cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Unacceptably slow webmail service

shermans
Rising Star
Posts: 1,053
Thanks: 28
Fixes: 1
Registered: 07-09-2007

Unacceptably slow webmail service

Why is the webmail service so unacceptably slow ? It takes as long as 10 minutes just to refresh screens - forget trying to download anything.

Also, nine times out of ten these days the ISDN line is busy and you cannot get through.

Is it time to find a new ISP ? Any suggestions anyone ?
7 REPLIES
N/A

RE: Unacceptably slow webmail service

> Why is the webmail service so unacceptably slow ? It takes as long as 10 minutes just to refresh screens - forget trying to download anything.
>
> Also, nine times out of ten these days the ISDN line is busy and you cannot get through.
>
> Is it time to find a new ISP ? Any suggestions anyone ?

Hi,

I've just tested on my own account and was able to log into webmail fairly promptly. The main reason it can be very slow when loading your inbox is if you have configured webmail to collect mail from other providers, if there is a problem with connecting to their servers this can cause a significant delay.

Regarding the busy signals, are you noticing this all the time or at particular times of the day? If it is continual it could indicate a fault at your exchange/line and you should raise this via Contact Us. If only at peak times then this is likely due to the contention of your account. On the highest contended accounts it is likely to take a few redials in order to connect at peak times, upgrading to a lower contended account would improve this.

Kind Regards,
Rob
--
| Robert Kelly.....................Unmetered & ADSL solutions
| Technical Support...................for Home & Business
| PlusNet Technologies Ltd...........@ http://www.plus.net
+ ----- My Referrals - It pays to recommend PlusNet -----

N/A

RE: Unacceptably slow webmail service

I agree, the web mail is slower than my first days on the internet, in the days of compuserve and a 14,400 bps fax modem. Plusnet, you say you have redesigned you site to make it quicker, please point out to us the improvements. Im sat on a 2mb ADSL line and have to wait near on 60 seconds to view my inbox.

Please make you service quicker. I am not collecting from any other provider so please dont make that excuse.

Rick

> > Why is the webmail service so unacceptably slow ? It takes as long as 10 minutes just to refresh screens - forget trying to download anything.
> >
> > Also, nine times out of ten these days the ISDN line is busy and you cannot get through.
> >
> > Is it time to find a new ISP ? Any suggestions anyone ?
>
> Hi,
>
> I've just tested on my own account and was able to log into webmail fairly promptly. The main reason it can be very slow when loading your inbox is if you have configured webmail to collect mail from other providers, if there is a problem with connecting to their servers this can cause a significant delay.
>
> Regarding the busy signals, are you noticing this all the time or at particular times of the day? If it is continual it could indicate a fault at your exchange/line and you should raise this via Contact Us. If only at peak times then this is likely due to the contention of your account. On the highest contended accounts it is likely to take a few redials in order to connect at peak times, upgrading to a lower contended account would improve this.
>
> Kind Regards,
> Rob
> --
> | Robert Kelly.....................Unmetered & ADSL solutions
> | Technical Support...................for Home & Business
> | PlusNet Technologies Ltd...........@ http://www.plus.net
> + ----- My Referrals - It pays to recommend PlusNet -----
>
>

N/A

RE: Unacceptably slow webmail service

I' have also had a bad experience in using webmail or any of the 'office' components. I do not have any collections from other isp's so don't know what the reason is.

I'm accessing plusnet from a mac and have tried using IE, Netscape and Safari browsers, all show similar v. slow response.
--
--------------------------
Webmaster
Splat Cooking Parties Ltd
http://www.splatcooking.co.uk
---------------------------
N/A

RE: Unacceptably slow webmail service

> I' have also had a bad experience in using webmail or any of the 'office' components. I do not have any collections from other isp's so don't know what the reason is.
>
> I'm accessing plusnet from a mac and have tried using IE, Netscape and Safari browsers, all show similar v. slow response.
>
> --
> --------------------------
> Webmaster
> Splat Cooking Parties Ltd
> http://www.splatcooking.co.uk
> ---------------------------

I cannot get into web mail at all?:angryfire:
N/A

RE: Unacceptably slow webmail service

Hi Guys,

We are well aware that the webmail application leaves a lot to be desired. The system tends to fallover if you have a large number of messages waiting (Lets say above 50) and I'm sure this is another reason for the slowdowns.

We announced previosuly that a replacement webmail facility is currently being developed. This is not an easy thing to build though and will be a number of months in development. In the mean time I'm afraid that there is little we can do to improve the webmail service.

In terms of the portal changes, these were more involved with the removal of Javascript and uneccessary code from each page, and I can assure you that the average time to load every portal page is now seconds lower than it was before.

With Regards,

Ian Wild
PlusNet Customer Support
N/A

RE: Unacceptably slow webmail service

> I' have also had a bad experience in using webmail or any of the 'office' components. I do not have any collections from other isp's so don't know what the reason is.
>
> I'm accessing plusnet from a mac and have tried using IE, Netscape and Safari browsers, all show similar v. slow response.

I find that most pages load quicker in the Opera
browser (I'm on version 5 but the latest is 7).

When my dial-up stops transmitting data the only
thing that reliably gets data flowing again
is reloading a plusnet page in opera.
This doesn't work in IE, netscape, mozilla or any
other browser.

The rendering isn't perfect and it's a bit sensitive
with java or javascript, but perhaps that's ironed
out in the later versions.

It really is quite a lot faster - I only use other
broswers for pages that won't work well in Opera.

Webmail's OK for me from home (although I don't use
it often) but _very_ slow from elsewhere.

Andrew Clow
Still a happy customer despite the
increased failed dial-ups.
N/A

RE: Unacceptably slow webmail service

> I find that most pages load quicker in the Opera
> browser (I'm on version 5 but the latest is 7).

I've just downloaded version 7, and on pages with lots of ads it's actually _faster_ than the previous version!