cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

USENET after midnight

N/A

USENET after midnight

Just to mention a small point - apologies if it's already been mentioned or I am an isolated case.

It is 12:20 and my downloads are still limited to 30k/s.

As if the restrictions weren't enough - but clearly you haven't even implemented them properly!
12 REPLIES
N/A

USENET after midnight

Limit finally removed at 12:24 by my clock - nearly half an hour late.

Nice job plusnet.
N/A

USENET after midnight

Seems to change at about 00:21

regards

Stuart
N/A

What has happened to the speed? :o

Wednesday 30 November 2005, 01:25 AM UK,

Just updated a few headers and I noticed speeds are back to a reasonable speed. Can somone tell me what is happening?

I thought the cap started again at the beginning of the month :roll:
N/A

USENET after midnight

My understanding from reading the forum is that since the weekend PN have made an initial compromise to unthrottle NNTP between 00:00 and 08:00 each day (roughly) - though currently downloads still count towards the 15Gig. It is put on the lowest priority, but is unthrottled, so usually you will get 'full' speed - through PN anyhow (there are other pinch points - the exchange, your newsserver etc...)

regards

Stuart
N/A

RE: 15GB Cap Still counting

Thanks Stuart,

I'll leave the rest of my header updates till this matter is cleared up. :?
N/A

USENET after midnight

To put this in perspective I had a usenet download which I was running this morning. When I left for work at about 8:10 it was still running at about the maximum of my line speed (118KB\s). So, although it isn't kicking in until 0:20 it also runs until 08:20. The timings are obviously a little off on the setting somewhere. I think the compromise is more than fair tbh. The only people who are going to have there usenet experience seriously compromised are those who want to download very large amounts of data or people who cant leave their computer on overnight (i.e noisy and in the bedroom).
N/A

USENET after midnight

[...snip...] although it isn't kicking in until 0:20 it also runs until 08:20. The timings are obviously a little off on the setting somewhere.

Sounds like the server at my work which is 8 or 9 mins out (and drifting) - oh, and all the client machines are set to synchronise with it Sad But at least it is fast - so it's setup for an early finish Cheesy

Stuart
N/A

USENET after midnight

I have just come home to a usenet download steaming down the lines at 110KB\s. I thought the 30KB\s after 15gb was strictly set. I went down to this in the early part of the day, looking at the times between my .rar files, but since 2pm it has been flying up to normal speeds. Has something changed?? :?

I hope my 15gb hasn't been reset early!

Anyone else getting this?
N/A

USENET after midnight

I hope my 15gb hasn't been reset early!

why?, if it's been reset early you can download at full speed again.
N/A

USENET after midnight

Because I haven't reset the counter on my client and it means I wont be able to properly monitor decembers traffic Tongue
Plusnet Staff
Plusnet Staff
Fixes: 1

USENET after midnight

Hi,

The 15GB will reset tonight for everyone. Usenet traffic between midnight and 8am is now in the bronze queue without the rate limit, although it's still possible that speeds certainly around midnight may see a decrease in speed depending on how busy the network is.
N/A

USENET after midnight

I have just come home to a usenet download steaming down the lines at 110KB\s. I thought the 30KB\s after 15gb was strictly set. [...8<...] Has something changed?Huh

A couple of times this month I have got 180+kB/s on my 2MB line during non-'off-peak -for-nntp' times (got to be easier to say between 8am & midnight Wink ), but I think it is just a [welcome] glitch that occurs. Obviously I am talking about after my 15G allowance had been used up ...

regards

Stuart