cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Turning On Spam Protection Question

thehatman
Grafter

Do I need to subscribe each mailbox individually as well as turning on "Move to Spam folder" in general email settings to fully activate Spam protection?
11 REPLIES
thehatman
Grafter

Could PN answer this please. Or does anyone know for certain? Thanks.
N/A

[Rather that start a new thread I thought I'd add this to this filter enabling related thread]

This post is more out of me being concerned for my plus brethern than myself, but I do feel its quite important! Smiley

For me anyway the spam protection was switched on by default on Thursday, and it was by default move to the mysterious 'spam' folder in webmail you have to search for to find.

Now the spamfilteris getting a lot of false positives, but I was lucky enough to be following this subject, so I knew to find out how to access this new folder and immediately found non spam email in the spam folder, so I immediately switched it to send email to me marked spam so i didn't miss anything.

But I only knew this as someone who has read this forum, surely I'm in the minority?

Now surely, if this is the default setting, plusnet now has LOADS of customers who are sitting their obviously with 'good' email in a webmail they never access, in a folder they have to know about, that is very non intuitive to configure to get access to? (you really have to 'know').

I'm wondering if plusnet made this the default to try and make the spam problem 'go away', but surely, and I'm just looking out for other people here, there are people now 'missing' private/shopping /work etc email? Some of this email might be quite important?

Shouldn't plusnet have by default made the email setting 'mark as spam' and forward? Or at the very least said sent out an email to everyone saying 'VERY *VERY* important, we are now sending email that might be spam to a folder you have to access via [insert method]. This probably contains email that is not spam'.

Given the number of false positives that last sentence isn't being cheeky!

PS is this 'thisisnotspam' address automated or does it mean a
plusnet 'Herr Flick' vetting our emails? Tongue
N/A

Egality
Absolutely agree with your comments. I have just spent all morning trying to catch up on the Spam fiasco. As usual PN make you search hard for everything. Nothing is easy or spelt out for the non-geeks. God help any grannies out there. My wife wouldn't know where to start! And I have difficulty getting to grips with the technicalities and the sheer volume of words on the subject not to mention the links from links from links that you have to follow.
I have just seen that Webmail has changed to Squirrelmail where I seem to have absolutely nothing. So where do I find this mysterious Spam folder because I can't see it?
I have also read that PN have postponed carrying over our Webmail address books to Squirrelmail. They say they will allow us to opt out of this. I hope so as I will now do without a Webmail contact list thank you. Is it correct that people on my old Webmail sddress book are now getting Spammed like us and even spoofed so that they think it's all from me?
Would appreciate how to find the Squirrel Spam folder.
Thanks
GCJ
N/A

N/A

Thanks, lestones

But what a palaver!! As people are saying on the thread you pointed me to, why on Earth didn't PN just default everyone to "subscribe" to the Spam folder?? After all we all need to do it!

I hope PN will also follow the suggestion to email all subscribers to advise them of how this all works and what they have to do. No matter how good the Spam filter is, someone somewhere is going to lose genuine messages that they did want to receive. I have opted to get all my Spam email delivered to my inbox in Outlook Express where McAfee Spamkiller now sorts Spam from real emails and creates and loads a Spam folder for me automatically. Then I never have to use Webmail unless I travel away from my PC.

PN must also advise customers that they will have the option to NOT carry their old Webmail address book over to the new SqirrelMail. I'm first on the list for that please! That should mitigate my problems the next time the PN email list gets hacked!

Thanks again for the link.
GCJ
chrisc
Grafter

@gcjonline,

If people opted in for the new Spam protection offerings then the Spam folder should automatically be added as soon as they receive mail marked as Spam. Unfortunately, it seems that on some accounts this is not automatically happening.

In this case you will need to subscribe as described above. We have included clear instructions on how to use the new Spam features on our [url=http://www.plus.net/support/security/spam/spam_protection_guide.shtml] Spam Protection Guide[url] and offered customers the opportunity to opt in or out.

We will be informing customers regarding the transfer of address books and they will then be able to make an informed decision.
N/A

If people opted in for the new Spam protection offerings then the Spam folder should automatically be added as soon as they receive mail marked as Spam. Unfortunately, it seems that on some accounts this is not automatically happening.

