cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Unacceptable customer service

N/A

See below my current postion with a speed issue with plus net.

My current connection speed is less than 20K on 1MB account. Plus net appear unable or unwilling to help me with this unless I can produce test results from the BT speedchecker web site. I've tried to explain that the site doesn't work, which may be due to my current issues or not, but still it doesn't work. As you can see from the thread below that without the results they can do nothing!!

I am also expected to try the same tests between midnight and 7am, which I feel is unreasonable (I work late and getting up at 6am or staying up to midnight is not an option). The final option is for me to purchase a new router. As far as I can see the assumption from plus net is that ALL problems must be down to the customer and unless I can prove otherwise I might as well get *******.

This is far from good customer service and I feel like closing my account and taking my business elsewhere. I don't want to do this, but I can see no other choice.

Steve

2005-08-20
18:30:43
You
Open : [Support Wizard Journey]
[Technical query]
[Other]
[Customer couldn't find a wizard option for his query please review the need to change the wizard]
[Additional Information]
Hi,

My connection speed appears to have dropped dramatically. The best I seem to get today is 200kbps (normally around 1mb)

Tried speed test and rebooted router but still slow. Any help appreciated.

Thanks

Steve
2005-08-20
18:39:20

Customer Support Centre Actioned : Dear Mr Amos,
Can I ask where these readings are being obtained from. Do you mean you are downloading at 200kbps? If so then this is normal for a 2mbit connection.

Regards,

2005-08-21
08:37:50
You
Assigned :

I think you are mixing up bits and bytes. The 200kbit (20KB) reading was from the plus net speed test. It should have returned 1000kbit (i.e. 100KB or 1mbit). Note that my exchange hasn't been upgraded from 1 to 2 mb yet.

Thanks

Steve

2005-08-21
08:42:37

If you are having speeds this slow, I would suggest that you run through the BT speed checker a few times, to try and determine where the fault lies. If you can run through these tests three times, at least one of which should be between the hours of midnght and seven in the morning, we will then be able to investigate further for you.

Full details on running these tests are available here: http://usertools.plus.net/tutorials/id/27

Regards,

2005-08-21
08:45:18

Can you confirm the speeds you are getting when using the BT speed tester located at http://usertools.plus.net/tutorials/id/27 we need to identify if the issue is with BT (your exchange) or on our side. Once these tests have been complete please reply back with the results in the ticket.

If the speeds are below 200kbps can you please test alteast once between the hours of 12am and 7am to eliminate a contention issue.
Regards,

2005-08-21
13:23:37

Passing to customer
Regards,

2005-08-21
18:50:56
You
Assigned : Hi

Tried the BT speed test, but it doesn't appear to work correctly. After a very long time it eventually returned stating a download speed of 2kbits a second!!

Tried again later today but gave up when it didn't return after half an hour. The plus net speed test still returns very slow speeds (100 to 200 kbits)

Any help appreciated

Steve
2005-08-21
21:29:37

Unfortunetly we are unable to raise any fault until the BT speed tests have been done, please try clearing your temporary internet cach/files disabling any firewall/anti-virus software and try again.

Regards,

2005-08-21
22:15:06
You
Assigned : Unfortunately it doesn't work. I find it hard to see how I can progress this with the BT speed checker.

My current download speed is slower than a 14K modem!!

I also find it strange that you rely on a BT web site that states it is in betaHuh

I'll do my best to help you, but currently I have an internet connection that doesn't work.

Thanks

Steve
2005-08-22
07:43:03

Customer Support Centre Assigned : Dear Mr Amos,
I'm passing this through to see if they engineers can investigate further based on your attempts to use the BT Speed Test service.

As for the use of this speed checker, this is required by BT themselves before any speed issue can be raised through to them.

Regards,

2005-08-22
07:54:20

I can understand this is frustrating but we do require them, can you insure the speed issue is not with your PC by running a virus scan, disabling firewall/anti-virus software. Also try plugging the router/modem directly in to the master socket inline with a filter (WITHOUT extension cable, also swap the filter), and unplug any non-adsl equipment.

Once this has all been done try the speed checker again between the hours of 12am and 7am, also try an alternative modem as it should give you a quicker result after 12am when the connection is not a busy.
Regards,

2005-08-22
09:36:09
You
Assigned : Your response is less than helpful. Basically what you are saying is that you are unwilling to do anything about this.

