cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

USENET Revisited

Fixes: 115

USENET Revisited

My access to USENET is almost non-existent (Premiere 2)24/7.

No management (less that 4GB peak in 8 days) or other restrictions in place apparently.

I have raised a ticket with CS regarding this and they say their Network Team is aware of a problem.

But why should HTTP access to Giganews also be throttled, restricted or just slow? This seems more than a coincidence which I have noted to CS. I have not come across any other sites over the last few days that have the same slowness in loading pages as Giganews.

I am getting concerned as I am paying for access to USENET yet cannot take advantage of this.

COuld someone from PN explain in clear detail what exactly the problems with USENET are at present and when will they be resolved.

Regards

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

25 REPLIES
Mand
Grafter

USENET Revisited

Hi there,

The issue at present is that news access is in Silver for binary. At busy times, when there is a lot of Gold traffic Silver traffic will suffer.

The http access to newsgroups is treated in the same way as any other news access, as it is the same protocol to all intents and purposes, and so is in Silver also. This explains why you get the same performance.

Off peak should see decent speeds, I don't use binary myself so can't test it now, but Dave and Bob both do regularly and say that off peak speeds have remained good.

Ultimately this will improve when the current Plus issues are sorted, or when the new pipe comes online whichever happens first.

USENET Revisited

Off peak should see decent speeds, I don't use binary myself so can't test it now, but Dave and Bob both do regularly and say that off peak speeds have remained good.

That's great for Dave & Bob but my first line does state that my USENET is unusable 24 hours a day and has been for some days, now.

The http access to newsgroups is treated in the same way as any other news access, as it is the same protocol to all intents and purposes, and so is in Silver also. This explains why you get the same performance.

I don't use HTTP to access any of the newsgroups but simply accessing my account details with them is a chore and an unpleasant & frustrating experience at present. This should not be the case - should it?

I have tried at all times of the night & day with the same results. This is a problem that should be sorted very quickly as, to all intents and purposes, I am paying twice for a service I cannot access.

Regards

Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain

Mand
Grafter

USENET Revisited

Hi there,

If you're getting slow speeds all the time raise a ticket and we'll get networks to take a look for you because that shouldn't be the case.

USENET Revisited

Hi Mand

A ticket (2130910Cool is open and, apparently, the Networks Team is on to it but the contents of the reply (3.42 yesterday morning) didn't give me much hope with no explanation as to what is wrong and where.

Giganews problems have been mentioned before so is this specific to them (what do Dave & Bob use)?

Any help would be appreciated.

Regards

P.S. Instead of slow USENET I am now getting 'Unable to connect to server' errors for Giganews Sad

Mand
Grafter

USENET Revisited

Hi there,

I've raised the issue again to networks, to clarify whether it is Giganews specific, or a general problem with USENET services.

As soon as I find anything out I'll let you know. I've taken control of your ticket until this point.

USENET Revisited

Thanks.

I appreciate the personal touch Smiley

Regards

Mand
Grafter

USENET Revisited

No problem. Smiley

It's likely to be Monday before I get a comprehensive answer for you though, please bear this in mind.

USENET Revisited

I have seen your reply to my ticket, Mand. Thanks

paulgul
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

USENET Revisited

I think you mis-understand - the Giganews web site does not give access to news groups it is used for account admin in the same way the Plusnet web site is used. I don't understand why you treat it differently to any other site

Paul

USENET Revisited

@paulgulliver

I forgot to mention that myself earlier.

So, how does this equate with traffic management for USENET?

If it was managed by data type then Giganews website would be as any other HTTP.

Doesn't the above lead us to believe that the site is being throttled due to IP address or even it's name?

Regards

N/A

USENET Revisited

The problem is that Easynews offer downloads from binary newsgroups via a web front end.
Rather than just restricting Easynews, PlusNet have defined a rule that simply throttles web traffic from ALL usenet providers.

This incorrect rule has been lurking for at least a year as it caught me once when my package was given an incorrect profile. (linky). Not a problem for me now though Wink
Plusnet Staff
Plusnet Staff
Fixes: 1

USENET Revisited

Giganews problems have been mentioned before so is this specific to them (what do Dave & Bob use)?(

Yottanews, I'm cheap and it's free for up to 1GB per month. It only allows 1 thread with a maximum download speed of 16KB/s. I've downloaded a few small files over the last few days and overnight it was doing 14-16KB/s which is about the maximum it'll ever go and in an early afternoon (noon to about 2pm) it was doing about 8-12KB/s.

Looking at the traffic graphs the best speeds on usenet are off peak, been peaking around 520Mbps last couple of days around 6am.
plusnetsux
Grafter

USENET Revisited

taken from forum.easynews.com

Hi,

Just to let everyone know - I have now completed my move from Plus.net over
to vivaciti.

Basically my download speeds off easynews have now went from 7-20Kb/sec
straight up to an average of 250KB/sec - the maximum my line will support.

Literally one hour at 20Kb/sec next hour at 250Kb/sec - only change is the
ISP has changed.

Pretty conclusive evidence of the activities of Plus.net.

I would recommend to any usenet users, particularly of Easynews, to move
away from Plus.net immediately and find themselves an alternate ISP provider
who does not implement a throttling practise as extreme as Plus.net.

Thanks again for all the input from everyone.

best regards
Brendan
Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

USENET Revisited

Pretty meaningless unless he had said what Plusnet account type he was on.
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£13/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)