cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

USB Modems

N/A

USB Modems

hi all

I have heard a rumour going around about USB Modems are Jumpy and not consistant. I have just ordered a USB Modem I am wondering if anyone have had problems with them

from Carl
3 REPLIES
N/A

RE: USB Modems

Hi there Carl,

The only real known issue with USB modems is that they depend entirely on the PC for their power and if the power supply is not upto scratch or you are running a lot of peripherals, you may find that the power to the USB modem is not enough - causing sporadic disconnections.

A way round this can be to use an external (powered) USB hub, though in some cases it can be ebough to use an uprated power supply.

Regards,
Mark.

--
| Mark Hague...................Unmetered & ADSL solutions
| Technical Support.......................for Home & Business
| PlusNet Technologies Ltd..........@ http://www.plus.net
+ ----- My Referrals - It pays to recommend PlusNet ----+
elton
Grafter

> Hi there Carl,
>
> The only real known issue with USB modems is that they depend entirely on the PC for their power and if the power supply is not upto scratch or you are running a lot of peripherals, you may find that the power to the USB modem is not enough - causing sporadic disconnections.
>
> A way round this can be to use an external (powered) USB hub, though in some cases it can be ebough to use an uprated power supply.
>
> Regards,
> Mark.
>
> --
> | Mark Hague...................Unmetered & ADSL solutions
> | Technical Support.......................for Home & Business
> | PlusNet Technologies Ltd..........@ http://www.plus.net
> + ----- My Referrals - It pays to recommend PlusNet ----+
>

I agree, but I'd add that a USB modem uses some of your cpu time. It's only 1-3%, depending upon your cpu, but an ethernet modem uses none. Also, a standalone ethernet modem maintains your adsl connection as long as it's powered up. So as soon as you boot your pc, you have a connection.

I'd recommend you go for an ethernet modem.

--
Skonko!
N/A

I think it was me who said jumpy erratic/non consistant downloads..

Its all about the USB power, most wont have issues, but it is well known PCI ones are slightly faster, especially when playing games online.

But USB modems are luxury and simple to plug in, u proberly wouldnt notice any difference anyhowSmiley

I went PCI, but do regret it, since Im considering a Shuttle SS51G mini PC now, which is limited to 2 PCI slots!