cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Tunnel P2P connections on BB+

N/A

Hello,
To get good P2P downloads on BB+ you need to tunnel your P2P connection. They use Ellacoya e30 Switch which inspects packets so your can put in Port 80. I can't give no tutorials but have a search on google and you will find some handy links Smiley
11 REPLIES
Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

I think we can be pretty sure that on Monday morning PN will be taking a close look at what you are doing with a view to adding to the Ellacoya configuration to recognise and prioritise your traffic correctly. By making this post I suspect a higher priority will be given to closing this loophole before many other BB+ users try the same thing.

If you have found a way round the system, I suggest you would have been well advised to keep your head down in the hope of getting away with it on the quiet for as long as possible.
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£13/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
LiamM
Grafter

I don't believe this is possible as it isn't ports the ellacoya's look at but the high-level packet signatures using DPI.
N/A

As mentioned previously by one of the comms team, circumventing the traffic shaping in this way is a violation of the AUP and can result in your total bandwidth being shaped or your account being terminated.

Just a word of warning for anyone thinking of trying this.

Regards,
Andrew D Wiles
Kil Joy 2nd Class
Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

I don't doubt he is doing this Liam, but it's like the fight against viruses - as fast as new ones come out, counter measures are taken.

I would suspect that if he persists in abusing the nature of the product he's signed up to by circumventing the traffic prioritisation, measures will be taken.

I wonder if they could just set all traffic from a particular user was to be bronze - that would sort him out!
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£13/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
N/A

Listen when I joined PlusNet I never got told that I will be getting 0kb/s.
As I said I have not changed the ports. I get roughly around 30kb/s Smiley
I am not a heavy downloader. Less that 10gb a month.
N/A

If a PlusNet comms team or staff tell me it's against the rules I will stop Smiley
Just send me a PM!
avalon
Grafter

I think that the best way to get good d/l speeds on filesharing apps is to change isp. PN clearly don't want P2P downloaders on either Premier or BB+ (especially on BB+) judging both by their words and actions.

For reasonable money you can get a package from other suppliers like F2S & Eclipse without the same P2P restrictions (at the moment). If P2P is the most important thing you're trying to use your BB+ connection for then PN is definetly the wrong ISP to be with.
JonathanW
Grafter

Due to the way that the Ellacoyas function, simply changing the port that you're using won't make a difference to the traffic being placed into the appropriate queue, or being rate limited.

P2P is still fully useable on the Premier account, however it is shaped a little during the peak hours, but not to an extent that makes it unusable.
crimsone
Grafter

Indeed, but surely tunneling via an encrypted VPN would do the trick? VPN is in the silver queue if I recall(?), and no matter how deep the packet inspection is, you can't read what you can't understand.

There are ways around anything - it's just a question of willingness/morality as to wether or not you try to find and use one.

Now, I'm not acctually recommending anybody does this, but lets for arguments sake ask the following question - how long until a version of Bittorrent or another p2p application is written to work on this very basis?
ceridwen
Grafter

Of course PN could always throttle all VPN traffic claiming that VPN is really for accessing your workplace from home and hence is only really supported on homeworker and business accounts.

On the other hand you could tunnel over https with the same effect (as https is also encrypted) and PN would have difficulty justifying throttling https.

Matthew
N/A

Now, I'm not acctually recommending anybody does this, but lets for arguments sake ask the following question - how long until a version of Bittorrent or another p2p application is written to work on this very basis?

Not really all that long. The latest version of BitComet encrypts the protocol header, and Azureus is sure to follow suit. ISP's all around the world are starting to implement throttling based on the protocol being used. The cat and mouse games have well and truely started.