cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

USENET = Brown, not Bronze Service

N/A

Dropping Usenet to a slower speed during peak seems reasonable, however currently it is totally unworkable.

I cannot even maintain a connection because my NNTP client keeps timing out. When I am lucky enough to remain connected I am acheiving at best between 2 and 3 kbs.

When I signed up in Nov 05 I was content with the 100GB cap on my (cough) Premier account. However about 5 days later PN start shaping all NNTP (even from 3rd party file servers), making it almost impossilbe to use. After taking nearly a day to update headers in one group at 2kbs pretty much all the posts have dropped off their server.

IMHO, PN are shaping the traffic to ensure that their extra services such as VoIP, which bring in additional revenue (i.e. not just the subscription costs), don't suffer.

I just wish PN could have stuck to the 100GB cap on my Premier account and left me to fill up my quota using what ever method I chose.

Sorry for rambling.
10 REPLIES
N/A

usnet/p2p/ftp are all gold for 20gig at line speed
512k for 5gig there after
and 256 k for 25G+
N/A

Thanks for that.

However, my profile has been reset this morning, and still I am experiencing appaling speeds.

256K would still be workable, however at present it is slower than a dial-up connection, with speeds NEVER exceeding 4kbs MAX.
Sproglet
Grafter

Don't believe the hype.

I am yet to see my HTTP and USENET traffic on the same priority (GOLD)

It's being "investigated" at this time but.......
N/A

Profiles take a day or to, to reset m8. Its due to the manual process they currently have to do.

They should return to full speed in a day or 2. (not exactly ideal i know :/)

Its usually BILL + 12hrs + usage reset + 12~24hrs + Shaping profile reset.

I have my gripes about that but apparntly there developing a more automatic route of doing it so hopefully quicker
N/A

Hey, I understand. However it just sounds as though the whole process was not thoroughly thought through.

Its almost as if the PN teamies thought "Hey, look what we can do with this ellacoya box thing! Lets just press some buttons, and slow a lot of real users down - that will make our VoIP really nifty and we'll get extra cash for that!".

PN simply isn't the ISP it used to be. They've grown in both size and in greed. But then again I'm a bit of a binger too. I guess being in the naughty 1% (who like to use the internet to the fullest) means I am not really welcome anymore.
N/A

Profiles take a day or to, to reset m8. Its due to the manual process they currently have to do.

They should return to full speed in a day or 2. (not exactly ideal i know :/)

Well I've waited 6 days now since my banwidth profile was reset, so you might be waiting longer than 2 days.
N/A

i would raise a ticket m8. looks like the script is forgetting to do people. It shouldnt takt that long.
"Hey, look what we can do with this ellacoya box thing! Lets just press some buttons
:lol: , sounds about right :p
N/A

I have raised 3 tickets. No one was able to help me. I have since then recieved my MAC number and will be leaving soon.
Sproglet
Grafter

I have had a ticket open since the 28th.
My "reset" day was the 8th (day after the announcement) so I think that at almost a month they've had time to solve this.
Only reason I'm still here is I have a lot of referral discounts. When they start to leave....... nuff said.
N/A

having exactly the same problem.

profile was reset two days ago, and i'm currently downloading on usenet at 2.5KB/s (yes kilobytes)!

this is just pathetic. my bittorrent speeds are crawling as well.