saving time and money, Teleworker Pro is a cost-effective way to enjoy the benefits of home working.

The Teleworker packages have less webspace because that is how they were marketed. We are not reducing costs. We are not reducing anything. The Teleworker products have always had this amount of webspace.

Regards,

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Products Team

Marteknet
Grafter

Unfair Fair Usage Levels

I say again.

This seems to be just an other cunning plan by force9 to reduce their costs and maximise their profits by giving things to people who wouldn't in all probability use them to there full and withhold the same resources to those who would use them.

here are the facts

Available Webspace

Residential accounts

Pay As You Go 25MB
Lite 250MB
Unmetered Dialup 250MB
ADSL Home Surf 25MB
Broadband 250MB

Business accounts
Business Free 50MB
Netstart (dialup) 500MB
Netstart (adsl) 250MB
Unmetered Dialup 500MB
ADSL Biz Surf 50MB
Broadband 500MB

Daily Traffic Bandwidth Allowance

Residential accounts
Pay As You Go 100MB
Lite 250MB
Unmetered Dialup 250MB
ADSL Home Surf 250MB
Broadband 250MB

Business accounts
Business Free 105MB
Netstart (dialup) 500MB
Netstart (adsl) 250MB
Unmetered Dialup 500MB
ADSL Biz Surf 150MB
Broadband 500MB

Even residential pay as you go customers get 100MB Daily Traffic Bandwidth Allowance, that's the same as a Teleworker. You seem to have missed the whole point I was trying to make. You are offering 250Mb to Residential customers, how many people would require that amount of space for a personal web site, and on the other hand Teleworkers get only 100Mb. Please don't say that Teleworker accounts are for people who don't maintain web sites. If that was the case then why are they offered the option to have up to three Domains housed on a Teleworker account.

I had a residential account till I was told by Force9 that as I was running business web sites from my account I would have to change over to a business type account this included the Teleworker option.
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

Unfair Fair Usage Levels

All I can do is reiterate my earlier points. The Teleworker accounts were marketed this way. That is why the webspace allowance is as it is. They were aimed at a specific audience and the webspace was applied in accordance to this. It also helps differentiate between Teleworker and Small Business/Business accounts in that each has a varying number/quantity of Value Added Features.

I can understand your point and can see some of your justification. Comments are always taken on board and we may re-evaluate this when we next undertake a product refresh. We are a business so of course we aim to maximise profits. We certainly do not provide customers with services that we envisage they will not use. We like to think that alot of our features contribute towards a customer's decision to join us.

We offer a range of packages and would like to think that one can always be chosen that meets a customer's requirements.

Kind Regards,

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Products Team