But you seem to have completely missed my main point. I didn't activate ANYTHING. I checked on Thursday, and noticed I didn't have any email, went to the portal, noticed the new spam filter was *already* activated and *silently* directing stuff to the new folder, went to webmail, seen nothing, trawled around this forum for a while, evntually found the solution, and then found 'good' email that had been, in effect, binned.

Given I didn't activate the spam filter, it just did so itself, and I can only assume I'm not some unusual special case, my entire point was that surely, as the spamfilter keeps throwing up false positives, you likely have hundreds (thousands?) of customers who may be missing email and not even have a clue why or how to resolve it?? I certainly didn't get an email saying 'spam filter now on' either.

If I hadn't poked around here I wouldn't have a clue why I was missing emails!
chrisc
Grafter

@egality

I appreciate your comments and understand the point that you are making. I apologise if the new features were not presented to you clearly.

Last week we sent an email to our entire customer base titled: Important information about your email address.

It contained the following:

If you have been receiving spam email to any of your mailboxes, then you could also reduce this by taking some or all of the actions recommended here: link

This directed customers to the our help and support pages detailing the new steps and how to activate the Spam protection.

This gave customers the opportunity to opt in or out before the Spam protection was launched and also read about how to access the Spam folder.
N/A

ccotterill
Quote:
If you have been receiving spam email to any of your mailboxes, then you could also reduce this by taking some or all of the actions recommended here: link

This directed customers to the our help and support pages detailing the new steps and how to activate the Spam protection.

This gave customers the opportunity to opt in or out before the Spam protection was launched and also read about how to access the Spam folder.

We received a number of emails, some quite large. From that one line, you can't seriously expect anyone to deduce that by default the spam filter would be autoactivated on a quite aggressive setting, surely? I READ the emails, how many just gave them a quick skim? When there was intially talk of spam filters I was quite interested and had a good rake around my portal and couldn't find anything, pre-thursday, as I'm an old customer.

As I say, on Thursday, it just sprung to life, silently. I at last now know whats going on here (after having to dig yet more), but I'm fighting *this* particular battle for the poor, the needy, the un-techy savy of the +net family who at this very moment will now have unread emails they don't know about, waiting to be auto-deleted. Who next week, and the week after ..., will again be missing emails, and not know about it, as plusnet have silently autoactivated a very important feature with very large ramifications to our email, and not made it at ALL clear what an important effect this will be having on peoples email.

In some ways having emails never arrive is worse for these people than getting spam in the first place, surely? I feel I'm having to struggle surprisingly hard to get across how important this change was?!
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 158

As it appears that some customers have not seen this information on the email already sent we will certainly look at sending another one with more details on.
Customers do have 30 days before any emails are deleted from the SPAM folder so hopefully we can get this knocked on the head before then.
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Chris Parr
 Plusnet Help Team
N/A

As it appears that some customers have not seen this information on the email already sent we will certainly look at sending another one with more details on.
Customers do have 30 days before any emails are deleted from the SPAM folder so hopefully we can get this knocked on the head before then.

Yea I didn't want to sound cheeky in my last post, sorry if I ended that way, but I'm trying to stress exactly how easy it is for your customers to fall through the cracks in this and end up losing a significant % of their email. I was affected by this from the moment you implemented it. I'm fairly tech savvy, I've been following this issue and I had trouble with the new setting. It hasn't been made clear at all. I actually expected it to be made available, not autoapplied in THAT way.

Indeed I've followed the link the last guy posted and I recognized it, I'd been to it previously and it didn't help
at that point as there was no spam settings available at that point.

God help any non techy Grandads etc who you've applied this setting to - I don't think they'll have stood a chance! I would humbly suggest that you make the email concise and clearly stress the importance, not buried as point 6 of a large roundup Smiley Indeed I'd suggest anyone who hasn't visited the portal to switch the filter 'on' gets it switched to 'mark and forward', with an email explaining the settings. If they don't read the email and have the technical will to switch things on, it implies they won't be checking webmail to find their [missing] email.