cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Trapped by Plusnet

SimonJDay
Grafter

Trapped by Plusnet

I wont go in to the details why (just read the discussion forums) but I want to leave PlusNet. I've been a customer for a year, my contract is up and I'm happy to pay the deferred activation + modem etc to migrate elsewhere.

However PlusNet wont let me leave! Apparently I'm only able to settle this amount by credit/debit card or cheque, none of which I have after making the conscious decision several years ago to live without credit (other than a mortgage).

I explained the situation to PlusNet and suggested that they adjust my direct debit amount to take the final payment, but they refused to do this and repeated that this could only be settled by the means mentioned above. They suggested I ask to borrow someone else's credit/debit card details or alternatively send them a bankers cheque. I carried out a little investigation, but no one was willing to give PlusNet their debit or credit card details on my behalf. I checked with the bank and they advised me they would charge me some silly amount for a cheque of eighty odd quid.

I relayed this back to PlusNet and suggested that, as I was going to have to pay an extra amount to settle this amount by a bankers cheque, they deduct the bank charge from my deferred activation. I got the same token response as previous, "we can only accept settlement of this amount by credit/debit card or cheque". As helpful as ever PlusNet.

I'm also pretty sure that when I took out Broadband Premier Option 1, I didn't need a credit or debit card, so why do I have to have one to leave?

So, as they are unable, or more likely, can't be bothered to help and discriminate against those without credit facility, I'm stuck!

I've written off to Computer Active Magazine and Ofcom, as well as the ISPA for advice. But whilst I await a response from them, does anybody else have any suggestions? Or does anyone care to lend me their credit card details so I can leave?

Simon
10 REPLIES
N/A

Trapped by Plusnet

Have you asked for an option to pay via BACS? BACS is free, and takes a few days to clear (like debit card and cheque payments), and would go straight to their bank account.
SimonJDay
Grafter

Trapped by Plusnet

I have asked them for other options, but I keep getting the same "We only accept credit/debit card or cheque".

So PlusNet, would you accept a BACS payment?

Thanks for the suggestion Fairdinkum.
N/A

Trapped by Plusnet

You have a bank account then surely you would have a debit card. How do you access your money without it?

If you have a debit card then you can pay PN.....
Plusnet Staff
Plusnet Staff
Fixes: 1

Trapped by Plusnet

Hi,

We don't normally accept BACS payments but as a one-off this can be done as we have this set up for Metronet.

The details are

Bank: Bank of Scotland
Account number: 06044524
Sort code: 12-08-83
Reference: Account username
glloyd
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

Trapped by Plusnet

Good question, and how would he pay back someone willing to lend him their credit card?

You have a bank account then surely you would have a debit card. How do you access your money without it?

If you have a debit card then you can pay PN.....
N/A

Trapped by Plusnet

The OP's card is most likely an ATM card and nothing more. It is still possible to get those, without either cheque guarantee or Visa/Maestro debit card as part of it.
N/A

Trapped by Plusnet

Wow! Never realized that....
SimonJDay
Grafter

Trapped by Plusnet

Hi,

We don't normally accept BACS payments but as a one-off this can be done as we have this set up for Metronet.

The details are

Bank: Bank of Scotland
Account number: 06044524
Sort code: 12-08-83
Reference: Account username

Thank you very much dtomlinson, I'll revert back to the help & support section with this information.

simonargent, with a cash card.
N/A

Trapped by Plusnet

I fail to see how anyone could consider a cheque or debit card a kind of credit, but it's nice to see how plusnet have helped Smiley
SimonJDay
Grafter

Trapped by Plusnet

I fail to see how anyone could consider a cheque or debit card a kind of credit, but it's nice to see how plusnet have helped Smiley

Well, I mainly class it as credit because it is credit.

And besides, this thread was not about my lifestyle choice, this was about PlusNet giving me an alternative method to settle an oustanding credit, which they very kindly have.