cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Trying to understand

N/A

Trying to understand

OK maybe not as tech savy as many of you but I'm trying to understand why PN are shaping traffic and having download limits??

I understand that PlusNet have plenty of spare capacity (least that's what I was told) in off peak times, so why have slowdowns on certain traffic at that time, surely with the limits set (2MB, 100GB total and 30GB peak) there's no reason to throttle connections at all times of the day??

I have seen a slowdown of P2P over the past couple of weeks to less than a 1MB connection and the downloads I know fore certain should come down at full speed

I could quite happily keep within the usage limits set by PN (100GB limit that is but with no way to check peak time usage I really have no clue to my usage over that time and don't want tools on my PC to keep track after all why should I) when I joined an "unlimited service")

Also PlusNet reps have stopped posting on ADSLGuide because of a few insults, they need to be a bit "tougher" and rise above the insults, boy it's nothing to some of the aggro I get from customers in my job....

All this talk of scarecrows lions and tin men running down a yellow brick road I did'nt understand at all, it's just fantasy...........

Are PlusNet now totaly inflexible and will just do as they like with customers, it was never like tahat even less than a year ago Sad
10 REPLIES
N/A

Trying to understand

OK maybe not as tech savy as many of you but I'm trying to understand why PN are shaping traffic and having download limits??

With regards to this question well it is for these reasons. To ensure that we can deliver time critical applications such as voip, email, gaming, email and chat applications we need to apply some traffic prioritisation to ensure they are not swamped by heave constant protocols such as p2p.

However we do not want to make the p2p and Usenet unuseable and as such any customer maxing tier connection across these applications would still be able to cause a detriment to others. Why not just manage the protocols even more? Well becasue if we did that then those customers would not be able to download as they want to which is smaller amounts at a good speed so that would penalise the entire customer base to target a few customers who can cost us over £1000 a month and detriment the whole userbase and this is not sustainable on any level.

With reegards to ADSLGuide and VMBU I have answered on your other thread but I will reproduce it here.

The first is the ADSLGuide, we have been telling them for some time now that the forum was becoming lost for our customers and as a helpful resource. It is dominated by ex customers and those who want somewhere to come and argue and fight. Every thread is becoming over run by people who want to take it off thread and just make personal attacks on us and on those who support us or who are genuine customers wanting help. This does not help anyone as it dominates our time and begins to scare those off who just want to discuss things with us. Disagreement is fine but the constant abuse is not acceptable, we have had an onging dialogue but were just not getting anywhere and ultimately we have decided to concentrate on this and other forums where we will talk to customers about anything that you want to.

We have not withdrawn from talking to customers but decided to concentrate on the places where our customers are and where we can help them.

With regards to VMBU I personally will get you a date for this on monday and I do not envisage this being much further off as I can honestly confirm that development is well down the line we just need to be sure it is correct.
N/A

Trying to understand

target a few customers who can cost us over £1000 a month and detriment the whole userbase and this is not sustainable on any level.

Why not just contact those customers and offer them a connection at a realistic price or free migration, making it clear they will be TM'd until they choose an option
Ben_Brown
Grafter

Trying to understand

That is what the SUP is, we are contacting those customers who are using a very large amount of bandwidth and giving them several options. Once of these is to migrate to another provider.
N/A

Trying to understand

No it's not SUP is 100GB max download or 30GB peak download

No user can now use very large amounts of bandwidth as speeds are reduced to around dial up there's no way to download large amounts of data anymore

If all those that were consuming large amounts of data left there would be no problem

Likewise capping users to 100GB usage anytime should avoid the need to traffic manage. or is 100GB limit unsustainable for each user without TM

I'm trying to understand

[Moderator's note by Mark (pcsni): Full quote of preceding post removed as it is unnecessary]
Ben_Brown
Grafter

Trying to understand

Have you read through Dave's sticky post?

In it Dave has explained some of the reasons why we are developing a managed platform for our customers, as well as the reasons behind this.

Just targeting the very heavy users is not enough to ensure that our network will provide the best peak time experience for the majority of our customers, and won't ensure that latency sensitive applications will run properly even at busy times.

Without any traffic management we would see certain protocols such as perr-2-peer spiralling out of control and taking up far too much of our available capacity.

With a combination of shaping and clearly defined usage levels we can provide the best service to the majority of customers, even with the advent of video on demand, VoIP as well as the faster connection speeds.
N/A

Trying to understand

Laudable objectives.

A pity that the back end wasn't put into place before the SUP, rather than during and after it.

PN have a long way to go to provide "the best service".
N/A

Trying to understand

It's not just heavy users that are being targeted, I had speeds of less than 1kbs since the very start. Choking everyone to such a degree surely is excessive and leaves alot over. Who is it exactly that is getting all the bandwidth, and how is it that some people on the forums seem to be very happy with their connex and are defending PlusNet. I assume these defenders of the regime are the ones who are getting the bandwidth.
Ben_Brown
Grafter

Trying to understand

If your speed is that slow and you're not on a managed profile it may well be that you have a fault on your line.

Have you contacted us to investigate this? It might be worth you doing that.
N/A

Trying to understand

So on a good line and not on a managed account we should see flying speeds?
N/A

Trying to understand

Can I also just clarify one thing with regards to teh ADSLGuide the dialogue is ongoing at the moment as to how we can move forward and the fact that we are currently not posting in there does not mean that we will not do so long term. Also this does not affect my and our commitment to communications with customers and we will continue to try to be as present in this forum as possible.