cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Tumbling support on ADSL Guide

jagger
Grafter

As my thread in Ideas and Suggestions got locked for some totally obscure reason,I'll re post it here.

Me,Today,in Ideas and Suggestions

I had a little look at the ADSL guide compare feature the other day.It's a tool I used to use a lot to show how smart I was to choose Plusnet as my ISP.

I was a little surprised at the recent figures,but not wholly astonished considering the activity in the forums lately..

The Customer Support rating has dropped 13 points in 6 months.

Speed and reliability also showed double figure drops.

Steady,reliable drops in actual customer ratings of satisfaction should be a sign for director level questions to be asked within Plusnet.Are these being asked?

It would be reassuring to know that they are being asked as the figures show a freefall drop in Plusnet's previous above average reputation.And the forum rants seem to be increasing over all product points.

So my suggestion is that the directors have a coffee morning as soon as is practicable and figure out just what it is they are doing wrong.

I have always pointed people at the ADSL guide compare feature when they are considering broadband.At the current rate of decline of Plusnet's figures it won't be long before they are not a choice at all.

And then I attached a poll to it asking if Plusnet's directors should be worried about their pathetic performance (as measured by ADSL Guide's compare feature) over the last 5 or six months.So I'll attach the poll again,although ,for the life of me I can't see how this should be in Community Support rather than Idea's and Suggestions.

I'll also repost the figures from that post.

It's the compare feature.The figures show a scary drop off from the once solid top slot that Plusnet used to hold without question.Six months ago,based on that feature Plusnet would be attracting a good majority of people who used it to check ISP's.Now, they won't be.

Such as

SPEED June 2005 76% -- October 63% Down 13%

RELIABILTY June 2005 81% -- October 70% Down 11%

CUSTOMER SERVICE June 2005 77% -- October 62% Down 15%

That is a lot of points to be losing in a short time.Remember that this is a feature using the whole customer base voting for their ISP,the effect of one or two people will not be felt in this section,unlike a forum where they can make a lot of bother.
That's why I found it worrying.Plusnet are slipping

Rather than copy the whole post over I'll just link to it http://portal.plus.net/central/forums/viewtopic.php?t=37583

And I'll finish by saying that if you don't think that it is a valid idea that Plusnet's directors discuss this trend with the utmost urgency then you could just say so.
If you consider it to be in an incorrect forum then you could move it there.But to simply lock the thread?.........
38 REPLIES
rammie1976
Grafter

Re: Tumbling support on ADSL Guide

As my thread in Ideas and Suggestions got locked for some totally obscure reason,I'll re post it here.........

....And I'll finish by saying that if you don't think that it is a valid idea that Plusnet's directors discuss this trend with the utmost urgency then you could just say so.
If you consider it to be in an incorrect forum then you could move it there. But to simply lock the thread?.........

ROFL - I've just looked at the thread to see who locked it (although I'd already got a good idea!) - fa55dsl is a 'serial thread-locker!! I presume its some sort of power-kick. :roll: :lol:

I would think that +net will take no notice of the ADSL figures while their share-price continues to rise.

Perhaps the ADSL figures are a sign that the more knowledgable broadband users are fed up, but as an indicator of +nets user-base, who knows?
Community Veteran

NO

Plus.Net’s customer satisfaction and speeds may well be falling on ADSL Guide.

But their share price is still rising.
http://uk.finance.yahoo.com/q/bc?s=PNT.L&t=2y&l=on&z=m&q=l&c=
Some 3 times in 18 months. WoW now that what I call return on investment.

See Plus.Net are no longer targeting the typical ADSL Guide user, as they are no longer the most profitable. They are now targeting the newbe, the grey suffer, those who are happy to pay £15 per month and only download 1GB of data.

They are no longer interest in the Geek, the Gamer, or the Music Pirate. These users demand a service for the money.

So should Plusnet's directors be worried?

NO

But their customers should be, not because Plus.Net is any worse that any other ISP, but because they are becoming as bad as them. It’s a trend across the whole industry that is being pushed by cost and the marketing of lower price products that devalue internet service provision.

Do people really choose an ISP because they offer broadband for £9.99 per month for the first two months, and not look at the cost beyond? Or because of a review on ADSL guide.

Sorry just my two penny worth, my only wish is that I had bought Plus.Net shares when they floated.

