cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Trying to migrate in [Question 21516726]

Bookman
Grafter

I am in the middle of trying to migrate my ADSL to PlusNet but now receive a message from PN saying:

"Unfortunately we cannot migrate your service to us as your current ISP provider has ceased their service with you.
What you should do
--------------------------
We suggest contacting your current ISP to confirm the situation. It is possible that they've placed a cease which hasn't yet completed.
However, if the cease has completed we'll need to place a new broadband order for you."

This is strange because I am using that ISP's service (Demon) now (so it obviously still works) and have not told them to cancel. The MAC key is valid till 24 March so the service should not have cancelled.

Therefore it appears, using PN terminology, that the cease has not completed and my ISP provider has *not* ceased its service with me - so why can PN not continue with the migration?
25 REPLIES
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 158

Can you reply to the ticket on your account and this will get to the migrations team for you. I've just tested the MAC you provided with the telephone number registered on the account and got the error 'You cannot migrate an asset which is not current.'
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Chris Parr
 Plusnet Help Team
Bookman
Grafter

Will do - I thought this approach through the forum might get responses from others who have encountered this problem migrating.
N/A

Strikes me as a little odd though;

Surely, if a line has a cease order, then one shouldn't be able to raise a MAC order against it?

Does this mean that Demon have issued the MAC, and then placed a cease order subsequently?
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team

I'm trying to think of reasons for this, normally the asset would only show as ceased for a couple of reasons.
1. The asset actually is ceased, which clearly isn't the case if you are still connected.
2. The current provider has placed an order on the line, eg a modify order to alter the speed.
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Chris Parr
 Plusnet Help Team
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 5

Are you sure the phone number entered is correct? Or would that give a different error message as the number the MAC was issued against isn't the one being used?

Phil
N/A

Is Demon still a part of Thus?

I had a letter recently talking about the migration of some of its products/services between its subsiduary companies I think.

Can't really remember as I didn't pay much attention at the time.
Bookman
Grafter

Thanks everybody for your interest - it makes these forums really valuable. I have replied direct to the PN email as advised by Chris Parr and await a reply.

To my knowledge, nothing has changed with my Demon account. The reasons for changing were major unreliability in service compounded with unsatisfactory response to my concerns from Demon. But I have not done anything to make them want to dump me so fast (except saying I want to go to PN perhaps!). I have been with Demon since 1994 (yes, 1994) and it was the greatest in the early days. But it started downhill with the Thus/Scottish Power takeover, then got worse when the ADSL Max upgrades began.

I'm struggling to think what might have gone wrong. I have two domains, a com and a co.uk, and had completed and faxed to Demon (under their instructions) a so-called UMC Form to "unlock" these for transfer to PN's sister company JTN. I was told I could go ahead. I planned to do it this morning and have now done so. I wonder if not having already done it caused any problem?

The only other "issue" I have with Demon is one that is familar to many others who have used Demon. Every year for the last 3 or so years I have received a letter from a debt collector telling me I owe Demon £7.50 (yes, seven and a half quid) and I must pay up or else or the heavy gang will get me. But in fact I owe Demon nothing and I always write back and ask them to explain what this debt represents. They always say they will ask Demon. And nothing ever happens. So I regard the letter as a sort of Christmas greetings from Demon! (I know it's only 7.50 but it's the principle!) Demon are well-known for (incorrectly) sending in the debt collectors and it's lost them a lot of customers. (Actually it's not Demon but the Thus finance team who do it - the techies at Demon are not really to blame.)
N/A

Thanks everybody for your interest - it makes these forums really valuable. I have replied direct to the PN email as advised by Chris Parr and await a reply.

I hope you mean you replied to the ticket via the Help and Support section of the portal?
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team

Shockedops:

Looks like the order has actually been placed, the agent that performed it didn't update the other ticket so thats why it won't let me redo it.
Apologies for the confusion but everything looks set to complete on the 20th.
 Chris Parr
 Plusnet Help Team
Bookman
Grafter

I hope you mean you replied to the ticket via the Help and Support section of the portal?

Whoops - no, I just replied to the email in the usual way. Thanks for pointing it out - I need to get used to the PN way of doing things (and read to the bottom of emails). Wink
N/A

Looks like PN need to pay more attention to detail too! :lol:

Shockedops:

Looks like the order has actually been placed, the agent that performed it didn't update the other ticket so thats why it won't let me redo it.
Apologies for the confusion but everything looks set to complete on the 20th.
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team

I've now closed off the extra ticket and left just the one open confirming the migration has been submitted.

*I will read all the tickets on accounts, I will read all the tickets on accounts, I will read all the tickets on accounts*
 Chris Parr
 Plusnet Help Team
Bookman
Grafter

Thanks for all this great help - it seems to be all sorted now, and will start on 20 March.

I spoke to Chris and asked him to try and get the Help Assistant flagged up to new signees as a way to find out what is happening to their accounts. If I'd penetrated through to it I could have been reading useful info since 23 February and we could have avoided my other little problem (the direct debit failure).

I'd seen the Help Assistant but it looked like an elaborate FAQ and I didn't realise there were messages in there and other stuff specific to my account (even though I had used the Member Centre order tracker etc). I got to my Questions page through the link in the PN email this morning - but I still haven't worked out how to get there from the PN web pages!

The "problem" with the PN web site is that it has soooo much information - it's like walking into the British Library for the first time!

Another thing that should be flagged up for new people is: USE THE PLUSNET FORUMS! They are very good - quick responses from both PN staff and members. As a Linux user (Ubuntu), using forums is second nature to me, but many of my friends and business colleagues don't think of using them. It's made worse by many forums relying completely on customer participation and not giving responses from staff. For example, you don't see eBay staff responding in the basic eBay forums (unless anonymously) - and it causes a lot of frustration from customers.

Looking foward to 20 March! Cheesy
Mand
Grafter

Hi there,

Thanks for the feedback, it is appreciated.

The Help Assistant is linked to from the welcome email you receive, which takes you straight to the tickets section, however I've passed on the rest of your feedback to the content team, to try and get links to the forums and other useful info in the welcome email too.

Smiley