cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Unannounced downgrade of PAYG Speed

N/A

I have just noticed that PAYG speed has been down graded from the advertised "fastest speed available on your line" to "Up to 8Mb speeds nationwide ", I am not even on maxdsl yet but was looking forward to adsl2 speeds when switched to llu but since this offer has been withdrawn it's yet another change of contract without notification. :x
7 REPLIES
Community Veteran

I'd expect this is a typo introduced with the new look portal. Hope a PN bod will be along soon to confirm.

SW.
--
3Mb FTTC
https://portal.plus.net/my.html?action=data_transfer_speed
N/A

I thought all packages were "Fastest speed your line can support - up to 8Mbs"
Rather than one or the other in isolation.
Community Veteran

Plus and Premier Option 1 are up to 8Mb.
PAYG is up to 24Mb.
Premier Option 2 is up to 16Mb.
Premier Option 3 is up to 24Mb.

Remember folks 'up to' means depending on your line quality.

SW.
--
3Mb FTTC
Community Veteran

If you go to this page, you will see the full details after clikcing on each of the blue 'INFO' buttons.

The terms 'upto 8Mb nationwide' is used elsewhere on the website, and this is true because 8Mb is available nationwide, however ADSL2+ for >8Mb speeds is only available on a much smaller number of LLU exchanges.

SW.
--
3Mb FTTC
N/A

It might well be that the number of LLU exchanges is low, but the old wording, since April this year and the "product refresh" was "up to 24 Mbps" I think...

John (elvin) may know or have screenshots! Just that the current wording does appear to offer a "get out" of free regrading to the maximum speed available on LLU, when for PAYG it had been touted as up to 24 (then I think Tiscali started to get cold feet, after some others had problems actually providing 24 Mbps, and had to downgrade it to "up to 22 Mbps".

So if Tiscali is planning to limit to 16 Mbps, which would be reasonable, why doesn't PN at least offer "up to 16 Mbps, where available" ... or has Tiscali said it will be 2007 before they do any upgrades, and PN is therefore not wanting to push hopes up for higher speeds this year, and then be able to announce them closer the day, so they have some good PR for the ISP comparison websites... (OK, a bit cynical, but it is late, should get to bed soon!)
Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

http://www.plus.net/features/news/march_newsletter.shtml

Broadband PAYG

Great news - all usage between midnight and 8am will be FREE! That’s 8 hours of free broadband a day!

PAYG customers will be upgraded, for free, to up to 24Mb speeds once available, making this a great way to get really fast speeds for a low monthly price.

We’re also adding 120 minutes of evening and weekend PlusTalk broadband phone calls (VoIP) each month.*

* Customers who already have a PlusTalk service will not be affected by these changes. Included PlusTalk minutes can only be used to call UK landline numbers beginning with 01 & 02.
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£13/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
James
Grafter

Re: Unannounced downgrade of PAYG Speed

I have just noticed that PAYG speed has been down graded from the advertised "fastest speed available on your line" to "Up to 8Mb speeds nationwide ", I am not even on maxdsl yet but was looking forward to adsl2 speeds when switched to llu but since this offer has been withdrawn it's yet another change of contract without notification. :x

Hi Guys,

I've just raised this internally. Thanks for pointing it out.