cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

True/False: Most providers are taking part in the LLU option

N/A

Hi, looking for some fact checking advice.

Have been asking to be transferred back from LLU for some weeks, primarily in order to transfer out, as my understanding is the majority of ISPs are not taking part in the LLU trial. After not getting a clear answer for some time - eg "the details of what's required to transfer back to IPStream will be published shortly", I think the answer is pretty much no. Here's the last exchange:

========
Me:

I have asked you to migrate me back as doing so appears to have not only stopped my service, 25 days ago, but also limit my options to move supplier elsewhere. I originally asked this exactly 14 days ago, so had you actioned then I would presumably have a working service.

I will ask you again to migrate me - a simple "yes" or "no" will suffice; then I can consider my options.

xxxxxx CSC Agent:

Dear Mr xxxxxxx
My colleague has answered your question. You are still on the LLU product and we are trying to fix your fault. Your options are not limited as most providers are taking part in the LLU option and so will be able to take on your service should you wish to move. Thank you.

Regards,
xxxxxxxx

=======

So, is it the the case that most providers are taking part in LLU?

If so, anyone advise when this became the case?

Oh, there's also the other small issue that my BB service hasn't worked at all since I was LLU'd. So transferring back seems kind of an obvious move. But that's not the specific issue here.

Cheers
7 REPLIES
N/A

Last time I heard, Plusnet said the ISPs accepting LLU MAC's was very limited, and thus you needed to ask the isp's you were considering moving to and ask them if they accepted such MAC codes before PN would even raise a finger.
N/A

My experience leads me to believe that not many ISPs will take LLU MAC codes. I am in the throws of moving to Sky, they initially said they would take a LLU MAC code but then realised they couldn't, so I'm having to cancel PN subscription and suffer 2 weeks of no broadband while both my line goes back to BT and Sky setup my account.

I know Ofcom are aware of this problem and I believe that next year there will be guidelines in place that will make it alot easier for customers to transfer between ISPs whether they are on LLU or not.

It's a shame these rules aren't in place now!
N/A

Well, have now been given a definite no to a transfer (or at least a free transfer) and still no sign of any BB service, so I guess it's time to leave PN. Only question is whether to go via LLU MAC or complete ceaseation of service.
N/A

AFAIK All MAC codes are voluntary - ISP's aren't obliged to provide them at all. It just so happens that they all(?) do.
I recall mention of a voluntary code of practice, but signing up to it doesn't really give much guarantee, nor does not signing up imply any that an ISP isn't following it.

As far as LLU MAC's, I believe that the systems for creating and using them is in trial, and as such, not all ISP's are currently using them, either in, or out.
PN are one of the ISP's who are taking part in the trial, and are working with wholesale suppliers to streamline and improve the process.

Recalling discussion some time ago, ISP's, OFCOM and BTW recognised that the tools for the transfer using IPStream MAC's were not good enough, and required improvement to ease the transfer between suppliers. I presume the intention is to bring LLU MAC's to the stage where the transfer process is at least as good as the IPStream system.

Obviously this will take time, but fortunately we have ISP's who are prepared to take on the extra headache to develop these tools and processes. Unfotunately we are customers of one such ISP, which means we inherit the headaches and pitfalls of the development processes.
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 5

Sky will happily take LLU MACs. I've had 2 people (one on Tiscalli LLU with PlusNet and one on ZEN LLU) transfer over to Sky using LLU MACs with no problem at all.

Phil
N/A

Cheers, but not a Sky customer and don't intend to be one! Wink Might go for the Orange deal.

But really I should have a free choice of all providers without being financially penalised for having been moved to LLU.

I can't see how this is the case if there's any question that the majoity of ISPs won't take a MAC code.

If I've misunderstood something, please let me know.
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 5

I'm pretty sure Orange do (or did). I had someone who was going from Zen LLU and was looking at Orange (just as it was becoming Orange). He might have changed his mind and gone somewhere else, but Orange did say they would take his LLU MAC. Things could have changed there though.

Phil