cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

U-torrent affecting speeds?

N/A

Hi, i use u-torrent on a regular basis and have had no problems. However tonight my internet connection pretty much died. I noticed that when i closed U-torrent everything was fine, opened it back up and net died again. has anyone elese had any problems similar to this?
14 REPLIES
mlavende
Rising Star
Fixes: 2

Re: U-torrent affecting speeds?

Yes, I use Azureus as my client and have noticed this in the last few weeks, especially if it's torrents with a lot of seeds and hence fast downloads. PN investigated earlier this week for me and acknowledged the disconnects. Miraculously I then had 2 uninterrupted nights but the problems returned last night.

-Mat

[Moderator's note by Jonathan (Chillypenguin): Full quote of previous post removed.]
craiglay
Grafter

How is your U-torrent setup?

-Have you got an upload limit? I'm on MAX, its set to 30K/s Any more and I can't browse with speed
-Running XP Service pack 2? Limits new connections, Hackable. Will affect you if there are many seeds/leachers.

What is your net setup?
Modem or router?
Router stats? Sync, SNR Margin, approx line length
Net Died? Requires a reboot, or just comes back on with no action?

Craig
N/A

hi, the most i generally download at is about 100- 200kb a sec and about the same uploading. This has never had any affect on my connection before, as i'm on roughly a 5mb connection. However the past week or so when U-torrent is running i'm connecting bellow 500 kb, and as soon as i turn it off connections back to 5mb. Sorry if i've repeated anything, not long woken up lol Cheesy
Ianwild
Grafter

Re: U-torrent affecting speeds?

Hi, i use u-torrent on a regular basis and have had no problems. However tonight my internet connection pretty much died. I noticed that when i closed U-torrent everything was fine, opened it back up and net died again. has anyone elese had any problems similar to this?

Yes, I use Azureus as my client and have noticed this in the last few weeks, especially if it's torrents with a lot of seeds and hence fast downloads. PN investigated earlier this week for me and acknowledged the disconnects. Miraculously I then had 2 uninterrupted nights but the problems returned last night.

-Mat

Hi Mat,

Can you just confirm if you are using RIN or your normal @plusdsl.net username to connect?

Ian
mlavende
Rising Star

Hi Ian,

my normal @plusdsl.net username I think. What's RIN ?

-Ma
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 70

Hi there,

RIN is an alternative network that we offered PAYG customers the opportunity to move to. It's loosely based on BT Wholesale's forthcoming Connect products and is significantly different from an architectural viewpoint when considering how you actually connect and route traffic over the Internet.

With torrents, I would never expect things to kill browsing unless my router was being a bit funky (with want of a better phrase). One of the good things about the Ellacoyas is the fact that your browsing should be pretty good even if you are doing a lot of lower priority stuff.

As an example I was downloading at my line speed (4Mbps) from Astraweb's news server the other day, yet I could still fire up Channel 4's Simulcast service and stream live content from there (which takes up between 512kbps and 1Mbps of traffic). What happened is I noticed my Usenet drop by the equivalent amount that Channel 4's stream was using.

I'd be lying if I said it didn't stall from time to time but either way it was a hell of a lot better than if there'd been no server side prioritisation in place.

One problem with torrents is the amount of damn flows they open up. With Usenet you're only going to see double figures at best but with some P2P apps the amount of connections can be in the thousands.

Make sure your limiting your uploads and if using a router, make sure you have all the relevant ports forwarded to your LAN. Where possible use proprietary ports and that limits the chance of us doing anything negatively untoward with your traffic. Having said that, nothing should kill browsing, not even in a worse case scenario!

Kind Rgds,

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Products Team
If I've been helpful then please give thanks ⤵

tex
Grafter

bobpullen, so what you're saying is that faster uploads and more torrent connections result in slower HTTP speeds?

uTorrent has the option to enable encryption to bypass speed restrictions on some ISPs, does this affect PN (I'm on Premier)?
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 70

bobpullen, so what you're saying is that faster uploads and more torrent connections result in slower HTTP speeds?

Yes. The nature of TCP/IP traffic is to send acknowledgement packets back to the server you are downloading from. These acknowledgement packets are sent upstream to the server which is made difficult if your maxing your uploads. It is unlikely to completely stop browsing altogether but it can have an adverse effect on speeds.

uTorrent has the option to enable encryption to bypass speed restrictions on some ISPs, does this affect PN (I'm on Premier)?

Not really, the Ellacoys can still identify most encypted P2P traffic for what it is and prioritise it accordingly.

Kind Rgds,

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Products Team
If I've been helpful then please give thanks ⤵

mlavende
Rising Star

Hi there,

RIN is an alternative network that we offered PAYG customers the opportunity to move to. It's loosely based on BT Wholesale's forthcoming Connect products and is significantly different from an architectural viewpoint when considering how you actually connect and route traffic over the Internet.

With torrents, I would never expect things to kill browsing unless my router was being a bit funky (with want of a better phrase). One of the good things about the Ellacoyas is the fact that your browsing should be pretty good even if you are doing a lot of lower priority stuff.

As an example I was downloading at my line speed (4Mbps) from Astraweb's news server the other day, yet I could still fire up Channel 4's Simulcast service and stream live content from there (which takes up between 512kbps and 1Mbps of traffic). What happened is I noticed my Usenet drop by the equivalent amount that Channel 4's stream was using.

I'd be lying if I said it didn't stall from time to time but either way it was a hell of a lot better than if there'd been no server side prioritisation in place.

One problem with torrents is the amount of damn flows they open up. With Usenet you're only going to see double figures at best but with some P2P apps the amount of connections can be in the thousands.

Make sure your limiting your uploads and if using a router, make sure you have all the relevant ports forwarded to your LAN. Where possible use proprietary ports and that limits the chance of us doing anything negatively untoward with your traffic. Having said that, nothing should kill browsing, not even in a worse case scenario!

Kind Rgds,

Hi Bob,

thanks for the info on RIN. I remember the email now, but it is of no use to me since I need a static IP address and you can't have that with RIN can you.

Your point about too many connections in torrents is something I'd thought of too. I use azureus and I'm not sure how to find out how many connections it makes let alone how to limit it or how many it should be ! More investigation methinks :-) If you can give me any help that would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers

-Mat
tex
Grafter

I use azureus and I'm not sure how to find out how many connections it makes
Get uTorrent Wink
The settings are on Options > Preferences > Connection and BitTorrent
Liam
Grafter

Alternatively, you'll find it very near the top of the Tools > Options menu. But you'll need to make sure you're setup as an 'Advanced' user in Azureus to see it. You can do this using the Configuration Wizard (also found on the Tools menu).
suec45
Grafter

Torrent program definitely slow down browsing adn normal downloads thanks to the hundreds of connections made to other computers, your download is just one more of these connections.
mlavende
Rising Star

Alternatively, you'll find it very near the top of the Tools > Options menu. But you'll need to make sure you're setup as an 'Advanced' user in Azureus to see it. You can do this using the Configuration Wizard (also found on the Tools menu).

OK Thanks, so any idea what's a good value ?
mlavende
Rising Star

I use azureus and I'm not sure how to find out how many connections it makes
Get uTorrent Wink
The settings are on Options > Preferences > Connection and BitTorrent

Maybe when they support Macs as well I might Shocked