cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Truncated e-mails

cardsharp
Dabbler

Truncated e-mails

I have discovered that e-mails to my domain are being truncated by PlusNet. I have filed a call (id: 2220648Cool but it does appear to be fairly serious.

Any e-mail (well, all that I have tried) is truncated when there is a single period (".") at the start of a line. The message is truncated from this point.

It is not an HTML issue, and the problem can be seen in WebMail so it is not e-mail client-related. It does not occur with ".." at the start of the line!

Anyone else seen this?
8 REPLIES
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 62

Truncated e-mails

Anyone else seen this?

Yes.

I saw a problem a while back where there was an intermittent issue causing Dspam to leave a single full stop on a line. This caused Exim to believe that the email had ended, thus truncating the rest of it, including any attachments.

Not sure if this is the same thing. I'll try and find out.

Rgds,

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Products Team
If I've been helpful then please give thanks ⤵

Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

Truncated e-mails

Problem now being investigated.

I've passed your ticket back to you.

Kind Rgds,

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Products Team

p_w_d_stone
Grafter

Truncated e-mails

Don't know if this is the problem, but we also use SquirrelMail at the University where I work, and anything after a "--" is greyed out and almost impossible to see. The text is still there and viewed if highlighted, but is almost invisible to the naked eye.

With most users using "--" prior to signature and busily forwarding and/or replying to messages threads rapidly became pointless. The only work around we found was to-
a) not use a signature for forwards and/or replies
b) set the client to add the signature at the end of the combined message, not your contribution to it.
c) change "--" to "-" or "---".

Messages display correctly in clients regardless.

If your problem only occurs on webmail this may be a similar (intentional) quirk of SquirrelMail.
cardsharp
Dabbler

Truncated e-mails

PN has determined its Anti-Spam solution is the cause and is currently testing a fix.
p_w_d_stone
Grafter

Truncated e-mails

I didn't spot that Shockedops:
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

Truncated e-mails

Don't know if this is the problem, but we also use SquirrelMail at the University where I work, and anything after a "--" is greyed out and almost impossible to see. The text is still there and viewed if highlighted, but is almost invisible to the naked eye.

Hi Peter,

This is unrelated to the problem being discussed in this thread. The behaviour you're describing is intentional AFAIK.

With most users using "--" prior to signature and busily forwarding and/or replying to messages threads rapidly became pointless.

The signature separator (dash, dash, space) is a recognised convention. Many email clients (Thunderbird being one) will strip anything after this separator when replying. That's one of its purposes.

The only work around we found was to-

Do you need to use a signature in these circumstances?

b) set the client to add the signature at the end of the combined message, not your contribution to it.

This is the recommended convention.

Which kind of evades the point of the separator but would work.

Messages display correctly in clients regardless.

I'd agree that this down to SquirrelMail not handling the separator as gracefully as a standalone client.

Kind Rgds,

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Products Team

N/A

Truncated e-mails

PN has determined its Anti-Spam solution is the cause and is currently testing a fix.

Just like to add that I have also been having problems with receiving truncated emails like this - I've added my username to the problem's page and will await a fix eagerly! :?

Deb.
p_w_d_stone
Grafter

Truncated e-mails

The behaviour you're describing is intentional AFAIK.

This is intentional- I don't look after mail servers, simply work on the helpdesk, but I was the one getting the call about "missing forwards" so I did some research.

The signature separator (dash, dash, space) is a recognised convention. Many email clients (Thunderbird being one) will strip anything after this separator when replying. That's one of its purposes.

In the Faculty area where this problem was reported most computers had been set up by a member of staff using a template with two rather than three dashes. Unfortunately the issue of where signatures should be added was not considered either.

The only work around we found was to-

Do you need to use a signature in these circumstances?

The University requires that a disclaimer is added to all outgoing messages, since these may includes forwards and (more often) replies it has been a long standing policy that clients are set up to include a signature in all circumstances. Perhaps a more elegant solution might be to append all messages leaving the network with a disclaimer, preventing incorrectly set up users/workstations ignoring the policy through ignorance. The disclaimer could also then be used with a Faculty specific (Faculties are assigned blocks of IP's) marketing message to inform recipients about new courses etc. Unfortunately, since this requires both money, infrastructure and development time this suggestion was dropped.

This is the recommended convention.

This is what we did when physically present at a workstation.

Which kind of evades the point of the separator but would work.

This was a relatively straight-forward work-around to take someone through over the phone, I always asked users reporting this to change their signature to three dashes as you have stated above. With users working across the East of England it was not always possible to have immediate access to their machines.