cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Unable to access my server from out side.

N/A

Hi all,
I have a m/c which I have assigned a static ip address. But even after that when I try to ping that m/c from out side , it shows request timed out. I tried a tracert and found that Ip packets are being lost after 212.159.4.9(ge0-0-0-22.pte-gw1.plus.net).

Once I get the static ip address, what do I need to do so that my m/c is accessible from out side.

I called up the helpdesk and they told me to post the question here.

I would appreciate if some one could please tell me what to do.

Thanks
Michael Robinson
6 REPLIES
N/A

Hi Michael,

Welcome to the forums.

m/c? Not sure what you mean with that one.

Perhaps you could give us a bit more info on your setup. You state you have assigned a static ip to your server. Is this a wan IP or lan IP?
How does the server connect to the internet? Is it via a router or modem. Is the router being assigned an IP by the ISP?

Can the server connect to the internet? Are you running any hardware / software firewalls?

What o/s is the Server / client running?

Need a bit more to go on with this one.
JonathanW
Grafter

Hi,

From the results you are reporting, it would appear that your router isn't responding to icmp echo requests, which is what's causing the trace/ping to time out where it does.

Have you tried telneting into your server, from a remote location, on the relevant port?
Community Veteran

m/c? Not sure what you mean with that one.

Machine i.e. PC

@tinnieman

I am assuming you are using a router. If so, you need to setup port forwarding on it so the router knows where to direct connections on those ports to. For instance, if you intend to runa web server on your PC you need to forward port 80 (HTTP) to your static IP in youir router. For FTP ports 20 & 21 need to be forwarded.

Also you may need to setup any software firewall running on the PC to allow incoming connections through to your applications.

What ADSL equipment are you using?

Also many routers ignore ICMP/Ping/Tracert packets by default. hence why you get no further than the PN router, the next hop is your equipment which is ignoring the pings.
N/A

Hi all, thanks for the replies.

I should have given more info with the mail. So here it is.

I have a network of 5 computers and a router. Now all the computers are clients and access the internet via the router.

I have taken a pack of 8 static ip addresses from the isp and added one to the router and provided it with the rest so that it can provide them to the computers using dhcp service. Now that part is done and it seems to be ok as when i do ipconfig on the computers it shows me the static ips. Also internet access to websites are working.

What I require to do is deploy a website for the outer world to see on one of these computers. I have a webserver installed on one of them(iis on windows xp pro)

But when I try to ping these static ip addresses, they show me request timed out. Also, tracert shows me Ip packets are being lost after 212.159.4.9(ge0-0-0-22.pte-gw1.plus.net).

At the router I have opened port 80 and port 23 to one of the computers.

I tried telnet as well and it gives the error that could not open connection to the host.

I can't think of anything else to do.
I really appreciate the help.

Thanks

Michael Robinson
___oDiN__
Grafter

do you have firewalls/xp firewall running on the pcs?
if so try disabling it temp and trying
Community Veteran

You did not say what router you are using. Also what IP address from the range are you using (the 1st & 2nd are for the network and router so it needs to be the 3rd ->7th IP as the 8th is also reserved for the broadcast address).

Note: many 'home' based routers cannot work in NAT and no-NAT mode when a block of IPs are used - i.e. you cannot pass through IPs from the PlusNet side as well as use DHCP to assign IPs to your local network.

You have to disable NAT on the router and assign static IPs to all your local PC. The static IPs can still be in the 192.168.x.x range for the other 4 PCs and server can be from the IP block you have been given, but all need to be setup to use your routers local IP as the gateway address and they must all have the DNS settings set to PlusNets DNS IPs due to nt being given by DHCP.