the new 8 Mb speeds ?

Don't want to upgrade it un-necessarily as I don't think my line will sync
anywhere near 8 Mb anyway.

Thanks

Jim
10 REPLIES
N/A

USB Modem and new UberSpeeds

I believe that most USB boxes are capable of the higher speeds, but you're normally much better off with an ethernet modem which doens't have the associated software/driver overheads slowing down your computer and your connection. But that's just my personal view, if you're having no problems with the USB box then there's probably no need to upgrade.
N/A

jimmcginty
Grafter

Cheesy Thanks to one and all

Jim
N/A

If your USB kit works and you don't need a router -stick with it.

If it ain't broke...
N/A

Can't remember where I read it, but a lot of USB modems are USB 1.1, which is 12 Mbps half-duplex, so 6 Mbps each way

So an 8 Mbps downstream service is no good as the modem can only ship data to the computer at 6 Mbps, even though it can receive data from the internet at 8 Mbps

Samir
N/A

probably not an issue as 8mbit will not be seen by most people,
Community Veteran

The Voyager 105 needs a driver patch to support speeds > 2Mbs reliably. See the BT voyager website.

My recomendation is not to use USB modems for speeds > 2Mbs due to 1) the USB 1.1 port that many need not really being able to handle the higher speeds (the 12Mbs USB 1.1 spec is a peak performance, not a sustained one) and 2) the USB drivers will use up additional CPU time and slow yor PC down, especially if the USB modem & PC are old and 3) Some USB modems require additional power from the USB port which some older mobos will have problems with.

For higer speed connections an external router is recomended which connects via a EThernet cable & card as it minimises any USB driver problems and many come with hardware firewalls for added protection.
N/A

So if people have US2.0 there should be no problems? I'm on 1mb (upto 2mb) at the moment so want to take advantage of any upgrade. I couldn't see anything on BT's site about fixes.

I did try a router but got stuck trying to use it with Limewire and all annoyed with all the other usual problems (overheating, disconnects, time outs).
N/A

Plugging a USB 1.1 device into a USB 2.0 port won't make any difference - it will still operate at the slower speed. Perhaps you can find a USB 2.0 ADSL modem, but you'll still have the problem with processor overhead

I take it your modem is connected directly to your PC at the moment

Ideally (from a security point of view) you should be behind a firewall/router device. As you said, some people have problems configuring them for applications like Limewire and BitTorrent. I've always found that searching support sites and Googling usually comes up with the required information

IMHO, using a router gives less problems with disconnections, timeouts etc, as the router (which does the actual connection to the Internet) is a simpler device that your (Windows?) PC, and doesn't have to do anything *but* connect to the Internet. When my ADSL was connected straight to my PC, I was lucky if it stayed on for more than 2 days. Since I started using a router, the connection has usually stayed up for weeks at a time (unless there's been a problem with the line or with the ISP or exchange, in which case there'll be regular disconnections etc whichever way you connect)

If you still don't want to go down the router route, you could get a PCI ADSL modem. I suspect (if you're using a laptop) that you can get a PCMCIA one instead

Samir
N/A

I did try a router but got stuck trying to use it with Limewire and all annoyed with all the other usual problems (overheating, disconnects, time outs).

Certainly not usual problems. The Limewire issue is down to user configuration and the overheat issue is down to a dodgy or cheap router.