cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

URGENT: DNS changes never reach DNS servers!!

N/A

I changed the MX records for my domain almost a week ago, and the PN DNS servers are still returning the old values. It's taking longer for my changes to get from PlusNets own servers, to their DNS servers than it will take for the domain to propagate to the rest of the world!

(the domain in question is tuppeny.com)

:-((((
18 REPLIES
N/A

Seems to be getting there slowly:
212.159.13.50: OK
212.159.13.49: NOK
212.159.6.9: NOK
212.159.6.10: OK
212.159.13.150: OK
212.159.11.150: OK

ns1.force9.net: OK
ns2.force9.net: OK
N/A

All those IPs give the same result to me - the wrong one. I'm pointing the MX record away from plusnet (to test MS's new live mail stuff). It should return a single mx record pointing to a hotmail domain

Sad

My ticket has been amended with the comment "Can we please investigate this for the customer.", so hopefully I'll find out what's happening soon Smiley
N/A

Oops - sorry,
I thought from your original post that the authoritative servers (ns1/2.force9.net) were correct.
For some unknown reason I was getting a different response to ALL from 49 and 9 - but when I checked just MX, they are all the same.
From experience, DNS changes do sometimes get stuck.

By the way, I thought it was not possible just to have a single MX and you always get mxlast (or something like that) - perhaps they have changed things since I last checked (a long time ago Wink ).

Hope things get resolved reasonably quickly Smiley
N/A

I'm not sure about mxlast - I saw that when I had the domain set to use SMTP, but just hoped it'd never be used, because I don't know what it does with email! :-O

Now I've moved it, I just want one MX record (if the hotmail server is down, I'd like the email to bounce, but one has to hope hotmail isn't flakey). If PlusNet can't handle that, I'll move everything back to ZoneEdit and Rollernet! :-(
N/A

I don't accurately know what it does, but when I sent a self addressed email to it it just popped it straight back to me, so my guess is (with the normal autoturn setup):
try connecting to mainIP (your server), if no connection:
try autoturn, if no connection:
try mxlast.

Then mxlast queues the email until it manages to get a connection to one of the above. My memory is not that good, but I feel sure it was possible to get PN to take autoturn out of the equation. If so, then I would guess mxlast won't do any harm, just queue your email - but you have no means of prodding it, it will just try periodically to connect to your designated IP, and eventually bounce it if it can't connect (like a normal mailserver).

Just my guess based on very little information, though.
N/A

Yep, I found elsewhere that it's just the same as autoturn without the ability to finger (why, I don't know!).

If I'm pointing my MX record elsewhere, I certainly don't want either autoturn or mx.last on my records. I'll see what happens when this issue gets fixed, and if it's still there, I'll raise a ticket.

I think I might have an idea why my DNs hasn't updated... I raised a ticket asking PlusNet to set up their DNS and email servers so I could transfer my domains. They told me I must transfer them first (which I refused, because then my domains would move to servers that aren't expecting them, and mail would bounce or be dropped). Someone technical picked it up and added the zone files (and mail server config). This could possibly have been done in a way that is stopping the control panel from overwriting it. I've updated the ticket to mention this :-)
N/A

This is getting stupid. It's been 4 days, and it seems nobody's even looking into it. I *NEED* my domain to propagate so I can use my email.

I've been with PlusNet over 2 years, and transferred my phone to them at the earliest opporunity. I'm on a preimier broadband package, so in total I'm paying them around £35/month. And they can't do something as simple as get their control panel to change my zone files.

I'm seriously considering looking for another ISP. I've not had customer service this slow since NTL, and even they sorted the simple things quickly :-(
N/A

I'm not sure why nobody from PN is picking up on this thread Sad

So, for this domain you have set the mail settings to 'other', and then added your MX entry under 'additional DNS records'? And all that still looks correct does it?
NigelWood
Grafter

Re: Domain DNS changes not getting to PN DNS servers?

I changed the MX records for my domain two days ago, and the PN DNS servers are still returning the old values.

Hi Danny

I've just spoke to a network engineer who got called out to check something else. He's corrected your settings and forced a reload. It should be sorted within six hours.
N/A

Thanks (again!) Nigel. Sorry for sounding annoyed, it's just really frustrating being held up by something out of my control (especially when it's relatively simple, and I've provided all the information needed!). It's a shame things get sorted quicker by posting in the forum than the tickets. They seem to get reassigned to people, and then ignored for days Sad

I'll check things tomorrow morning to check everything's ok, and close the ticket if it's sorted Smiley
N/A

Things still appear to be wrong Sad

If I query ns1.plus.net for the MX records for tuppeny.com, it still returns mail.tuppeny.com, and no sign of the hotmail address Sad
N/A

Bump.

Do any PlsuNet staff work weekends? I'm not asking for much, I just want the domain control panel to actually work! :-(
N/A

Bump.

Still nothing. It's getting close to a week since I changed my DNS, and they've not even made it as far as PlusNet's own DNS servers. I'm starting to get really cheesed off.

I opened a ticket about this which hasn't been responded to for 6 days. In the past few weeks I've had another two tickets open (one being a broadband fault raised by their own self-test tool) which have had the same lack of communication.

It's a shame that an ISP that came with such high recommendation from several friends (and that has been really good over the last two years) can go down the pan so quickly. I really don't want to change ISP, but if they don't start responding to tickets and fixing issues, I don't think I have a choice.
N/A

Hope things get resolved reasonably quickly Smiley

Cry