cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

USENET and P2P Still painfully slow

N/A

Even though its my payment day today and therefore any throttling should have been reset, I am still getting painfully slow speeds on Usenet and P2P. I have given up with any P2P until tonight as I was lucky to be reaching 2KB/s download speed. All I want to do now is to browse some newsgroups but even that is painfully slow.

Also my monthly usage graph (which runs from today) is showing as having 36.87Gb for this month, whereas in the breakdown by day it only shows 1.94Gb for today, so something is obviously wrong there.
6 REPLIES
N/A

Ditto for me and a bump.

Mark
N/A

I'm getting less than 1KB/s on FTP and P2P today Sad
N/A

I'm getting less than 1KB/s on FTP and P2P today Sad

Me too. I've been trying to download a file of about 30-40Kb as I need to do some code editing before work tomorrow.
I've spent an hour trying to download it but it consistently fails claiming connection timeouts.

This is dire.
N/A

Is there anywhere on Plusnets convoluted site that says what P2P and Usenet throttling levels are?

I have gone over my 20gb allowance (or whatever it may be today ) and am achieving speeds of less than 5Kbps (yep Kbps NOT KBps) on usenet,after midnight it returns to normal but does seem to jump around a bit (building up to full speed between 12.00 and 1.00)

The point is that at these speeds my connection times-out before anything can be downloaded so my usenet access has effectively been stopped completely.

This has happened every day now since I went over my limit so it's not a glitch,I assume from this that although the terms throttling and shaping are used, it actually means a download cap of 20gb and that's it!

This total reducttion in download speeds from usenet appears only to have started this year,before the holidays my speed was reduced to appr 30% of normal and now it seems to be 0.5%.Happy New Year!!

Rob.
N/A

Add me to the disgruntled list.

It would seem that I've gone over my peak 20gb limit aswell. Even though I managed to stay 400mb under the cap, according to Plusnets usage meter.

Funny thing is the peak usage stated isn't the peak usage!! Hang on Im not laughing!! I'm left with my usenet and p2p traffic being reprioritised, ie completely ignored!! 2KBps for usenet and p2p is a silver service?? Plusnet really, what is going on here?

Now to see how long it takes for my service to be usable, seeing that it was throttled near instantly.

rpunshon: after some digging http://portal.plus.net/central/forums/viewtopic.php?t=36802 has all the caps
dancecrave
Grafter

I am sure it is a config issue.

We just need PN to own up to it.

It seems to be affecting all users with the same horribly low bandwidth, bearing no relation to that in the visions 2006 doc.

I don't know what shaping technology they are using but it's probably a simple script error adding a policy or dynamic partition with a size of a order of magnitude too small on a global scale. Or maybe traffic from "bad" users are all routed through an overloaded box which just can't shape for the demand.

Unbelievable how this can happen at such a scale, it's almost as if there was no testing phase to that project! Surely they can see a pattern forming ... now .... :?:

Come on Plusnet!!

Al