cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Undo emergency dial up problems

N/A

I will try not to rant but it will be difficult.

I have had severe disruption to my broadband connection for over a month now. PN have drop my speed to 512 to stabalise the connection - that's a laugh, about 10 days ago.

It's been off for over 72 hrs but came back on today at 1.30pm and it's still on !!! Runing at 512

Last night in desperation I used the free dial up access on an XP laptop, not the main PC. I have a wired network at home. This worked for 45min then stopped. Now that the broadband is on I can't get a connection on the laptop.

Customer services have talked me through various setting changes but finally got bored, told me it was my laptop and suggested I speak to the manufacturer/supplier.

Therefore, can anyone point me in the direction of what's blocking my connection.

Any help would be appreciated

:twisted:
7 REPLIES
N/A

So you want your laptop to share your internet access with your main pc?

The easiest way to do this is:

- disable/remove firewall software on your laptop to ensure it does not conflict,
- configure your router for NAT & DHCP
- tell both PC's to use automatic IP & DNS addressing from the router
- confirm connection is working and then possibly reenable firewall (Although it's not really required, as your PC's will not be visible from the internet)

If connection doesn't work, check that both PCs have obtained an IP address and appropriate routing table.

Or, you can use the old method of ICS.
James
Grafter

Hi,

The problem you have been suffering, is that from the lobal disconnection issue on the Tiscali network, or is it a completey isolated incident?

If it's related to the global issue, then I can try changing your connection back to the default profile and see if that helps at all?
N/A

Hi James,

The connection was on from 1.30pm yesterday until 8.30am today.

It has just come back on now.

Can I suggest that you have a look at the various tickets on my account to see if your suggestion has already been done.

If not, I am prepared to try ANYTHING to get a continous broadband connection.
Plusnet Staff
Plusnet Staff
Fixes: 1

Hi,

If the broadband connects while you are using the dial-up connection then this will stop one of both from working as both connections are allocated the same IP address so one or both connections will fail to get any data transfer.

We can try and increase the speed, but if the problem is that the line is losing sync then increasing the speed profile is more likely to cause more problems than fixing it. Essentially it's a trade off between speed and stability.

Whay speed is the line sync'ing at now? Also do you know what the line stats are? The following page:

http://www.kitz.co.uk/adsl/frogstats.htm

lists how to get them on most routers. It may be that the line is sync'ing at too high a speed for what it can support.
N/A

Dave,

I have attached the dat from my modem/router.

Item Value
ADSL Line Type GDMT
ADSL Line Coding INTERLEAVED
Line Attenuation (Down):24 (Up):8
Noise Margin (Down):31 (Up):22
Total Output Power (Down):0 (Up):0
Current Rate DownStr: 576(K) UpStr: 288(K)
ADSL Line Status UP
FEC(FAST) (Near):0 (Far):0
FEC(INTERL) (Near):0 (Far):0
CRC(FAST) (Near):0 (Far):0
CRC(INTERL) (Near):1 (Far):0
HEC(FAST) (Near):0 (Far):0
HEC(INTERL) (Near):68 (Far):0
Showtime last(sec) 1158533292
ADSL_FW_Version 0.49
ADSL_Board_Type Annex A

I have no idea what most of the numbers mean.

Let me know what you think.

Thanks
Plusnet Staff
Plusnet Staff
Fixes: 1

The line stats look good, I've made a change to the line profile, you may need to reboot the modem/router for this to take effect. If you can post the line stats now we should be able to see if this has made a difference.
N/A

I would love to send you line stats.

But I have had no connection since approx 8.30am on Sunday 17th, that's over 48hrs with nothing.

What the hell is going on :twisted: Evil :twisted: