cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

USENET revisited

Fixes: 115

USENET revisited

For some reason USENET is, again, problematic and very slow.

Speed tests show I am getting in the region of 5700Mbps and other web downloads are extremely fast >450Kbs.

What could be happening with USENET (Giganews - no settings changed recently). I first noticed this last night around 1am and decided it could just be a blip. Obviously it isn't Sad

P2, 4 days into billing period, never gone over my allowance.

Any help, please

Edited to indicate that USENET speeds are around 2 to 2.5 KBps

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

12 REPLIES
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 62

USENET revisited

Hi there,

What Gateway are you on?

I've just tried mine and I'm getting 80-200kbps to Astrweb. It's a lot lower than I'd expect and just doesn't seem to tie in with the graphing..?

This concerns me a little too although there are more users on this gateway who are likely to be the less transient ones following the gateway drop at the weekend.

I'm going to do some digging to see if we can find anything untoward.

Kind Rgds,

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Products Team
If I've been helpful then please give thanks ⤵

USENET revisited

Thanks for the quick response.

A quick check:

You are currently connected to the "Telehouse East, Juniper 4" gateway. This gateway is sometimes known as pte-ag2.

Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain

USENET revisited

Hi Bob (or anyone else if he has gone home Smiley )

What is the latest on the USENET issue?

Currently I am getting around 27.5KBps. This still seems low but, then again, it is peak-time (21:49) now when I just checked for speed.

I will, of course, check again later this evening and ater midnight to see what I am getting.

Plusnet Staff
Plusnet Staff
Fixes: 1

USENET revisited

I wouldn't count 6-10pm. There's a rate limit in place on usenet during these hours so it would be difficult to come to any conclusions based on speeds between these times. After 10pm though could be a different factor...

USENET revisited

At just after 2300 I reached USENET speeds of a little over 80KBps.

At around 00:12 this speed dropped back down to <50KBps.

What is causing these poor speeds. Is it something only I am experiencing or is it across the board?

Sandro
Grafter

USENET revisited

colhindene, no, you are not alone. I am on 1st level management (just over 13 Gb of peak time) and would have thought the management finishes at midnight. It doesn't. It is 1.30 in the night and it is still the same 28.1 KBps. This behaviour started since I was put on the management (coincidence ?) It does look like it goes to normal speed somewhere in the morning since I manage to download the files I need, but goes back again to 28.1 KBps after 9 o'clock in the morning. I seriously doubt it is a congestion problem.

USENET revisited

russica,

The issue of when Level restrictions start and end is rather contentious as PN state that it can be some time before it is lifted after midnight and that it is balanced by the fact it can start much after the start of your peak-time. I have personally known it to start some 45 minutes after peak-time.

I don't agree with the reasoning behind this but gave up arguing about it some time ago Wink

Even so, 90 minutes seems rather excessive to me.

As I am not, currently, on any restrictions I fail to understand what the problems are.

Bob did show some pretty (but meaningless to me) graphs earlier and promised to look into it and I also reported which gateway I am on but no response as yet.

I know PN is very busy with the new product roll-out but us legacy users still need attention Smiley

I did ask in the Introducing Broadband Your Way thread whether legacy users will still get an excellent level of service and not side-stepped for the new products but there hasn't been an answer as yet - unless I have missed it.

Sandro
Grafter

USENET revisited

colhindene, I just wanted to point out the fact that there are certain problems irrespective of being restricted or not. My speed gone up somewhere after 3 in the morning.
Could you be mistakenly put on some kind of restricted management? Just a thought.. Smiley

USENET revisited

Russica,

Strange you should say that...

It is exactly what happened back in January. But, at that time, restrictions were wrongly put on all internet activity 24/7. There was a long thread about it and it was resolved when I got a CS manager to intervene.

I am still waiting Bob (or someone) to get back on what the issue(s) could be.

I have just done a check and USENET is crawling down at around 10KBps whereas HTTP downloads whizz there way to me at around 670KBps.

I don't use USENET too often these days but a useable service would be preferred.

USENET revisited

It's now 15:18 and my Giganews speed has increased to around the 430KBps range. Wooow - never seen it so high Shocked Smiley

While I am pleased with this I would still like an explanation as to why, throughout any parts of the day, my USENET download speeds can fluctuate so wildly.

Mand
Grafter

USENET revisited

Hi,

I spent about 2 hours yesterday troubleshooting this as Bob was noticing some strangeness too.

A large factor is the holidays and more people using the interactive stuff. We have seen an increase in Gold traffic over the last couple of weeks, as well as an increase in the number of people using p2p/usenet during the day but it should not cause the overall impact that it clearly has.

We will be continuing this investigation on Monday, as some people are getting line speed during the day, whilst others get very little on these protocols. Do you see a difference in Usenet performance if you open more threads?
10crawford
Grafter

USENET revisited

Just did some test Usenet downloads. Speeds are between 80-90% lower than max. Why does packet loss graph for premier not indicate between 80-90% of non interactive packets being lost at the moment?

Is there any action at plusnet towers on this problem?