cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Unable To Join Usergroup

KevinHyland
Grafter

Unable To Join Usergroup

I have just tried to join the plusnet usergroup, specifically to see their information on the current, ongoing e-mail problems.

I have been greeted by a message informing me that I can only join if I am currently connecting via a plusnet internet service.

As I am at work, this is not currently possible. I am, of course, a plusnet customer, as any cursory check on my account details would prove.

Why can't I join up from any connection using my plusnet account details?

And before anyone says anything, yes I know I can join up from my home connection tonight, but why should I have to wait...?Huh
6 REPLIES
N/A

Unable To Join Usergroup

Hi there.

I am sorry this is causing difficulty for you, however membership of the UserGroup is restricted to Plusnet PLC customers. The only way we in PUG can verify that a person is a customer is by checking the IP address from which they register.

We, in PUG have no access to your account details to provide verification in any other way.

Therefore initial registration can only be done from a PN IP address. Once registered, you can access PUG from any connection.
N/A

Re: Unable To Join Usergroup

but why should I have to wait...?Huh

You have to wait for the water to come through the tap. Be patient and join tonight.
KevinHyland
Grafter

Unable To Join Usergroup

Hi there.

I am sorry this is causing difficulty for you, however membership of the UserGroup is restricted to Plusnet PLC customers. The only way we in PUG can verify that a person is a customer is by checking the IP address from which they register.

We, in PUG have no access to your account details to provide verification in any other way.

Therefore initial registration can only be done from a PN IP address. Once registered, you can access PUG from any connection.

Thanks for the explanation. I still think there ought to be be a way for you to check our details other than just through the IP address.

Surely a secure verification system could be set up for plusnet customers to input their account username, password etc.

Sorry for the whinge, but I hate being told I can't do something when there is no obvious reason why not...
KevinHyland
Grafter

Re: Unable To Join Usergroup

but why should I have to wait...?Huh

You have to wait for the water to come through the tap. Be patient and join tonight.

Normally I don't respond to sarcasm, but to answer your point, no I don't have to wait for water. I turn on the tap and there it is...

(Although being a Thames Water customer I'm not sure for how much longer Wink)
N/A

Unable To Join Usergroup

Hi Kevin,

As fellow customers, there would be all sorts of difficulties if we had access to any of your account details, especially passwords.

The amount of integration which would be required to automate the verification process with PlusNets systems would be a nightmare and could also cause Data Protection difficulties.

We would love to make the process simpler, but the practicalities dictate otherwise.

I look forward to seeing you on the PUG site.
KevinHyland
Grafter

Unable To Join Usergroup

Ok, fair enough - see you later then Wink

Moderators note by John (johnessex) Full quote of preceding post removed as per the Link:rules