cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Trying to collate Speed Tests etc

N/A

Hi Folks,

As many people know, there are currently a lot of speed issues being experienced by PN customers. To try and provide as much info as possible for the Networks guys I have started a thread over on PUG to try and collate a standard set of information which the network folks can see and then monitor.

I have asked for a standard set so that hopefully we can get pretty comparative results and I am trying to collate them all together so that it is easy to pick up on trends etc during Peak and Off Peak hours.

If you have 5 minutes and can run through the tests it would be greatly appreciated!

NOTE: We are interested in results from all PN/F9/MN/FOL Users whether they are seeing problems or not!!!!

The thread with the info can be found here

(to post your results you will need to register on the PUG forums but this isn't a sneaky plot to lure you over to the dark side just simply trying to act as a central repository for results!)

Thanks for your help folks
19 REPLIES
passer
Grafter

With all due respect Mike, and with acknowledgement of your genuine attempt to help (I've been following the saga on the PUG site), I feel that the request for this information is just another timewasting tactic.

These speed problems appear to be affecting the whole of the PlusNet community, are not geographically specific, and morph every time the "Networks guys" unskin the Ellacoya and poke it with a stick. I think we already know what the problems are caused by.

I know, you know, your namesake knows, the Network guys know, and everyone who reads this forum knows. PlusNet have oversold their capacity. It isn't going to change. Placing orders for a new central which will be installed next year under the new pricing regime (April?) is no good in the short term.

The present management team have no intention of doing anything other than making mealy-mouthed observations and thinking up delaying tactics such as this one. The CS staff who venture onto the forum won't answer direct questions, and are extremely selective about which posts they acknowledge. Once the takeover is completed, all plans are off anyway, so they won't make any. Procrastination is the order of the day.
N/A

Results posted Mike...hopefuly PN will acknowledge that there is a problem with the latest Ellacoya tweaks.
N/A

Brandon,

THAT is exactly why I am issuing this rallying call for stats, evidence and information. Todays service status stated that only 25% of customers are experiencing speed issues. Well, that's not what our evidence leads us to believe since we are seeing the same results consistently.

If we can collate as many results as possible, in one place, and then point the network guys at the thread then they are going to have to respond with facts.

We will also be able to report this on the PUG site and elsewhere so the more evidence we can get, the stronger the case.

PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE take part!!!!

(and thanks to those who have submitted info!)
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 62

Thanks for this Mike BTW, will help keep things in a central place and I think you've covered all the details that will be of help to us.

Rgds,

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Products Team
If I've been helpful then please give thanks ⤵

Community Veteran

I agree - its a plain as day what the problem is, its capacity, pure and simple.

PN havetreated the introduction of the ellacoyas as the answer to every single problem. We are now seeng gamers hit by massive lag, http downloads for some crawing, and the less said about P2P the better.

Ive given PN every opportunity to improve, an sadly then now even start to hack off people like me who download less than 4GB peak and just want a decent gaming experience.

Ellacoyas are not the answer, and asking people to provideevidence is just pathetic. PN know as well as anyone what the issue is, but nobody has got the brass tacks to stand up and admit that they have underinvested in capacity, and instead oncentrated on some stupid experiment to see if ellacoyas can be the magic answer to these issues.

We were promised gaming restrictions would be removed later today, and as yet I see no evidence of that, but what I do see, is my gaming sessions on XBLIVE lagging like hell again.

We want to know what is being done to address this and we all want to know now!
N/A

Todays service status stated that only 25% of customers are experiencing speed issues.

Haha..ONLY 25% , ohh well..no problem then :roll: Wink
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 62

And where have we said that there isn't a problem?

Rgds,

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Products Team
If I've been helpful then please give thanks ⤵

N/A

Please accept my apology then Bob, i'm sorry...you haven't said there isn't a problem.
The sarcasm starts to slip out when things go tits up around here.
N/A

I will be honest Plus Net Sucks at the moment, Told to get BT speedtest but how can I when the page won't load properly due to naff speeds and server busy errors.. diabolical speeds from 430pm onwards upload speeds are alot worse than download....130kbps...seriously looking at migrating elsewhere
N/A

Rgds,

Lack of service status information during the evenings when there have been the problems, coupled with the fact that on calling up your customer support centre the agents aren't aware of any problem and say that Networks also aren't aware of a problem too, would seem to imply (even if you haven't said it) that "there isn't a problem", wouldn't it?
N/A

I will be honest Plus Net Sucks at the moment, Told to get BT speedtest but how can I when the page won't load properly due to naff speeds and server busy errors.. diabolical speeds from 430pm onwards upload speeds are alot worse than download....130kbps...seriously looking at migrating elsewhere

With all due respect. If you were to go and do the BT speed test then this would eliminae Plusnet from the equation. Basically you would need to change the login details in your router tot he bt test account and do a speed test.
If you cannot et this page loaded then the speed has nothing to do with Plusnet but rather more BT, Your line or your exchange contention.

Regards,
Community Veteran

I intended to do a comparison, however, when I try to conduct a speed test after logging into the speedtest@speedtest_domain, I get an error stating that the number I enetered (in the telephone number box) does not match that listed in their records. Weird.

Is there an updated set of instructions on performing a specific BT test?
passer
Grafter

That's a bug, chesterfield. I get that sometimes, but after retrying several times it gets through. The BT Speedtester seems to be a very busy application of late. I've been using this link:

http://www.speedtester.bt.com/
Community Veteran

Thanks for that, Ill keep trying. Smiley