cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Unable to browse webpages in IE or Firefox

N/A

Got home last night after college and couldn't browse any webpages that I usually frequent. Couldn't even get a page of www.google.co.uk to load. Tried a ping to the same address and got perfectly good response times. Tried to reboot my DG834G router and that didnt help with the problem. Tracert to www.bbc.co.uk worked perfectly. I then tried several bookmarked pages and managed to load one or two pages even with a F5 refresh to load pages again. So I thought it can't be my connection to the internet thats the problem because I can retreive emails and connect to ftp sites.

So what the hell is the problem. I have raised this issue with a ticket but just wondered if anyone else had a similar problem.
16 REPLIES
Community Veteran

Have you tried reinstalling IE and FF? Or tried a different broswer like Foxie or Opera or even tried using windows explorer to load a page. It seems very odd that both stopped working at the same time, might suggest you have some sort of spyware or virus on your computer. Personally I would run a few scans!

Do you get any error messages when you try and load a page or is it just blank?
N/A

nope it's just blank, dont even get the little bar to say its loading.

I forgot to mention this also happens on my fathers laptop which is connected via wireless link.

Its just weird that some websites work and most of them dont and why I can ping any website and get perfect results.

I cant test anymore as im at work now. have to wait til lunchtime.
N/A

You've got a router, so check to see what settings have changed in the configuration ...and try resetting your router to factory settings and reconfiguring it from scratch. You haven't got a BT Voyager 2100 have you?

May also be a DNS issue, someone else has been having problems that may be DNS related. Try some of the advice in the "middlesexccc" thread.

Finally, check to see what cookie settings are like. Some websites just won't display without cookies. Ping will work of course.
N/A

No I have a Netgear DG834G router. Nothing has changed in its configuration. It's using the 212.159.13.49, 212.159.13.50 DNS settings so there shouldn't be an issue.

I'll check that other thread out. Like I said before though, I can't do much else now until I go home for lunch to check it out.
N/A

The other one when you have time is to check what firmware you're running and check the MTU setting. See this on the Netgear support forum.
N/A

Cheers mate

will have a look through that and then check the settings on the router Cheesy
N/A

I have lived with problems like this with Plusnet since joining. Hope you sort it out!
Alecto
Grafter

My cat won't eat his tea. What are Plusnet going to do about it? I am paying £21.99 for a rubbish service where they don't even control your cats.
And don't try blaming BT cos my cats never use the telephone. :lol:
___oDiN__
Grafter

its your fault for not training your cats to use the telephone.

what kind of sicko are you to deprive them of a simple item, you could have least let them use it at evenings and weekends

off to phone the rspca

:lol: :lol: :lol:
Alecto
Grafter

Well odin, defending Plusnet eh?
All kinds who haven't actually bothered reading the thread will now call you a Plusnet fanboy. :lol:
___oDiN__
Grafter

do i get my own webpage and ladies throwing underwear at me now?
Alecto
Grafter

Simon Hughes? Tongue
N/A

Hey, lay off Simon Hughes! He is a great bloke. What is worse, what he did or what Tony Blair did a few years ago?
Ben_Brown
Grafter

Back to the original topic, these problems may be caused by this.