cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

USENET not too good

N/A

USENET not too good

Is there any likelyhood that PlusNEt will be introducing a decent NNTP server?

The current newsgroups are extreamly limited to say the least, with just a handful of groups. Demon has a great news server with over 38000 groups in contrast (news.demo.co.uk, although you'll only be able to conect via a Demon line). It's free and they allow the binary news groups.
5 REPLIES
N/A

RE: USENET not too good

> Demon has a great news server with over 38000 groups

Using usenet.plus.net I get 57,653 groups - I didn't think that was very good but it's surely better than 38,000?

Tim
N/A

> Is there any likelyhood that PlusNEt will be introducing a decent NNTP server?
>
> The current newsgroups are extreamly limited to say the least, with just a handful of groups. Demon has a great news server with over 38000 groups in contrast (news.demo.co.uk, although you'll only be able to conect via a Demon line). It's free and they allow the binary news groups.

Hi there,

Our server does carry several thousand groups, are you definitely pointing your news client to usenet.plus.net?

Kind Regards,
Rob
--
| Robert Kelly Unmetered & ADSL solutions
| Technical Support for Home & Business
| PlusNet Technologies Ltd. @ http://www.plus.net
+ ----- My Referrals - It pays to recommend PlusNet -----

N/A

> Using usenet.plus.net I get 57,653 groups

Really?? I only see about 20 or 30 advertised on the Usenet pages.... I'll have a look with Agent a bit later. Do they support the alt.bineries groups here?
N/A

>
> > Using usenet.plus.net I get 57,653 groups
>
>
> Really?? I only see about 20 or 30 advertised on the Usenet pages.... I'll have a look with Agent a bit later. Do they support the alt.bineries groups here?
>

Hi,

You may want to reset your news client and download the all the latest groups.

We provide uncensored newsfeed and all the major text and binary groups thate are accessible with all our peers.

Best Regards,

Dave Watson.

--
| David Watson. Unmetered & ADSL solutions
| Technical Support. for Home & Business
| PlusNet Technologies Ltd. @ http://www.plus.net
+ ----- My Referrals - It pays to recommend PlusNet ----- +
N/A

OK, I've had another look at the newsgroups. There are indeed about 60,000 so I accept that.

However, of these the binary groups approximately 95% incomplete. Take a look... Almost every binary file posted is incomplete. That really is rubbish.

It doens' matter who PlusNet peer with, it should be better than that.

What else are newsgroups for apart form downloading binary filesHuh :-)