cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Trouble renewing IP address and lowering IP profile

N/A

Hi all.

Last week I had a few problems connecting - asking XP to repair the connection just came back with the message " could not renew your ip address"

When I eventually did manage to reconnect, my IP profile had been knocked back to 500kbps (from 5000 - 5500)

Each time I checked the sync rate on the router, it's been around 6000.

After a couple of days my IP profile was bumped slightly to 1000, then a couple days later 1500 (synch rate not lower than 6000)

I guessed this may have been to do with all the rain. Although frustrated by the slow progress back to normal speeds, I was going to let it go.

Now, today and yesterday I've had the same problems connecting again. I've just managed to reconnect this evening after 5 or 6 attempts, and again my IP profile is down to 500kbps.

It was rainy yesterday when I couldn't connect, but it's been fine today.

Is there anything I can do about this, or am I doomed to wait a couple of weeks to get back to normal speeds after each downpour?

Cheers

Tim
2 REPLIES
Plusnet Staff
Plusnet Staff
Fixes: 1

Hi,

From the pattern it certainly sounds like the rain is causing the sync speed to drop which in turn is causing the IP profile to drop. A decrease in sync speed, even if it's only for a few minutes will cause the IP profile to drop and it will only increase if the sync speed remains higher for 3-5 days.

Chances are the rain is flooding some underground cabling or part of the cable is damaged. I'd suggest first just to have a read through this to see if anything helps:

http://usertools.plus.net/tutorials/id/13

If not have a look at the phone cable if you can and see if you can spot any obvious damage (don't worry if you can't) and from there raise it as a fault via our fault checker (under connection settings on the left). On the final page include as much information as you can about the patterns and we can run some remote line testing.
N/A

Thanks, Dave.

I'll get a new cable and splitter tomorrow to be on the safe side. If the problems recur next time it rains (won't have to wait long for that...) I'll raise a fault.

Cheers

Tim