Chilly
N/A

plusnet are now the new aol! Smiley
N/A

Yes they should be and I am sure they are. Negativity has a way of creeping into the public conciousness way beyond those with a serious interest in broadband provision and the more technical details. It will put people off and make grabbing a position in a growing market more difficult. I am currently much happier with my connection now I have a certain clean allowance and if my position is replicated elsewhere then the ratings will most likely creep back up. They certainly can't afford to keep making the kind of high customer impact network management mistakes of the latter half of last year and not expect it to have an impact on their ability to grow and retain their customer base.
Community Veteran

So the million dollar question is;

Who’s the new Plus.Net!

Chilly
N/A

So my suggestion is that the directors have a coffee morning as soon as is practicable and figure out just what it is they are doing wrong.

Perhaps at the coffee morning, they can have a bake a cake stall and raise some money to upgrade their kack network instead of throttling us all!!!?
N/A

whats this chilly guy been smoking?

can i have some?

We pay plus nets salaries so first off i wouldnt try and say, look how much money we made, while the service you provide is complete pants.

As for the grey surfers etc you speak of, they ask people like us who we think they should sign up to, or even ask us to sort it out. You think i would recommend this joke company?

I already read on here a guy who recommend plusnet as a way to get back at a guy he hates. Sums it i think.
N/A

Lets see how far we can actually get them down the compare list?

Run as many speed tests and rate them as 1. 1. 1. when completed.

This I shall call "Screw them like they screw us! ©"
N/A

Which is precisely the reason why myself definitely and Plusnet probably are not going to be concerned with information in the compare ISP feature.

Besides with these speed figures

05-01-2006 16:28:38 1911.1
04-01-2006 21:35:07 1910.1
04-01-2006 09:07:03 1913.3

do you really think I am going to rate them badly speed wise....... I think not
N/A

I did!

Sod them.

Anything that brings to light the failings of their garbage CS and the debacle that is the botched traffic shaping changes is well worth highlighting!
jagger
Grafter

I would like to point out to the feeble minded,grey haired populace ( me ) that shares can go down as well as up.Just like popularity.Just like income.

Zen are the new Plusnet.

Everyone knows that AOL are the new black. :twisted:

Plusnet boast that 50% of customers a referred by a friend.How many people no longer feel comfortable recommending them?Me for one.

How many people have removed their links to Plusnet? Me for one.

I won't run a campaign against Plusnet bob.I don't think they deserve that much attention.But I think that their popularity is crashing due to their own failings.And it will continue to crash unless the service they provide improves.There is more competition for my silver haired dollar than ever before,and I'm tempted to look elsewhere for the first time in 3 1/2 years.
N/A

Which is precisely the reason why myself definitely and Plusnet probably are not going to be concerned with information in the compare ISP feature.

Besides with these speed figures

05-01-2006 16:28:38 1911.1
04-01-2006 21:35:07 1910.1
04-01-2006 09:07:03 1913.3

do you really think I am going to rate them badly speed wise....... I think not

Sunhouse,

Although I dont hold anything against plusnet, speedtests dont actually relay anything about the service period. It has been mentioned on this forum a number of times that speed tests have been completed with great figures, but everything else is slow.
So, if there was a mark out of 10 for Connection speed as well as Actual Internet speed then yes a high mark would be easy. But the speed test does not take into account your throttle and how much is reduces your speeds by.

Regards,
N/A

But the speed test does not take into account your throttle and how much is reduces your speeds by.

Agreed: but apart from speed test is there another way of finding just how good my connection is...... in other words how can I personally find out by how much I am being throttled if indeed I am; which I think is doubtful as I see no real signs of anything slowing down, but it would be an interesting excersise to try just out of interest.
N/A

Sunhouse,

The only speed test anyone could ever really rely on is the BT speed test. As for getting a figure to see by how much your throttled by thats going to be hard.
Until the throttle affects your http ( as it is with quiet a few BB+ users ) you will have to watch the transfer speeds of things such as FTP and P2P.
As far as P2P is concerned even that is not accurate as it depends on you sharing and others offering you a leech spot etc etc.

So in short, the best way to find out is to ask Plusnet, but even then you wont get any other answer apart from " Not by much " or " no more than 5% of your line speed ".

Regards,