cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

USB ADSL modem not Ethernet

N/A

hi, i purchased a Belkin Wireless G router to create a wireless network in my house so i am able to connect another pc in another room through wireless to the internet.

however ive hit a snag, from what i can make out of the instructions, i connect the modem to the router while it is also connected to the phone line, instead of having it conencted to my pc as it was.

the problem being the port i connect the modem to the wireless router with is an Ethernet conection, but the conection i used to connect the modem to my PC is via USB, first of all do plus.net offer an ethernet modem instead of a USB version to make all of this work easily?

if not is it possible to do the following:

connect the adsl modem to the PC like normal through usb, then connect the wireless router to my pc via ethernet network connection in the back, and still be able to share the internet conenction?

its kinda hard to explain, i can if needed draw a diagram of this to make things easier to understand.
22 REPLIES
docrobster
Grafter

Now I'm not much of a techy but I think I know what you're on about as I have a usb modem and managed to use it in a network of sorts

What you have to do is use "internet connection sharing" to share the network. This is part of windows and you enable it through the properties dialogue box for the network. If you google for ics you will find some helpful tutorials on how to set it up.
the problem is you can only share the connection between to computers this way, if you want more than that you need to have a proper ethernet modem.
why not take the belkin back and get one with a built in modem. you might get rid of the usb modem on ebay!
HTH
http://www.annoyances.org/exec/show/ics or http://www.practicallynetworked.com/sharing/xp_ics/ explains it all!
Community Veteran

You should have purchased a router with a build in ADSL modem.

What are the return terms and conditions on your purchase?

Did you take any advice from the supplier?

Chilly
N/A

well i bought it online, the product description now seems to be a bit misleading,

"Belkin 802.11g Wireless Cable/DSL Internet Gateway Router" although you can get the exact same product with a modem in it...

and in the description it talks about how you can easily access the internet with it etc... it was even under the section "Wireless Router/modem" section.

i guess the mistake was at my end for not doing enough research into this, but i dont really want the hassel of sending it back and getting another so close to christmas... i now really just want to get an ethernet adsl modem and get things running. do plus.net offer an ethernet modem?Huh
Community Veteran

The key words are cable and DSL (not ADSL). It is designed for NTL/Telewest cable connections where the cable operator supplies you with a cable modem which you then plug your router into. The cable modem is the equivelent of the ADSL modem that ADSL requires.

As suggested above, if you can, return it, get a refund and by a netgear DG834G wireless router wihj built in ADSL modem, 4 port router and hardware firewall. Amazon I think are doing a good deal on it.

USB modems can only be connected to a PC because it is the software driver that actually does all the work.
N/A

yes i understand now, and feel a bit stupid....

ive sent a returns request, in the mean time ive been looking for suitable replacements. would this be ok?

"NETGEAR DG834G Integrated ADSL Modem 54Mbps 802.11g Wireless Firewall Router" for £64?

also can i use any USB adapters with it, i.e a belkin one?
Community Veteran
Fixes: 54

Deleted - not relevant
Community Veteran

also can i use any USB adapters with it, i.e a belkin one?

If you mean to connect a laptop or remote PC, then yes, most USB based wireless adapters will work with the netgear as it supports all 3 of the current wireless standards: 802.11a/b - 11Mbs and 802.11g 54Mbs. Alternative methods are PCMCIA wireless cards for laptops (which can be expensive) or PCI wireless cards for PCs.
N/A

right im going to send it back and get the one you recommended but before doing so can you clarify that this :[

http://catalog.belkin.com/IWCatProductPage.process?Merchant_Id=&Section_Id=201522&pcount=&Product_Id...

is no good for using plus.net adsl?
Community Veteran

It is no good for any ADSL ISP.
N/A

thanks for the help guys
shellsong
Grafter

http://catalog.belkin.com/IWCatProductPage.process?Merchant_Id=&Section_Id=201522&pcount=&Product_Id...

There is no ADSL modem built into this router.
This can only be connected to the internet if you have an ADSL modem with a network socket (not USB) I am afraid
shellsong
Grafter

You could use it with your present setup if you can make an ethernet connection between it and the PC you are on line with
(Personally I don't like USB modems-- I'd rather have a self contained device with a hardware firewall)
N/A

well im a bit lost with the difference of opinions....
shellsong
Grafter

I'm afraid there are several possibilities but if you find these things a bit daunting you would probably be best off with an all in one solution like the Netgear one suggested
What sort of distance are you hoping to use the wireless link over, by the way?