I have so far tried two PC's and the BT speed test twice at different times of the day. I have changed the ADSL filter, disabled firewalls, anti-virus software and tried plugging the router directly into the master socker all with the same result.

What I am not willing to do is get up in the middle of the night to attempt to problem solve issues with your service.

Please progress this problem.

Thank you

Steve Amos
2005-08-22
16:03:17

We need the results after 12AM and between 7AM, this is a REQUIREMENT from BT and with them tests between those hours we cannot take this any further. You stated you have not tried another router this is something i would suggest you try.

Regards,
36 REPLIES
N/A

wow!

what a bunch of **** from Customer Support.

Why did you remove the CS Staff name... i say name and shame.

The last response i had to one of my tickets, was also just as unhelpful, and made me so angry that i wanted to show that member of CS a close-up view of the fat side of my right fist! Evil makes me mad!
LiamM
Grafter

It is against Forum Rules to copy and paste the names of support agents on the boards.
N/A

i had the same prob with cs all they wanted to do was blame me even though i did the bt speed test quite a few times even between 12-7 they still never helped just returned my ticket asking if i had done the 6 checks which i had already stated that i had done twice before so i just told them to forget it i the end and i will move soon
N/A

I fail to see how it's the customer's responsibility to go through all of this speed-testing stuff. If you own a car that's under warranty and you tell the dealer that the brakes aren't working properly, you're not expected to get under the car and disconnect/reconnect everything, roll it down a hill and test how long it takes the car to stop, etc.
Ben_Brown
Grafter

ADSL is a self install service and can't be compared to a product such as a car.

Whilst it is frustrating for customers to perform the required diagnostics it is absolutely necessary. For BT to fix the problems we raise to them they need as much information they can get about the problem. Most of this information can only be provided by the customer such as speed tests, which cannot be performed remotely.

At present because of the volume of faults in BT's systems they will not look at a speed fault unless it is below a set level between the hours of midnight and 7am. We know that this can be inconvenient however we cannot raise a speed test to BT without this, they would simply close the case back to us.
N/A

BT REQUIRE you to get up in the middle of the night before they will help you?

PN if this is true you need to have words with BT....although i feel it isn't and it's just CS's attempt to fob the problem off...either way it is clearly unacceptable to get a customer to wake up in the middle of the night.
LiamM
Grafter

I have a friend on AOL who was having speed problems. How come she didn't have to do the speed test?

Neither did a friend of mine on Eclipse. Having similar issues.

Both required investigation and an engineer visit from BT. But neither were asked to carry out the BT Speedtester.
Ben_Brown
Grafter

Yes, BT require this to rule out contention problems at the exchange. This is the same for all IPStream ISPs, and is not a "fob off".
N/A

You need to change it then as no where does it state when you sign up "if you have speed issues we will not help you unless you wake up in the middle of a night to do a speed test".

That is clearly not acceptable to ask of a customer, especially as they never agreed to do so in the first place.

An absolutely terrible attitude to have yet again PN.
N/A

agreed! and a complete and utter disrespect.
LiamM
Grafter

Yes, BT require this to rule out contention problems at the exchange. This is the same for all IPStream ISPs, and is not a "fob off".

But surely BT would know if there were contention issues at the exchange? Therefore, a speedtest isn't necessary to prove this to BT.
Ben_Brown
Grafter

Well, contention problems may have not been the best phrase. If we raise a speed issue to BT with speed tests doen during the day, they will return it to us and say that it is a contended product and the speed is within the limits for the account type.

If we have results from times when the exchange isn't busy and they are very low then BT will look into the problem fully instead of bouncing it back to us.
N/A

so basically the midnight wake up scenario, is because PlusNET, can't think of another solution!

i think PlusNET need to stand up to "up their own arses" BTw. Otherwise soon enough if not already, PlusNET will too be so far up their own arses, they will need an enema to flush out all the link:Censored

[Moderator's note by Liam Martin (martinfamily): Attempt to bypass the swear filter removed.]
Ben_Brown
Grafter

We have been advised to test out of hours by BT, this is not our own invention. We know this is inconvenient, unfortunately until BT get on top of all the outstanding faults there is no other way this can be done.

This is the same for all IPStream ISP's, and not just a Plusnet issue.