cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Two questions about connection settings

Community Veteran

First is something I've mentioned on my open fault ticket, which is that my upstream noise margin has suddenly dropped right down over the last day or so for no apparent reason, either causing or caused by a drop in downstream sync speed and increase in downstream noise margin. I managed to get it all back to 'normal' last night by rebooting but it quickly reverted.

'Normal':
ADSL Link Downstream Upstream
Connection Speed 5152 kbps 448 kbps
Line Attenuation 31.0 db 18.0 db
Noise Margin 5.9 db 22.0 db

Current:
ADSL Link Downstream Upstream
Connection Speed 3136 kbps 448 kbps
Line Attenuation 31.0 db 18.0 db
Noise Margin 19.3 db 12.0 db

Any ideas what might cause this? Or could it be something to do with BT still investigating things, which all appeared to have been fixed till this started happening?

Second related question is how to tell if my connection has had interleaving turned on. I wondered if it had been turned on when I noticed the downstream noise margin had increased and also mentioned that in my ticket.

My router is a Netgear DG834GT and I don't see anything on any section of the browser interface which indicates interleaving. I can't use any Windoze programs etc to access extra information as I have an Apple Mac computer!
Plusnet user since November 2003
Currently on Unlimited Fibre Extra and Unlimited UK & Mobile Calls
9 REPLIES
N/A

My router is a Netgear DG834GT and I don't see anything on any section of the browser interface which indicates interleaving. I can't use any Windoze programs etc to access extra information as I have an Apple Mac computer!

I know next to nothing about your router, but, have you tried the Netgear forum/FAQ's to ask how its done?

Addition:

I found this over at Kits.co.uk, scroll down the list:-
http://www.kitz.co.uk/adsl/frogstats.htm
Community Veteran

There's nothing in the Netgear FAQ about it, nor anything when I search their Knowledge Base and I can't find a Netgear Forum to ask questions.

Thanks for the further link but I've looked there before and it tells me nothing other than the basic info which is easily found on the router interface - the Netgear Stats don't indicate whether or not the connection is interleaved, which is why I'm needing to ask!
N/A

I found this on the Bulldog Usergroup Site
Method 2: DG834 & DG834G only

Steps to get detailed stats:-
Click > -- http://192.168.0.1/setup.cgi?todo=debug
Returns in web browser :- 'Debug Enable!'

Then --
Start > Run > type 'cmd'
In the DOS window type :- Telnet 192.168.0.1

Ruturns
BusyBox v0.61.pre (2005.09.27-08:20+0000) Built-in shell (ash)

Then type: - cat proc/avalanche/avsar_modem_stats

The output should be as followed :- (right-click select 'mark' to highlight copy and paste)

AR7 DSL Modem Statistics: 

--------------------------------
[DSL Modem Stats]
US Connection Rate: 576 DS Connection Rate: 8064
DS Line Attenuation: 26 DS Margin: 9
US Line Attenuation: 14 US Margin: 22
US Payload : 1124173024 DS Payload: 1456660032
US Superframe Cnt : 127978127 DS Superframe Cnt: 127978127
US Transmit Power : 0 DS Transmit Power: 0
LOS errors: 0 SEF errors: 0
Frame mode: 3 Max Frame mode: 0
Trained Path: 0 US Peak Cell Rate: 1358
Trained Mode: 3 Selected Mode: 1
ATUC Vendor Code: 54535443 ATUC Revision: 2
Hybrid Selected: 1 Trellis: 1
Showtime Count: 1 DS Max Attainable Bit Rate: 8256
BitSwap: 1 US Max Attainable Bit Rate: n/a

[Upstream (TX) Interleave path]
CRC: 0 FEC: 0 NCD: 1
LCD: 0 HEC: 0

[Downstream (RX) Interleave path]
CRC: 0 FEC: 0 NCD: 0

[Upstream (TX) Fast path]
CRC: 5450 FEC: 408 NCD: 0

[Downstream (RX) Fast path]
CRC: 3139 FEC: 0 NCD: 0

[ATM Stats]
[Upstream/TX]
Good Cell Cnt: 202377242
Idle Cell Cnt: 2753193087

[Downstream/RX)]
Good Cell Cnt: 835653452
Idle Cell Cnt: 1887612987
Bad Hec Cell Cnt: 1036
Overflow Dropped Cell Cnt: 0

[SAR AAL5 Stats]
Tx PDU's: 98505449
Rx PDU's: 176389903
Tx Total Bytes: 379963038
Rx Total Bytes: 4133978431
Tx Total Error Counts: 0
Rx Total Error Counts: 409

[OAM Stats]
Near End F5 Loop Back Count: 0
Near End F4 Loop Back Count: 0
Far End F5 Loop Back Count: 0
Far End F4 Loop Back Count: 0

Method 2b: DG834GT only
Same as above, except command for detailed stats are:-

/usr/sbin/adslctl info --stats

I'm not at home, so I can't tell you if it works, but it's worth a try I suppose.

If packets are registered under Interleaved, you are Interleaved, if they are registered under Fast path, you must be on Fast path.

The example given appears to be fast path.

Clearly, if you have changed the IP address of your router from its default, you will need to use the new address, rather than 192.168.0.1.
Community Veteran

Thanks James. I've seen this before and don't think I'd be able to do that as it appears to use DOS which Macs don't!

However, I've found a forum for Netgear on Broadbandbuyer and discovered that the reason I couldn't find the Netgear Community forum is that it's currently not online! I'll have a look through the forum when I have some more time to spare.
N/A

I guess it will still be possible on a MAC, although I don't know what program MAC's use as a telnet client.

Perhaps this will help you?

Macintosh OS X
Telnet (and SSH) capability is included within OS X. You can access it via the Terminal application. Look in the Utilities subfolder of your Applications folder. At the prompt, type "telnet server", where server is the name of the computer to which you would like to establish a connection.

Replace server with 192.168.0.1
then continue with the rest of the instructions.

Unless of course you are using a different MAC OS?
Community Veteran

Thanks again, James. I have occasionally used Terminal before but never to telnet but I'll give it a try. Can't do any harm anyway.

Trying to do this and I'm getting 'connection refused'. I've set the router's firewall for telnet to and from the Mac and there's nothing showing in the Mac's firewall log, so I'll have to investigate further. (Yes, I put in the router's correct address, which is different to the default.)
Community Veteran

Looked up telnet on the Mac support site and it seems the more recent versions of Mac OSX don't run telnet by default and it needs to be turned on again.

Tried what it said and there are all sorts of warning messages within the instructions that come up before you even get started on changing the settings, so I don't think I'll bother with taking that one any further!
N/A

There are various telnet clients available to download for Macs, http://www.mactelnet.com/ is one example.

Perhaps somebody with Mac experience could give better advice than a Windoze slave such as myself can manage.

You don't perchance have an alternative router/modem lying around which you could bring into temporary service to help you find out if interleaving is on or not?

I'm sure PN could tell you one version of the answer, although a few posters have noted that BT have supplied incorrect information to PN, so whatever answer they give you, may not be accurate. Cry
Community Veteran

From what I can see, I would still have to turn Telnet back on even if I wanted to use something like this, which looks as though it's like a far more sophisticated version of the Mac's Terminal program which I was using.

I've got my original 'bridge' style modem but the reason I bought the Netgear was that the old one is totally unfigurable - no logs or stats, which I thought would be useful to have before I got moved to MaxDSL (and its built-in firewall blocks VoIP!).

Of course, it may just be BT still investigating and trying things out. And, of course, PlusNet won't know that till BT tells them it's all fixed or otherwise!